Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • talking to babies…
  • Mugboo

I totally understand what the OP means. It comes naturally to some folk and not to others! 🙄

Weird thing is that since having one (5 1/2mnth old) i have turned into raspberry blowing, rhyming machine… 😯

Think its just a fact that till you have one you just won’t get it.

enfht
    Free Member

+1 mugboo

anagallis_arvensis

All babies are shit apart from your own women just dont understand this about men.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

All babies are shit apart from your own women just dont understand this about men.

Oh, Women understand men are babies and full of crap…

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, Women understand men are babies and full of crap…

Well, if we are doing crass generalisations…..

Edit: For JY and fairness.

Junkyard
    Free Member

to be fair she did not start it and I thought it was a rather witty reply
    A-A you speak for yourself on this issue you cannot speak for all men.
    I worked with children for years before having my own and was able to interact with kids and do as Mrs Grips has suggested. Perhaps some of us are just not like you and say sensitive and caring? You have no authority to explain what all men think on this issue. When I speak on an issue i speak for myself and not all men just as you do.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was not exposed to babies at all until I met Mrs Grips. Consequently, I had no idea how to interact. Now I’ve spent time with other people’s kids and I have my own, I find it much easier to interact and therefore more fun 🙂

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Aw come on now, you boys don’t do yourselves any help my allowing yourselves to be marginalised when it comes to babies and kids. Women don’t necessarily know more or less than you (and women are fools to act like they do know in many cases). Most people have no idea what to do with babies or little kids. What you got to do is just get stuck in. Approach them like you would learning about a new computer game (i.e. look up ‘cheats’ online about child development and games you can play with certain age groups) or the way you’d approach learning about your new car…look for an ‘owner’s manual’ once again basic books or online sites about child development and what to expect at certain stages or growth.
    Don’t let people (i.e women) make you feel silly or stupid for trying to figure things out or doing things your own way. There’s not really wrong ways of doing things (especially in the very early years). And bloody well stop acting like it’s all about women and the child. No matter if women are pre programmed to know abt babies or not (which in my personal opinion is a bunch of bullsh**) that’s no reason to let them have all the fun. Babies aren’t some mystery only the female sex can understand.
    Gender equality means you guys have to do some work too…yeah it’s easier to just say I don’t get it, it has nothing to do with me… but really, don’t be such wusses. You’re just as important to child development as women… And if you continue acting like it’s something that’s just beyond you then you’re going to continue to miss out on learning and being a part of some really amazing things.

anagallis_arvensis

you are all very serious arent you.

Jamie
    Free Member

you are all very serious arent you.

It’s the internet. It’s always serious.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice try say something about us rather than defend/elaborate on your own view…. I think that is page 4: Internet arguing for dummies iirc.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ask them what they think about budget deficit, or 29ers?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

apparently 1-4% of people just dont have the genes for empathy and so unless babies are yours your just not going to be interested. the medical term is psychopath but this conjours images of axe wielding maniacs so dont tell your wife your a psychopath, just copy what others do and no-one will ever know

anagallis_arvensis

OK JUnkyard my point of view is pretty much as stated, I never had any intrest in babies, indeed I had never held one until my own popped into view and I still have very little interest in other peoples babies. This doesnt stop me loving my own and doing everything I’m supposed to do. I dont think this is unusual amongst men.

me holding a baby for the first time!

although I dont think I’m as extreme as stated above, I am afterall a Teacher, like kids babies are just a bit dull

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve got the rocky rocky thing straight away though. I think it’s instinctive 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

I always just think of babies as being little people. Just have a chat with them like you might with anyone else except the swearing (and accept that their responses might be slightly limited)

Oh and never the stupid high pitched baby speak voice with babies and toddlers, babies like a nice deep voice, and even quite young children hate being patronised by people talking to them like babies.

Although with our baby, ‘talking’ to her is mainly really about providing yourself as a handy climbing frame, just now as I was writing this she climbed up me and over my head.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘talking to babies…’ is closed to new replies.