Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tapered forks – different sizes?
  • dknwhy

I’ve got a 2013 Scott scale 960. THIS one.
    I was under the impression that it has a tapered fork. The fork tapers in diameter and the headset cups are 40mm to 50mm.
    I’ve just bought a used travers carbon fork (mk1). The taper is bigger and won’t fit the existing headset.
    Help!

wwaswas

Head Tube Diameter 1-1/8″

Why did you think it was tapered? (not trying to be funny)

Also, the headset in the bike spec looks like it’s for 1 1/8″ headtubes.

dknwhy

I’ve had straight steerer forks before. This one definitely tapers. Not as much as the travers one but it’s different from top to bottom.

wwaswas

even 1 1/8 forks flare a little where the crown race sits. Have you measured the original ones?

Also measure the internal diameter of the top and bottom headset bearings.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are you talking about a very minor taper to crown race?

dknwhy

I’ve put the bike back together now… 🙁

@joshvegas it’s probably 1/4 – 1/2 inch wider at the bottom where it flares for the crown race.
    My previous hardtail had no flare whatsoever which is why I assumed this one was tapered.

njee20
    Free Member

It must have done, otherwise the crown race wouldn’t fit, it was just possibly gradual, rather than stepped. Only needs to be a couple of mm, which you wouldn’t notice by eye.

There are other tapers – I had a Trek road bike which was 1.125″-1.25″, Principia did the same, but all road AFAIK, and definitely not on a Scale.

khani
    Free Member

The bike you listed has a 1-1/8th fork with a 44mm semi integrated headset, to fit a tapered fork you’ll need a new external fit lower headset cup to fit a 1.5 to 1-1/8th tapered fork, the top cup will be ok
    As said above 1-1/8th forks have a slight taper for the crown race,

lovewookie

^^ what he said, the 44/50 reference is the headtube dimensions 44mm ID/50mm OD. 50mm is the measurement of the overall diameter of the flange bit of the semi integrated headset.

dknwhy

Ok. Thanks all. So the frame is fine to fit a tapered fork, I just need to buy a new headset lower?
    Can someone provide a link to a suitable headset lower cup?

otsdr
    Free Member

Hope “H” cup or an EC44/40 cup from any other manufacturer.
    You may run into a situation where the insertion depth of the cup is greater than that of the frame, in this case the cup needs to be machined down.

dknwhy

Excellent. Thank you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tapered forks – different sizes?’ is closed to new replies.