Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Surrey Hills today. Beautiful, but rammed. Is it always like that?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Been riding round Surrey Hills most weekends since 2005 but not been there since summer 2010. I’ve never seen it so crowded as it was today. Esp in Peaslake – Walking Bottom carpark and the stores…

Was it just the weather or has it really got that popular in the last 18 months? God knows how the trails are going to take to that much traffic over time…

djglover
    Free Member

Hopefully most of the nodders dont know the good trails

tonyg2003

No it was unusually busy last week and with the glorious weather today I’m not surprised it’s rammed.

I’ve been riding here since 1994 and the trails are busier but once you are away from the carparks or the obvious trails (BKB, SL, YP etc…) it’s never busy.

brakes
    Free Member

I know somewhere to ride which isn’t too far away, where the riding is as good and it’s very quiet… only thing it’s missing is cheese straws.
    dusty summer trails today 😀

mashiehood
    Free Member

The telegraph poles was like the M25 so we gave it a miss. It’s been so busy around peas lake recently we don’t bother going there, from the bottom of Barry’s we go to leith.

brooess
    Free Member

Winterfold was empty. which was nice..

tyredbiker
    Free Member

First time I went it was a Saturday and rammed, was expecting the same when I went for a pootle on a beautiful summers evening on a thursday. I saw one deer and that was it. Bliss.
    All round BKB is crawling with people doing runs but if you do a longer xc type loop encompassing winterfold or Leith hill you’ll have plenty of trail to yourself. (That being said around the tower is always busy with doddery walkers, many of which will have a pop at you regardless of how considerate you are being!)

rewski
    Free Member

Not surprised, was an amazing day, I decided to do a nice North Downs loop from Reigate Hill to Box Hill, no one on the NDW, lots of roadies about Box Hill though..

Sonor
    Free Member

Quite a few riders visiting the Surrey hills according to this.

hora
    Free Member

Whereas ride around the Peaks and its literally deserted all the time. You could ride for upto 4hours and literally meet 1 other rider.

This weekend the only people we met were two riders and about 6 MX’ers actually on the trails.

njee20
    Free Member

Never seen any MXers on the trails here, rather see MTBers!

It does seem to have got far busier lately, the Walking Bottom car park has gone mental in the last month. Agree with the above though that the trails are pretty quiet. Leith seems quieter than it used to be too, the people have moved towards Pitch more.

Was out for 3 hours last weekend though and saw about a dozen riders, hardly a problem!

spacemonkey

with doddery walkers, many of which will have a pop at you regardless of how considerate

I’ve been riding the ND/SH (and stopping at the tower) for years and never had one altercation with a walker or horsey-rider.

hora
    Free Member

I still remember the horse rider who raced up the rocky side to Leith Tower.

Amazing to watch and such balls. The horses hooves were sliding and slipping and he just made it. Anyone who has ever ridden a horse would be amazed at such riding skills.

:mrgreen:

Yes- it could have been considered reckless/dangerous however he’d have been seriously injured primarily/horse put down etc.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve found that the car parks can get busy but that doesn’t translate to any holdups on the trails. It’s a very big place, I can go a few hours ride and hardly see anyone.

spacemonkey

Like others have said, the traffic is there but typically only around the ‘more famous’ trails. BKB and PL are usually sound though and I’ve had slower people let me/us through. TR is pretty dull these days – much better taking the ‘other’ trail.

mattjg
    Free Member

it was an amazing day, bottom car park rammed tho not the others. lines at the store getting to the point where better to take your own snacks.

but there’s plenty of space out there, wherever the crowds go, go the other way. most people ride the bankers instead o exploring.

spacemonkey

On the back of the other thread about kids on footpaths … has anyone else encountered families (avec children and dogs) walking the ‘wrong’ way along the start to Parklife? I guess they innocently veer onto it where the (parallel-ish) footpath meets the first proper rutty/swampy bit.

Had this happen a couple of times last year and then again a fortnight ago. Even met a rider riding the ‘wrong’ way with this dog recently too – asked him to watch out because of the ‘oncoming’ but he chose not to acknowledge me.

mattjg
    Free Member

has anyone else encountered families (avec children and dogs) walking the ‘wrong’ way along the start to Parklife

No but I see how it could happen, there is a footpath very close at the end of the run in, before the trees, and PL is visible. A dog or child could easily change tracks.

The area as a whole is a shared space, riders need to keep an eye out and bear in mind this isn’t a dedicated trail centre in the back of nowhere.

shortcut

It is important to remember with places such as the Surrey Hills, Swinley etc that although some trails are ‘traditionally’ ridden in one direction they are not one way and are not exclusively used by mountain bikers.

So be careful out there and expect to need to stop or divert within what you can see!

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s funny to me that mountain bike riders on here seem to feel they are different to the other mountain bike riders who are riding the same trails at the same time.
    so if there are a lot of people riding a location they somehow dont know the secret trails, the good stuff or whatever, Im guessing the “nodders” didnt have the same bike, helmet, shorts, etc and were thus inferior to the true mountain bikers that spend their time on forums.

hora
    Free Member

Unless you own the land its not your trail. Fullstop.

jimr80
    Free Member

+1 for what Sancho said.
    I have been asked to go ride there next weekend for the 1st time so i must be a nodder. 😀
    I don’t want any of you non locals riding my patch either.

hora
    Free Member

Any pics? Just to remind me of what I’m missing. 🙁

xcgb
    Free Member

I live there and I have never seen walking bottom car park so full in 15 years!

Those counter on Barrys dont allow for the people who do it more than once though! (as i reckon most people do) or should one bod doing it twice be counted as two bikers?

xcgb
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Whereas ride around the Peaks and its literally deserted all the time. You could ride for upto 4hours and literally meet 1 other rider.

This weekend the only people we met were two riders and about 6 MX’ers actually on the trails.

Maybe they were all hiding from you? 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yeah twas busy yesterday for sure but nothing compared to Newlands Corner and the shop must make a killing! mmmmmpork and leek.

Sunday AM is not at all indicative though as it’s dead for the rest of the week. I’m happy it’s getting more popular means I can ride on my own and I don’t have to wait too long for someone to be along and call the ambulance.
    I must admit that I am less inclined to share what I know now though happy to give directions to BKB etc but not others..

xcgb
    Free Member

the shop must make a killing!

I happen to know that it doesn’t! (overall)

joolsburger
    Free Member

That surprises me but I expect Monday to Saturday it’s a bit quiet.

njee20
    Free Member

Those counter on Barrys dont allow for the people who do it more than once though! (as i reckon most people do)

Really? I reckon I’ve only ridden it more than once in a ride about 2-3 times. Are people that unimaginative!?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills today. Beautiful, but rammed. Is it always like that?’ is closed to new replies.