Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sweden West Coast riding
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi guys , I’ve fairly recently moved to Göteborg . Just wondering if anyone has any tips on riding round here or if there are any Swedes in these forums. Thanks in advance!

jeb

Try happymtb -big sweedish mtb forum

modig
    Free Member

Hi there,

The riding in and around Gothenburg is great and there is a very active community.

I suggest that you ask the same question at http://happymtb.org/forum/list.php/1 where rides are scheduled almost daily.

Happymtb.org is the number one forum for biking in Sweden and posting in English is no problem.

Good luck
    /Johan, swede but on the other coast

EDIT: Slow also on the Internet it seems 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Great thanks, I’ve seen that website and I will explore It a little more. I want to try and find some long day rides as a lot of the stuff I have seen is great, but short trails. Need someone to show me round I guess!

modig
    Free Member

They do all day epics as well:
    http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/1931486/page=1

I’m sure you’ll get good help through happymtb.

Cheers
    /Johan

bellefied
    Free Member

heading off to Sweden on Friday, going to head over to Norway to climb Galdhopiggen, then back to Stockholm for the half marathon, with lots of drinking in between!

The only west coast riding I’ve done was around Smogen a few years ago at midsummer with hired bikes.

You’ll have a blast 🙂

niceandy
    Free Member

I’m a brit based in Gothenburg (but not for much longer). The group rides (Happyrides) run most weekday evenings (Mon, Tues, Wed & Thurs). Mons and Weds are an easier tempo. Rides on weekends also.

Most start off from the same place, which is about 15 mins ride from the city centre.

The terrain is much more slow speed and technical than I was used to in the UK, which comes from the natural (non groomed) trails. Also, there’s not a lot of height to play with, think short steep climbs and descents. I lasted about 2 weeks before buying a dropper post.

Conditions are perfect at the moment, so make the most of it before it gets very wet and dark.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, yes i’ve been out a few Times and found it very up and down as you say, as in lots of short sharps bursts but not long and flowing. Have you got any tips for rides like that around gothenburg . I’m into AM really and am looking for long groomed trails . I have a car so can venture out a little too. Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoyed GBG!

niceandy
    Free Member

I have some rides logged on Strava and garminconnect if you want the GPX files, but to be honest you are better off going out on a group ride as most of the trails are easily missed and local knowledge is king.

Änggården is a good place for exploring without getting lost and has some really good technical steep descents.

If you’re after long groomed trails then you’re in the wrong place unfortunately. To find them in Sweden you need to head north to Åre, Järvso and the other bike parks, but they are so far away it’s quicker to get a flight to the Alps, Scotland or England (Åre is a 12 hour overnight sleeper train).

My advice would be to adapt to the terrain and riding here. It has definitely improved my technical riding living here and most people ride 140-160mm bikes (is that AM now?), so you’re not out of place.

If you’re keen on a ride Tues evening I can show you around some of the trails I know.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hey Andy that’s a really nice offer of you for both the files and the ride. Is there a way to PM you on here?

niceandy
    Free Member

Not sure, I don’t think so. Are you registered on the happymtb forum as you can PM me from there (orangeandy)?

If not, and you have a Swedish phone you can call me on 0722387287.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Great sent you a PM on Happy MTB

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sweden West Coast riding’ is closed to new replies.