Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Talk to me; Pike 454 vs Sektor solo air on a Blue Pig X
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I currently have a dual air 454 Pike which I’m pretty happy with but the seed of upgraditis is planted in my mind. The idea of shedding a little weight and gaining 10mm more travel is interesting; although I don’t think it will feel all that different.

If the Sektors were MoCo would there be much in other than the weight? Also what are opinions of 15mm Maxle vs 20mm? If it helps compare I’m looking at a standard steerer Sektor, although a tapered one in budget wouldn’t be out of the question.

In my mind I reckon it would feel pretty similar but knock some unnecessary heft from the bike. However, if Sektors are too flexy the confident ride I like will be compromised. In terms of solo vs dual air I tend to have near equal pressures so don’t see that as a step down.

So; a worthwhile upgrade or a pointless swap?

Cheers 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

pointless swap

HermanShake
    Free Member

Even though it could be aboot 200g?

Unless the weights I’m using are off I’ve read 2041g and 1837g respectively. If they ride the same that’s a weight saving I’d struggle to make easily elsewhere in one go without giving up uppydowny luxury.

robhughes
    Free Member

Keep the pikes.Love mine and don,t think i,d ever sell them..
    Might even have a word with Si at loco to see if voodoo can be performed on them. 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

Are the Pikes tapered steerer?

HermanShake
    Free Member

The Pikes are 1 1/8″ (I think all Pikes are), I have enough headtube for a tapered fork though.

I noticed the new Argyle looks identical to the Pike, although feature low speed compression and a Ravey Davey paint job:

They weigh a smidge less, but probably due to not having the odd little steerer plug!

Hmmm, teh Pikes are winning.

Simon

I had Pike 409 on my Prophet. Coil spring and steel steerer made them lardy.
    Swapped them for some 15mm Revelation RLs to save some weight, they’re not as stiff but have nicer damping.
    If your 454s are working OK, stick with ’em.

Northwind

Argyll has a lot of Pike DNA.

TBH unless it’s got an upgrade to the damping over your old moco fork, it won’t be worth it, but you can do quite a bit better than a Pike these days.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Pike + PUSH damper unit from TF Tuned for the win. It’ll be cheaper than a new fork and probably much better too.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

love my sektor 20mm axel solo air. really really good fork.

LoCo
    Free Member

Can upgrade internals in the Pike, as good as or better than Push kit, the damping will be better than a standard sektor.
    Although the sektors can be upgraded at time of supply too, to give a weight saving and better performance.

BadlyWiredDog

If you want to do upgrades, get a dual flow rebound damper for the Pike. Makes a big difference on repeated, high-speed hits and cheaper than the PUSH upgrade too.

LoCo
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog exactly and can be tuned too 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Just out of interest, is the RCT3 damper better than the Black Box or standard MoCo units to the point where you’d notice it and if so, what’s the difference in performance? I remember you were messing about with one earlier this year, I think?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes better, separte piston on bottom of moco with shim stack, just more control and adjustment.
    Quite a different unit to the Blackbox mocos from 2011 and before.

tomaso
    Free Member

A set of Revelations from Merlin can be had quite cheaply and would be lighter than the Sektors.

How much you will notice the difference in stiffness really must depend on how hard you push your bike.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d go with LoCo and get the dual flow damper. He knows his stuff.

I have both Pikes and Revelations on my bikes. The damping is nicer on the Revs but are no way near as stiff. Next time I need to service my Pikes I’ll be exploring the damping upgrade options.

SammyC
    Free Member

@LoCo

What sort of price would I be looking at to bring my Pike 426s into the 21st century? Pretty much borked MoCo damper (oil stays in it for all of 20 seconds!) and probably needs new bushes too.

LoCo
    Free Member

Drop me mail 😉

Mugboo

My Pikes have newer Rebound from Loco, works really well.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Well! Things have certainly changed.

I now have a tapered Maxle Lite Revelation RCT3 dual position on the way 😀

£290 at Winstanley’s HERE.

So I get a strongly recommended dual flow damper, tapered steerer, 400g less fork and a few new functions to fettle with.

Cheers for the feedback, it’s been really helpful.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of those on my Stumpjumper all year and they are a great fork. Really capable, light, adjustable and reliable. Enjoy!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me; Pike 454 vs Sektor solo air on a Blue Pig X’ is closed to new replies.