Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Swap the fixed for a cross?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Three key facts in my life:

1. I own too many bikes (six (2 x road, 2 x MTB, track, road fixed)
    2. I commute 17 miles each way on the road, daily.
    3. I have a child due in the next few weeks, so recreational bike time is going to be reduced (to zero!)

Carbon road bike stays
    Winter road bike is used for commute and training, so stays
    HT MTB stays (though it isn't used much)
    SS MTB stays (I've had it nearly 20 years – not moving on now
    Track bike (undecided, but it wouldn't raise much cash and I want to get back to the track some time)

So, is it time to move the fixed on, and trade it for a CX bike to use on the local (flat) off road. No chance of racing it this year.

Or am I just trying to get another bike I won't ride?

Surfr
    Free Member

Merge the cross requirement with your commute and winter trainer requirement like so:

Road Mode

Cross Mode

Simple with a second wheelset.

clubber
    Free Member

I swapped my fixie for a CX bike which I uses as both a CX bike and winter road bike (two sets of wheels) – works brilliantly for me.

soobalias
    Free Member

keep the winter road bike and the HT. throw all that other garbage in the metal recycling skip.

ourmaninthenorth

Were I doing this again, the winter road bike would also be a CX. But I like the winter roadie, ride it lots and am quite attached to it.

I fear my sentimentality is getting the better of me….

As I thought, CX is a distinct nice to have but not really justifiable. Fixed still likely to go, however.

LOL at SOObalias.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Having kids took me from

DH Bike
    5 ins bike
    Hardtail
    Road bike

to

Hardtail
    Roadbike
    Trailer
    Kiddie push along bikes

Takes up about the same storage space

convert

I've got a cx bike that works as winter road, cx and touring bike with 2 pairs of wheels for different duties. This year I got a niner sir9 short travel 29er hardtail which is set up with an alfine. Since then I've rarely bothered getting the cx bike setup up for cx duties and just ridden the niner. Don't get me wrong, the cx is great fun in recreational cx mode but is not really needed for you or for me.

I'd either loose the winter bike and justify like that or forget it, esp if the hardtail is already not getting much use. Or get it and loose the hardtail too.

ourmaninthenorth

Space not (yet) an issue, more what I'll reasonably be able to do. Think I'm over complicating.

Oh, and looking forward to kids' bikes and trailers, etc.

Convert, you make a good point. Fixed's days are numbered, and if the track bike isn't used next winter, then it's going too.

Am way too sentimental – need to MTFU and treat them as the "stuff" they are

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Swap the fixed for a cross?’ is closed to new replies.