Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Switching to HT
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve had my Trigger Carbon for a few years now and for some reason I find myself looking at hardtails more and more, my brother got a Cotic last year and it’s a thing of beauty.
    I ride in the dark peaks so pretty rugged ground, will I regret it?
    Also, if I was to switch, what are the best about, because if I do switch i’ll be building a bike to top spec.
    I’ve also gone off carbon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have both?
    Whats wrong with the carbon?

nickdavies

Depends what you like, I really miss my ff29 for peaks riding. It was just about perfect up and down, only thing I can remember struggling on it was down Jacobs with the seatpost up in the air. 160mm full suss is great descending but I like long days out 60-70k and it’s just a bit of a slog on the big bike.

Depends on the bike though, the ff29 has been replaced by a carbon s-works more for racing and I hate it. Makes every descent a chore especially things like potato alley.

NormalMan

Get a Cotic 8)

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I am incredibly tempted by a Cotic Bfe!

badnewz
    Free Member

If I was regularly riding the Peaks I would be full-suss all the way.

prawny

I’ve gone back to a hardtail for financial reasons, if I was riding in the peaks and money wasn’t a massive issue then I’d stay with the full suss and maybe get a nice cheap hardtail to scratch that itch. You could probably build up a 2nd hand bfe fairly cheap

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Hmmmm, that’s not the worst idea. I’ve got a whippet built up as a commuter I could flog that frame & forks and build up a more hard core hardtail. All i’d need is frame, forks and maybe a dropper.
    Danger!

twonks

I have ideas along a similar theory from time to time, which probably explains 6 bikes..oops..

A good well sorted hardtail is still a geat bike to ride on 99% of UK trails unless out and out downhill etc.

The last ht frame I built up was a 456 evo2 and I didn’t go too big with forks at only 120mm. Built like this I believe it rides nicer than the Soul, Piglet (1st gen), 2011 Zaskar and a few others I built with the same components.

It was also the only HT that I felt compelled to leave and actually use instead of just swapping bits out. Still have it and did a few rides in North Wales last week.

For the peanuts you can pick the frames up for, I’d suggest having a go with one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Switching to HT’ is closed to new replies.