Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Talk to me about cargo trailers…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I fancy a Bob-yak style trailer for amongst other things, firewood gathering. any recommendations for cheaper variants? Can’t really justify £300+

trail_rat
    Free Member

what size is your wheel …..

gratuitious photo that doesn’t help the story at all but we have an EBC bob yak copy and its great for firewood gathering on the cross bike…. how ever as we found out at the van while heading out for a winter camping ride….it doesnt fit a 29er with 2.35 tires on – not even close its about 2.5 inches out. so that photo is mrs T-R pulling the trailer instead of me.

Im probably going to cut its stays up and make some sleeve extensions for it…. and either bolt them or weld them up to be longer so it can be used on 29ers as im building mrs T-R a 29er atm.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Good point. I want to use my Krampus, with 29×3″.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thats a queridoo (?SP) it was about eighty notes.

To be honest for firewood its a bit of a faff for not too much wood, it does go well on the forest trails but its awkward to load logs on securely. I had a loan of a carry freedom flatbed trailer for a while and I think that would carry wood better, I had a sack of coal and a big bag of kindling on it no worries, but it wasn’t good on narrow or bumpy ground.

kcr
    Free Member

Not super cheap, but I can recommend the Carry Freedom trailers. Simple but flexible design and a very good hitch. You can strap pretty much anything to them (I’ve seen a picture of someone towing a fridge).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Carry Freedom do look good, but I’d prefer a single wheel as I intend to get down twisty singletrack (firewood gathering combined with trail-clearing)

sweepy
    Free Member

I would buy a carry freedom tomorrow if you could get all the bits. Apparently with an extension they will take a canadian canoe, but i’ve never found anyone who stocks it.

(For ‘tomorrow’ read ‘at some time in the future when i’ve got that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket’)

And you are right, in the woods the single wheel is better.

STATO
    Free Member

ir. I have a bob-ibex in the garage that fits generously over 29er tyres, you are welcome to borrow it to try over your plus wheels?

Rich.

kcal

I too have a EBC Bob Tak a like as per t_r..

Firewood is a faff, you need to strap it in good and tight, lengths don’t really work. It will carry a good weight, but care needed to balance it when loaded. Almost need a spring stand.

Haven’t used it much of late, but it’s in the shed and doubt it will be discarded. Hadn’t thought of the clearance — it got used on my trusty 26″ MTB and also the hybrid and general purpose bike – used for trail stuff in preparation for – and tidy up after – events like 10 More in Moray – absolutely excelled at that, could horse it down singletrack with no cares at all really..

coastkid
    Free Member

I modded an old BOB Yak trailer i was given to take a 4″ Kite buggy wheel for fetching firewood on the coast, works a treat,
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/cVAHay]FatBob Trailer 009[/url] by Bruce, on Flickr

here is how i did it; FAT BOB Trailer

coastkid
    Free Member

Free heat! 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-TQQB7xTY[/video]

eshershore
    Free Member

Carry Freedom are fantastic, their “lollipop” elastomer hitch is what makes it work so well

I took their stock trailer and modded it by extending the deck with aluminium alloy beam work and a new timber deck, plus side mudguard covers. ours takes 3 bikes with no effort, front wheels come off and go into wheel bags which are secured to each bike

amedias
    Free Member

If you don’t want to splash out on a new one try and find a 2nd hand bob yak.
    Having done the cheap copy thing to test out if a trailer would work for me I bought a 2nd hand older Yak for £75, it is soooo much better than the cheap ones, a lot sturdier and better built, the hitch is actually more faff but more secure, but the main difference is how much better it rides, more stable, less rattling and shaking and the difference becomes more pronounced with heavier loads, they really are the best of the single wheel options.

You’ll need a box, or some make-shift sides for carrying wood though to better contain it, I’ve used big plastic boxes in there for things like that, but also a couple of boards, one each side just slotted in and then pile stuff in.

frood
    Free Member

I’ve got the Queridoo, fits a 29×3 inch tyre. Personally found that it works much better with a smaller wheel as the big wheels/long chainstays on 29+ flexed like Arnie during a Mr Universe competition when loaded up. no such problems on the 26″ bike

project
    Free Member

edinburgh bicycle coop did their own,

also lots of info here http://www.atob.org.uk/bicycle-trailers/, 2 wheels are better than one, be aware of width when passing vehicles, seat post hitch is beter than rear axle hitch as you can use it to pul push trailer around, BMX wheels are stronger than those ordinary small bike wheels, eg more spokes and or metal spoked cast wheels.

They are addictive, and great fun to carry stuff, surprising how fit you get,

maccruiskeen

I would buy a carry freedom tomorrow if you could get all the bits. Apparently with an extension they will take a canadian canoe, but i’ve never found anyone who stocks it.

Its not a question of it being in stock – if you want one ask Nick and he’ll make it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about cargo trailers…’ is closed to new replies.