Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tall folk – waht all day bike with a few inches of travel both ends
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

I know it's been done before, but I'm in the market for something new and being 2m tall it's a bit of an issue.

I'd perfer to stay with 26 wheels so I can mix and match parts across several bikes, but am open to a 29er. Want it for general riding with 4-5 inches rear travel and would prefer a bolt through fork. Budget is up to a grand.

I like the look of the Spec Pitch, but it may just be a bit too much for most of my riding. The trance also looks OK and comes in biiig sizes.
    Anything else out there??

ampthill

Full suspension. bolt through fork £1000. In huge sizes

Not sure they exhisit

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

If you are feeling a little more flush, I can highly recommend a Sultan.

EDIT: Never saw the budget!, For a grand, I would stick to 26" wheels for sure.

chriswilk
    Free Member

For my budget I'm expecting some compromises, and second hand for sure, just wondering where to concentrate my search on.

MrTall
    Free Member

As you are the same height as me, if you want 2nd hand you'll get no choice whatsoever, you'll have to buy whatever *may* come up for sale on ebay or the classifieds. Problem is that even many XL bikes will be too small for you. I had a 22" XL Trance (which i sold last year for £850 :-)) but always felt wrong on it. Now on 29ers but if you want a full suss one they are still so niche in the UK that i can't believe you'd get anything 2nd hand.

I'd suggest that unless you get very lucky it'll be best to try and build up a bike from a load of 2nd hand parts sourced from the classifieds.

robgarrioch

If you want to try a size 'L' Pitch, give me a shout Chris, or tag along on one of TBC's night rides & let me know. I'm nowhere near 2m, but I think the 'L' only just suits me at 6' & would suit far taller blokes better. I'm up the Pentlands once or twice most weekends (except tomorrow / Sunday…!) or evenings

chriswilk
    Free Member

Mr Tall –

thanks for the advice. I know what you mean – I've had my HT frame for 10 years or so now as I haven't found anything that fits better. It's a Zaskar that measures at 23".
    Trouble is, a frame is almost as rare as a full build…

I'll keep looking

chriswilk
    Free Member

robgarrioch – I've sat on a L Pitch at EBC and it's defo too small for me. Out of interest how do you find it riding round the Pentlands? Is it a bit of a dog on the climbs and the descents don't really warrant it either?? (I may have a route to a XL pitch)

TooTall
    Free Member

You'll not see a Specialized 29er FS on these shores – I don't think they are doing anything.

You're in the 99th percentile for height – thats taller than 99% of people on the planet – not the UK – the world.

Manufacturers usually make for something close to the 70th percentile – as in from 15th to 85th percentile – the averages. There is almost no profit outside this banding as the market is so small (the very tall and the very small – although since we all start off small, this end is easier to accommodate).

It took me this to realise I was never going to find the bargains and, if I wanted something, it might cost me more. You'll be very hard pushed to find anything comfortable in your price range with those requirements. 29ers (IMHO would suit you more) are in the minority and thus more scarce – the FS side is only now getting sorted.

Save up more, plan a holiday to the USA and come back with more than a smile!

robgarrioch

how do you find it riding round the Pentlands?

Somewhat overkill! :mrgreen:

It can feel a little blunt-instrument-like. Although it's a touch harder work climbing, with the sl-aaack head angle & give at the back, there's better traction with the rear than the hardtail – cleaned the east side of Capelaw on it for the first time this week, f'rinstance. Descents barely register, unless White Hill's on the route, but are still huge fun; the wheelbase & head angle make it very stable.
    Did you ride the EBC one very far? Only ask as I hear a lot about guys riding a size down from normal.. Anyway, your welcome to have a go anytime, with spd's on..

willard

Chris,

Just been through exactly the same thing as you. I'm just a fraction shorter than you and there are _NO_ secondhand bikes around at the moment for people of out stature. I did see a Commencal Meta on the bay for about a grand, and there was an XL Stumpy on the other week that went for 1400 notes, but that's about it.

