Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Talk me through a Scottish Enduro Series Race weekend
  • nairnster
    Free Member

Anyone who has done this, can they talk me through how it all works, and what happens etc?

So a rundown from arriving at the venue, registration, how practice works, raceday, timings, transitions, running order in stages etc.

I have a very rough idea, but the SES website doesnt go into much detail.

Or if anyone can point me towards any blogs they have seen of people who have taken part.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Arrive on sat morning go to sign on area. Sing on get your number board, pick a start time for the sunday and get a map for the course. Go out and practice the trails in any order you like.
    Sunday arrive and go collect your timing chip about 30 mins before your start time. Go to start line and wait to be told to set off and then do the trails in numerical order. Once finished hand in timing chip look at your results. Wait for everyone to finish then stand on podium if you have won!

nairnster
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

So there is a start time for the day, but no set time for each stage?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Resurrecting this thread – assuming like other events that you can arrive on Sunday and do not ‘need’ to be there on Saturday?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, you don’t have to practice.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks Nobeer.

Any idea what length of a ride it would be on race day at Fort William? Or any idea what trails they might use?

BoardinBob

Expect 30-40k and 3500-4500ft of climbing.

A mix of the witches trails, fresh cut off piste and some bottom bits of the downhill are likely

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks BB – sounds manageable!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IMO it’s not a bad idea to pretty much write yer first one or two of as learnings, don’t have expectations other than that it will be hard going. Just go and enjoy it.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

One other question – do you have allocated start times for each stage or just head out at when you like?

BoardinBob

You’ll have an allocated start time for the day and theoretical cut off times for each stage but I can’t remember then ever being an issue

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Only asking as I’d likely arrive on Sunday and in my experience that would mean allocation of a late start time no matter what time I actually sign on for the day. The problem with that is generally the faster riders go off later and I am not fast. Not much fun for either me or them if I have to pull over to let them pass….

BoardinBob

It’s very relaxed so if you ask nicely and explain then you’ll get an early start time. You generally go off in groups of 8 it’s not a problem to squeeze in 9

Northwind

The problem with that is generally the faster riders go off later

Not really my experience tbh. I over-worry about holding up fast guys, I find it really offputting and distracting just thinking about the person behind (I genuinely stopped in-stage at the EWS because I was delusionally convinced I was about to get passed, there was nobody there…), so I tend to be towards the back and I don’t find myself surrounded by fast folks. Especially in a wet race they’ll generally want to be through before everything gets cut to shreds.

If you reverse engineer it; as you say, the people who get there last tend to get late start times. That’s because the keenest people have already taken the early ones. Anyone that’s expecting to do well in the race wants to be there early and get out practicing.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Not really sure who to ask BoardinBob- I’ve e-mailed a couple of times about these series and not got a reply. Might just be unlucky! If I hear back from them today that’ll be great but if not it doesn’t matter too much. Thanks for the useful replies.

BoardinBob

Not really sure who to ask

Just ask when you turn up on Sunday and sign on. It’s all very laidback.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks – just got an e-mail from the organisers saying basically that! Watched the Video of last years Fort William round and looked like a nice mix of trail centreish with some off piste. Need to get the transport etc sorted now!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Talk me through a Scottish Enduro Series Race weekend’ is closed to new replies.