Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Sydney hostage crisis
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Cafe taken by armed gunmen in central Sydney near the cenotaph, at least a dozen hostages pressed up against the window and ISIS flags been seen flown 😯

Live feed here https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/17174725/yahoo-7-live-sydney/?cmp=ytwit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s getting very serious with more evacuations and closed air space
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/hostages-sydney-cafe-martin-place-police-operation/5967232

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Let the wanton speculation commence!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Coincides well with the announcement of more troops to combat IS don’t you think?

Also fits in quite nicely to soften blow of CIA torture report.

Wonder how many other hostage situations there have been in the world over the past fortnight without such intense media focus?

batfink
    Free Member

Aw crap. Walked past there on the way home last night.

The chap has said he has “devices” elsewhere, and will detonate them if he doesn’t get to talk to Abbot live on the radio. Opera-house has been evacuated (as a precaution).

Well…. there goes the Sydney “bubble” 🙁

JHJ: more likely to be because there have been charges brought (last night) against some of the people involved in the previous (Sept) raids.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/man-arrested-in-suspected-sydney-terror-raid-reports/5967148
    and more arrests this morning before this happened.

I saw the tweet about the multiple devices and live chat with abbot on the ABC feed but it’s been removed.

batfink
    Free Member

I think STWorld-erist radtothepowerofsik works down in that direction….. hopefully he can give us an update.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also JHJ suggesting that this is in someway orchestrated by the US or Australian governments is both ridiculous and insensitive.

Jamie
    Free Member

*awaits JHJ shoehorning Jimmy Saville into the narrative*

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Appreciate if it is a wholly spontaneous attack, then my post could be construed as insensitive, however given the history of such deeply disturbing manipulations as:

The babies in incubators testimony following a study by a PR company into emotional engagement of the target audience.

Falsified documents about WMDs

Using 9/11 as justification for wars unrelated to those involved

All of which resulted in wars which hugely profited those who started them in the 1st place, and death tolls of horrific proportions

It would be foolish and insensitive not to have a degree of skepticism.

batfink
    Free Member

Also JHJ suggesting that this is in someway orchestrated by the US or Australian governments is both ridiculous and insensitive.

Wellllllll… I thought the previous terror raids in the city might have been somewhat over-egged, perhaps in an effort to push through new terror-legislation, but have been reserving judgement until details were available. However, it seems like there are indeed “highly motivated” extremists in the city after all. I shall write to Mr Abbott and apologize for doubting him.

this place is turning into the wild west! This happened outside my flat a couple of weeks ago:

Surry Hills shoot-out

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

You don’t live on Foveaux St by any chance do you batfink?

batfink
    Free Member

Nope….. Goulburn and Riley. Literally next to the police station.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’m about 10 minutes walk away down Pitt Street, so close but not in the exclusion zone

I was already in the office when it started, so all I’ve seen is on the live feeds.

The doors have been locked in our building and you can’t get in without a swipe card. People are looking a little worried

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Had a quick scan of the article and saw the pic… thought it might’ve been the park by Foveaux/Collins St; been a while, bit over 10 years since I lived in Sydney.

Anyhow, no harm intended, appreciate folk may be concerned about friends and relatives.

Stay vigilant!!

chewkw
    Free Member

They are going for the soft targets at the moment so all western nations are targets. These fanatics are all prepared to die taking others with them.

batfink
    Free Member

Had a quick chat with mrs batfink….. the friend of one of her colleagues might be inside. She goes there for coffee and nobody can reach her. Bloody hell.

JoeG
    Free Member

Is this Australia’s version of 9/11? 🙁

batfink
    Free Member

Not really…. 88 Aussies killed in the Bali bombings, 28 in the Ukrainian/Malaysian airlines incident.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

They seem to be evacuating everywhere. Precautionary, or acting on info?

Nothing but live coverage on tv here. Got bushfires over in WA too. Not a great Monday!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well the BBC are giving away tactical information.

The media are a bunch of numpties aren’t they?

Jesus christ, they are even onto potential racial backlashes already….it’s like they’re egging on a schoolyard fight, asking people what kinds of weapons the police are carrying and asking what the police are doing. They seem to want people to get blown up to boost their ratings.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37HT4-EtzE[/video]

^^^^^ The BBC’s standard of reporting, no better than Cartman.

batfink
    Free Member

Just seen the bomb-squad heading downtown 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m amazed they were not there already, they said they have had calls about devices but all negative so far.

batfink
    Free Member

It was one of those huge reinforced “containment” thingies that you put a bomb in, shut the door then retire to a safe distance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah right….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well some people have been let out so far. Been a long day down there.

batfink
    Free Member

Sounds like they might have legged-it rather than been released 😯

batfink
    Free Member

5 people now released/escaped…..

JCL
    Free Member

Those is a disgrace. Invade Finland!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Think the cops are making entry now they’ve just chucked a shit load of flashbangs in, couple of hostages coming out…

Yikes… They’ve pulled someone out and they appear to be attempting to revive him/her as the footage shows ambo guys doing CPR.

ninfan
    Free Member

They weren’t holding back on those flashbangs were they!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I know. Seemed to be chucking them in while their colleagues were breaching which looked odd.

Quite a few on gurneys. I’m guessing they shot him. They’re saying it’s officially over now.

chewkw
    Free Member

JCL – Member

Those is a disgrace. Invade Finland!

Invade Finland?
    More like invade penguin island during the mating season. 😆

aphex_2k
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

More like invade penguin island

Hey, Penguin Island is lovely, leave em alone! (It’s just up the road from me…)

http://www.penguinisland.com.au/

atlaz
    Free Member

They weren’t holding back on those flashbangs were they!

Given the fact half their mates were in there already unless they have some new fancy technology that protects them from the sound and light, I bet that the guys inside won’t be too happy

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Jeeze, the Aussies carried that out with extreme ruthlessness didn’t they. No quarter given there, that was a lot of lead. Is it confirmed that it was just the one gunman?

Really hope no one has died.

Houns

Id imagine they’re quite well trained in dealing with going in to a building whilst flash bangs go off around their ears.

P-Jay
    Free Member

That went a bit turbo in the end didn’t it – have to assume the terrorist starting attacking the hostages for them to react like that.

Sounded like a full on battle, terrifying.

chewkw
    Free Member

Looks like Aussie immigration law will get tougher now … boat people … to the island.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Just how nuts will the Australians go now on Immigration? They are not the most accepting as it was.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Sydney hostage crisis’ is closed to new replies.