Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Taking a new rider out – any tips?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve managed to volunteer to take a female friend (NOT that sort of friend) out riding on Saturday. She has recently discovered the joys of off-road cycling, saying “it’s the only drug where the best bit is coming down!”.
    Thing is, she is really new to the hobby & only has one of those cheapo dual-suss ‘supermarket special’ type bikes. As a single mum she can’t afford owt better at the moment & i’m not going to insinuate that she should – what she has will do her for now.
    We live in the Rochdale/L’boro area & i’m wondering how far i should make the the ride – it’s quite hilly round here for a newbie & i don’t want to upset her!

Surfr
    Free Member

Don’t pull over to let them catch up only to find they are coming up alongside at the same time. Queue much endoing and falling sideways and over bars. Tears followed quickly. Wife needed a large Magnum icecream before things were truely mended. This was only a few hours ago

antigee

don’t forget the photos 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Just start off with a loop of about 10 miles maybe? But be ready to add more bits in if she feels like it.

bassspine
    Free Member

Is there a short circuit you could repeat to let her practise on? Session a trail and get her skills up?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

There are some nice little sections she can practice on – unfortunately they are all up on the top of the local hills, she might not be too happy when we get there!

will
    Free Member

Don’t do what i did:

1st time with my mate from uni, took him down Jacobs Ladder 😆 and the Mamtor route.

2nd time with my girlfriend. Took her all the way around Ladybower, not hard, but never seen anybody so determined to finish something 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

Just chill out. I sometimes lead new riders out in our club and I find a lot of that time is spent talking about how to use gears and suggesting politely that this or that would be better here or there.
    You’ll be surprised of how much we take for granted. I even found the local non discript trails actually quite tough when going very slowly.
    Be prepared to do half what you do in twice the time.

Esme
    Free Member

Echo what Real Man said – a short ride with optional extra loops. Then she might achieve more than you originally plan, which will boost her confidence

Also, have lots of short stops to look at ‘interesting things’, or repeat sections. Then she can catch her breath, without feeling you’re waiting for her

This applies to any novice, not just females!

zaskar
    Free Member

Let her lead?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

10 miles is a long way for someone thats just started riding bikes.

oldgit
    Free Member

10 miles is a long way for someone thats just started riding bikes.

Agreed. Took a newbie out that wanted to get fit for the London-Paris. After nearly three hours they asked how far we had gone, 25? 30’ish? they suggested, no 7 I said.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

She’s been out on the local trails on her own – allegedly, i don’t know exactly where she’s been riding.
    10 miles sounds about right, factor in the hills & the getting off & pushing that will inevitably ensue (her, not me! ok, both..) and i think that will be enough for her.
    I’m aiming to take her to see the local area from a viewpoint she hasn’t been to before as a way of encouraging her riding.
    I’ve given her a backpack & helmet as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A loop with lots of return options at various points?

I take newbs out on occasion and thats what I do

That way at each junction you can say – “further away from home or back towards it?”. Try to get some interesting riding (easy singletrack) in the first few miles. Short hills only

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Any urban singletrack near where she lives? Start doing that and then radiate out into the woods?

Its a good way to keep the context, keep close to facilities if they’re needed (thinking drinks and food) and a chance to see the local area from a different perspective.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No ‘urban singletrack’ apart from the canal & there aren’t any woods around here – it’s moorland all the way!
    Where she lives is right on the edge of the Pennine hills, any way we ride is going to involve heading uphill i’m afraid 🙁 still, she will have some good views when we get to the top!
    There are lots of little sections i can show her, must just remember to keep asking if she’s had enough.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Take cake as a surprise, it’s one of the best things about biking. 10 miles could easily be too far if she isn’t generally fit. TJ’s idea is a good one, short loop with optional extras and maybe sessioning some fun bits. If it fits, let her have a go on your bike?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Loosen both quick releases and headset, that’ll take out most riders…

More seriously, use the incentive of teashops and/or pubs, I find that helps.

aP
    Free Member

Don’t ask if she’s had enough, instead ask if she wants to do more, or start to head for home. Also let her know about how far round your planned route you are so that she can start to gauge when she’s ready to head for home or carry on.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

RichPenny – i was planning to take my pedal spanners so she can have a go on my bike, cake is another excellent idea!
    Planning on finishing at the pub ‘cos she likes her real ale & a pint will be a nice end to the ride.

All good ideas everyone.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

top man muddydwarf!

Bunnyhop

Chocolate and/or cake is a must.
    As T.J said, some short cuts, even a figure of 8 route.
    Make sure she can beg or borrow a waterproof, just in case.

Northwind

I just took my brother out for his first off-road ride since we were about 10… If you trust her, give her your bike, and you take the sh***er- I gave him my Scandal and took my old carrera, knowing that the lighter weight and better handling would help him, while the cheaper bike would hold me back a bit and make things more interesting. Plus, it’s nice to ride a less good bike from time to time to remind yourself what good feels like 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

who said a 10 miler ? thats way too far for a newbie… oh dear… she mite be put off by shear exhaustion..
    hey theres a nice track up at the Summit at the tunnels thats littleboro way ! i ride up there often (as part of a ride i do) and its not too bad to take a newbie…
    i ride with my son and ive learnt to keep up now on those big climbs, lol. i have no choice in the matter he never stops !! (“nearly at the top now” he keeps shouting back at me, the top never ends and wen i do reach it- theres still no rest ! hahha no rest for the wicked then…

Sandwich

10 miles with a novice will likely take 4 hours with waiting and repeating bits of trail. Be prepared to bail out early rather than attempting to complete the route if your partner is looking peaky.
    I find tailoring the route to the beginner the most difficult part of the process. When she’s ready she’ll ask about new bikes and improving bits that break.
    Take good quality milk and plain chocolate as emergency pick me up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Taking a new rider out – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.