Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Taking gels and energy powder abroad
  • Denno17
    Free Member

I’m off to mallorca next week cycling and just sorting bits out to take and a friend has told me gels are a no no to take through customs. A quick Google about gels and customs is not throwing up a lot about travelling through an airport with a case loaded with gels and energy powder. Any experiences or knowledge from you guys would be good.

Oggles
    Free Member

fine in suitcase/bike box.

tomd
    Free Member

Sounds like BS to be honest. Worst that could happen is they think you’re some sort of drugs mule and take you away for a good probing.

globalti
    Free Member

I was a bit nervous about taking powder to South Africa for the Cape Argus but I reckoned that as long as stuff is in its original packaging you’ll be alright. Drug dealers generally use polythene, foil and Sellotape not heat-sealed laminate sachets.

stumpy01

I’ve always taken Torq powder and some gels in my bike bag or main hold luggage. Never had an issue. Probably best to leave it in the original packaging/tub though.

warns74
    Free Member

Best thing to do is take the powder out of the original packaging and put it into very small zip lock bags then hide them about your person.

Edit: I recently did 13 flights to, from and all around Australia with a bike bag and loads of gels, powder, bars etc. Never had a problem.

crazy-legs

I took a tub of Torq energy drink power in my bike box last week, went through security & customs with no trouble at all.
    My hand luggage had a dozen gels in it too (cos I’d forgotten to put them in my bike bag…); again, no comment, no problems.

hooli

globalti – Member
    I was a bit nervous about taking powder to South Africa for the Cape Argus but I reckoned that as long as stuff is in its original packaging you’ll be alright. Drug dealers generally use polythene, foil and Sellotape not heat-sealed laminate sachets

Apologies for the hijack but how did you find the Argus? Its on my list of rides to do at some point in my life.

globalti
    Free Member

Simply stunning; I’ve done it three times and it’s got to be one of the greatest cycling events in the world for the scenery, the support, the organisation and just being in the amazing Cape.

Denno17
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

hooli

Thanks globalti, I need to get planning and saving 😉

jairaj

I don’t think you need to worry about them thinking the gels and powders are drugs. The only problems I can see are if you carry the gels and powder in your carry on luggage. The gels mights be considered liquids and the many packets might put you over the total volume of liquid limit allowed in your carry on luggage. Similar sort of problem with the powder, the container used to carry the powder will be bigger than 100ml so they may not allow that on the carry luggage. If you put it in your hold luggage you will be fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My torq powder leaked in my case, that was a problem. Day one of holiday – wash everything. Binned the case in the end.

turboferret

I’ve had some hand-luggage which was virtually completely full of gels with no issue several times in different airports around the world, so you should be fine.

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Taking gels and energy powder abroad’ is closed to new replies.