Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Suspension Setup SOS
  • dmorts

At the weekend I tried to setup my suspension properly by following a few online guides. It’s not worked and is far far worse than it was!
    Took the bike off piste at Inners and it was “skittering” all over the place and getting hung up on bigger bumps at the front.

Front shock is a Marzocchi 350 NCR at 160mm and these should eat up everything in their path. Not had these too long (Sport Pursuit special) and getting these spot on is why I started tinkering.

Rear is a Rockshox Monarch RC3 DebonAir.

I think the rear is probably ok. To set the sag, I switched it to open, set the rebound in the middle and sat on the bike/got off the bike. Then I adjusted the air pressure, repeating sitting, until the sag was around 30%. I made sure I bounced the shock to balance out the +/- chambers. The only thing which is isn’t right is probably the rebound. My thinking is more damping is needed to combat the lack of grip?

The fork. This has rebound damping and compression settings. Setting the compression is new to me, firstly where do have the compression when setting the sag? Then once the sag is set how do I tune the compression? It goes soft to firm. Does soft mean smoother ride, fewer little bumps? Or does soft mean the fork is soft so I get more smaller bumps??
    Then there is rebound damping, which I think I need more of….

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

legend
    Free Member

Set sag then rebound then compression. Damper settings have no effect on setting sag as damper controls how quickly the fork/shock moves rather than having an affect on where it sits with your weight on it.

Does the rear feel overly bouncy? If so add rebound damping. If it feels like it might be “packing down” (not returning fast enough between hits) then take some off.

Assuming the fork is Low Speed Compression adjustment. Start with it fully open, add damping until the fork doesn’t feel like it’s diving too much under braking, cornering, pedalling, etc. Too much will feel harsh over bumps, too little will feel divey

poah
    Free Member

to set the rebound ride off a kerb slowly and adjust until it doesn’t bounce more than down-up-down to sag point.

Sag is set to make the suspension work the way you want it, it isn’t a specific number like 30%. I can’t tell you what my sag is front or rear.

Front rebound you set in a similar fashion. Off piste at inners is going to be steep so your suspension should be set differently to what you would say at glentress. I’d put more air in the fork and add some LSC. knowing when to use the front brake also helps a lot. if you pull the brake when you are going into a rut the suspension is going to compress way more than without the brake.

dmorts

Thanks for replies

Assuming the fork is Low Speed Compression adjustment. Start with it fully open

It is Low Speed Compression but I don’t know what fully open is. It goes from Soft to Firm…

Sag is set to make the suspension work the way you want it, it isn’t a specific number like 30%.

Yup, agree but I’m looking to get to a point that 90% there first then tweak.

wwaswas

Hire/borrow a shockwiz would be my advice.

legend
    Free Member

It is Low Speed Compression but I don’t know what fully open is. It goes from Soft to Firm…

Open = Soft

dmorts

Hire/borrow a shockwiz would be my advice.

Yes, have been seriously considering this! But see they are now branded SRAM, does that mean they are going to become Rockshox focused?

Open = Soft

Thanks, this might be where I’ve been going wrong

wwaswas

does that mean they are going to become Rockshox focused

not in my experience to date.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Suspension Setup SOS’ is closed to new replies.