Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Switzerlanders – Riding Near Gstaad
  • Phototim
    Free Member

Next weekend I am hopefully heading to Gstaad for some riding. I have never been there before so need some pointers for where the good/legal trails are. I’m in to lift accessed but also interested in xc loops. Everything from steep and tech for me to beginner level for some of my friends.

Can anyone give me any info? Routes, open lifts, costs, etc.

Thanks.

flamejob
    Free Member

Where are you based?

Phototim
    Free Member

Fribourg, about an hour and a quarter away. Why do you ask?

big_scot_nanny

Sorry, not been there yet, but it’s on the list so whatever you find out please share!

I seem to remember there was a good guiding company in Gstaad, would that be a good idea?

I’ll see if I can dig up a link.

We used Vaughan form MTB Villars in the Villars area recently, and it was great.

Kev

flamejob
    Free Member

I’m in Zurich and am attempting to creapily amass some lift assist buddies.
    😀

(Saying that; I am actually in London now, but I live in Zurich)

Phototim
    Free Member

I’m keen to ride over east at some point, do you know the area? I’m super keen on lift access DH.

Anyone else have any info on Gstaad or am I the guinea pig?!

amphibian
    Free Member

I fear there’s not a great deal of exciting stuff in Gstaad itself. I’ve not actually ridden there but I go to a place nearby every summer for a couple of weeks and despite a fair bit of searching, I’ve not found anything. It tends to cater to walkers and rich folk who cruise about on electric bikes. There could be some secret ‘locals only’ stuff though that I’m not aware of.

The good news is that there’s some good riding not far away. Chateau d’Oex (20 minutes away) has a good downhill track which was used for the World Champs back in the nineties. It’s not gnarly by modern standards and is perfectly rideable on a trail bike or even a hardtail. The only snag is the cable car is pricey at about £25 for 4 hours riding. Rougement (10 minutes) also has some lift assisted stuff but the best is at Leysin, a 40 minute drive away, which is developing into a bike park with loads of good lift assisted downhill runs and very reasonable prices.

RHSno2
    Free Member

I am sure there is plenty. Gsteig has a lift with a good trail back down…lots of walking trails so thus good riding trails.

RHSno2
    Free Member

If you want Bike Park you will be dissapointed.

There IS good riding there if you have a good nose about you.

rickmeister

Flamejob… we have a van going to Zurich next week…. taking anything back.. want a lift…?

Phototim
    Free Member

I’m necessarily after a bike park, but if there is one then I’ll ride it. I’ll be taking the trail bike rather than the DH bike. My experience of hiking trails in switzerland is good as far as biking goes but I’m never quite sure whether I should be there or not. Some areas have bike bans whereas others don’t!

Thanks all for the info. I’ll report back if I actually find some good stuff.

flamejob
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Rick! I’m now back in Zurich.

I think all of us should hook up on a social media thing..
    I am JasonWD on google+, Facebook and twitter
    I plan on doing to Klosters on Tuesday if I manage to get enough work done. They have e new run there which looks really brainless fun. I’m taking a born again mtber friend and my two dh bikes.

washingtonirving
    Free Member

I’m moving to Fribourg next month. I’d be interested to know how you guys have found it so far? It’ll be my first time in Switzerland so any advice would be much appreciated!

ir12daveor
    Free Member

In general if there is no “no biking” sign it’s fair game to ride most trails. There are a few exceptions to that rule around Zurich but in most places it is tolerated to ride on the hiking trails (unless specifically forbidden) and in some places it is specifically written into law that mountain bikers are allowed to use hiking trails (Graubunden). The only area so far that I’ve run into any problems is Grindlewald. Everywhere else is a case of respect other trail users and they will respect you.

I’ve got a map of the Gstaad area that shows quite a few trails with some potential. I’ve not gotten to check them out yet but there is for sure riding there if you are willing to go and find it.

amphibian
    Free Member

I had a look at url=http://www.gstaad.ch/en/page.cfm/Activities/Summer/Biking/Mountainbikeen]null[/url]
    last week and it seems that quite a few of the lifts are open to bikers and there’s some interesting trail info there. Looks like I might have to eat my own words 🙁 but I’m looking forward to riding the trails 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Switzerlanders – Riding Near Gstaad’ is closed to new replies.