Just checked the Meta, it's ended: (linky

I ended up throwing in the towel and just buying a new hardtail from Merlin. (sorry, still happy about it, so had to mention it again).

barney
    Free Member

If a pitch is too much for most of your riding, do you need FS at all?What about a hardtail 29er? A lot more bang for your buck, and more likely to fit. I'd recommend at least trying something like a Singular Swift XL. It should be just the right side of flickable for you – loong top tube (the most important thing) and I'm constantly amazed by how capable mine is at all sorts of riding 🙂

Also, I've got no idea what they're like these days, but the old GT iDrives (1999 ones) used to be absolutely HUGE – the XL was way too big for me, and I'm 194cm.

Good luck!

crazy-legs

I'll sell you my S-Works Epic frame if you want. XL (I'm 6'3"), it fits me perfectly, there's still plenty of length/adjustment in the seatpost as well. Brain shock (adjustable), 90mm travel rear, will take up to 110mm forks without a problem and makes a great all-day XC bike as well as XC racing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I've got a Cannondale Jekyll XL frame with headset converters and I don't want that much for it It's the last version with 135mm rear travel

it was big for me at 191cm so should be perfect for you at 2m

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There is only one.

bonesetter
    Free Member

My suggestion would be 29" frame and build it up

TA fork – there's only the Reba Team or Manitou. Reba's are very scarce on the ground, so choice there looks academic.

You could go for a HT Banshee Paradox – very fun bike and takes 2.4 in the rear so plenty of cush. Not sure what the biggest size is. I know you asked for suspension but the 29" wheel in the Paradox gives alot. The other choices would be Swift of Niner (although I'm not personally a Niner fan)

An excellent choice would be a custom steel HT 8)

Specialized decided not to offer 29er's in the UK following last years sales figures. I picked an FSR Stumpjumper frame (5") from the US (1K GBP). That's going over your budget though, but maybe you could stretch it

chriswilk
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, but….

I have a hardtail that I'm happy with.
    I want a full sus, and as has been said there are very few of them in 29er and what there are are way beyond my budget.

So I'm looking for a 26 full sus in XL.

crazy legs and big n daft – do you have more info on the frames. Age, price, pics, etc??

ampthill

Sorry I didn't see that you meant used

I'm 6 foot 4. Just bought a trek fuel ex 6.5 ridden once for 800. So far its great, only had 2 short rides on it

I found this on ebay

I think there is a big specialized pitch on e bay at the moment

chriswilk
    Free Member

ampthill – keep quiet about the pitch on the bay – the less people know about it the better for me (hopefully)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

ygm

crazy-legs

Chris, will drop you an email later tonight when I'm home.

ampthill

sorry was that the one with the repair weld painted over. I know there was a reason that I steered clear…..

chriswilk
    Free Member

ampthill – didn't know there was one with a repair weld.
    just didn't want too many people looking at this – better chance of me getting it for what I can afford.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

The trance also looks OK and comes in biiig sizes.

I have a 2008 XL Trance (100mm version). It says 22" on the box but I've measured it as being 20.5" c-t. It's long enough but only just tall enough for me at 1.97m. It is a cracking all-day xc bike though. I believe Giant aren't importing XL Trance-X bikes this year (which would be over your budget anyway). Kona import their bikes in decent sizes though.

Reckon my next bike will be a 29er hardtail.

IA

I've an 08 XL trance too, and I'm 1.94, it's big enough, but I have still got a fair bit of post out.

Great bike.

ampthill

ampthill – didn't know there was one with a repair weld.
    just didn't want too many people looking at this – better chance of me getting it for what I can afford.

I was just trying to keep the price low on the one you fancied….

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

XL Flux,or maybe a 5-Spot?
    Thanx Max

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tall folk – waht all day bike with a few inches of travel both ends’ is closed to new replies.