Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Talk to me about Shimano MW81 Gore Tex Winter spd's
  • cardo

Any good?…. too hot or just right for what isn’t going to be an Indian Winter?

cheez0
    Free Member

great, I wear em all year round.. exmoor summers etc.

some may moan that they aren’t as waterproof as they’d like, however if my feet get wet for whatever reason (riding across tarr steps).. at least my tootsies don’t get cold.
    x

doom_mountain

They’re brilliant.
    I use them for touring and mtbing, as above they aren’t invincible if it’s lashing it down… but they’re nice and warm.
    I wear them a lot more than just winter time.

druidh
    Free Member

I had my MW80s on this week. 7-8C and rain is enough to warrant them.

br
    Free Member

I’ve used MW80’s and they were great – just need a good deal on a pair of 81’s – anyone?

darrell
    Free Member

am still using some MW02’s from about 2004. still going strong and very very useful here in Norway

sonofapitch
    Free Member

My misses just got some from chaino’s £104 bargin. 🙂
    I’ve had mw80’s for 3 years now and if they are anything like them then worth every pound.

rone

they’re very water proof, in as far as you’ve got one big hole in each shoe!

But they’re terrific, use them a good portion of the year even out of winter.

tomd
    Free Member

Thumbs up from me too, used them through winter and spring. Very comfy,, stiff and waterproof so long as the water’s not running down your leg.

Popocatapetl

I’d advise you to try them on with your riding socks before you buy. I’ve got size 9’s (43) and there a bit tight and could have done with a ten really. They are very good though and have used the M80’s for 3 years now.

cardo

Thanks for that, so overall a big thumbs up. really could have done with them last night. 🙂

cudubh

seriously relieved to see the positive comments as I ordered a pair yesterday afternoon. My wife has the MW80s and she swears by them.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any difference between the mw80’s and mw81’s?

mine are a few years old, but i swear by them so if the newer version are better still then id be intereested!

transapp
    Free Member

Mine turn up from crc today, £105 at the moment

continuity
    Free Member

How do people feel about these vs a pair of overshoes and some thick wool socks?

Superficial
    Free Member

Similar price on Merlin but they have all the sizes, not just the random selection CRC had when I was looking.

Mine are a little too hot for summer riding. But that’s fine by me, should be lovely and snug in winter. My size 44s are a bit smaller than my other Shimano size 44 shoes (MP66), so be careful not to buy too small.

DaveRambo

I have a pair of MW80’s that I’ve had for 2 or 3 years.

They’ve been pretty good and I’d replace them with the MW81’s if I needed to right now.

Water can get inside via the neoprene cuff but in my experience only when it’s really wet and on an all day ride.

The velcro straps struggled with the Mayhem mud this year on the third lap with no cleaning. I tend to hose them down with a washer while on my feet and they are fine.

langylad
    Free Member

Wear mine on the road bike with overshoes as well when it is down near zero. Doesn’t keep your feet warm but makes it comfortable enough to ride. They have stood up really well to several winters mud, but i would get a size bigger than normal as they are on the slim side

transapp
    Free Member

Well I’ve gotten and they seem fret. Sadly tray are a size too small so will be going back to crc tomorrow. Plus they’ve now sold out of size 46… Arse biscuits!

cardo

Thanks everyone for the feedback… LBS was having a sale so got a pair they look superbly made and are really comfy… first ride out in them tonight.

kendo954
    Free Member

Trans – are you going up 1 or 2 sizes? Iv 45 in am45 but think ill need 46 in these.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair for a year and I’m really pleased with them. Great for autumn, winter & spring use.

I went up two sizes so I could wear woolie boolie’s and still wiggle my toes e.g normal shoe size 43, cycling shoes 44 and MW81’s size 45.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have MW80 and rate them highly…

Like the look of the new Specialized Defrosters too

I also went up 2 sizes, usually 42 in shoes, 43 in normal cycling shoes, 44 in winter boots

smiff
    Free Member

this might sound dumb but what’s the nearest flat pedal version of these? loved my old mw02s but this’ll be first winter on flats so not sure what to do.

br
    Free Member

I got a pair a couple of weeks ago, 2 sizes up on normal shoe size.

Feet warm and dry, brill.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got them, on my 2nd pr now. First ones (MW80) ripped around the neoprene cuff when I hoiked them on a bit too carelessly (not an issue with newer designs). As above, I would def. recommend a size bigger, but I always have bought one size up in Shimano shoes. I’ve also borrowed some 2 sizes bigger which fitted ok as well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got them (MW80), on my 2nd pr now. First ones ripped around the neoprene cuff when I hoiked them on a bit too carelessly (not an issue with newer designs). As above, I would def. recommend a size bigger, but I always have bought one size up in Shimano shoes. I’ve also borrowed some 2 sizes bigger which fitted ok as well with some sealskin socks.

amt27
    Free Member

second best purchase of the last 12 months,

no need for faffing with seal skin sock liners, seal skin socks, shoes and overshoes anymore,

(best purchase was a bike stand)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Shimano MW81 Gore Tex Winter spd's’ is closed to new replies.