Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 224 total)
  • Surrey Hills conditions today
  • blooddonor
    Free Member

No more please…………all blowing sunshine up each others arseholes!!!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Huh? And why spelling W1nterf0ld? Why do some threads just attract the nutters?!

Out tomorrow, can’t wait, probably the last really dry day of the year! Probably do all the hills with a Torq guy, a Salsa guy, an Activ guy, and me in Beyond MTBs kit, say hello!

Carlos45
    Free Member

Got to agree with njee20. Tomorrow will be cracking. Will be out early to avoid the masses.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Heihei.

The stuff in this video is very close by, if you know where to look!!

Yep, know that hidden area but only found the jumps recently. You make the two linked jumps look good, but I bottled them!! Did you film that this week, as there was a single track coming down the steps when I went up?

A mate of mine lives in you know where – quite a place!!

winterfold
    Free Member

‘njee20’ – ironic humour maybe? Can a ‘nutter’ ask if njee20 is on your birth certificate?

It is too far from the pub and cheesestraws for overcrowding to be an issue.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Njee I think we bumped into you a couple of times on sat – I was on the lynskey and my friend was on the dale rize. Was not sure whether it was you otherwise I would have said hello.

chakaping
    Free Member

I rode Leith and Holmbury hills with my local mate yesterday and it somehow turned into a six hour epic – one of my best days of riding this year.

🙂

Was on a raw/green Mondraker Dune. Surprisingly quiet out I thought – apart from the coach party who passed us walking up Yoghurt Pots just a couple of secs after I’d crashed.

Might have been a lucky escape.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think I saw you on top of Leith at the tower around 2pm? We had a brief stop on the way down to Westcott (was on a red dune oddly enough)

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi, yep that was me!

I clocked your Dune because I was riding with somebody on one the same colour at Aston Hill last weekend and I thought you might be the same guy – but you weren’t.

Bloody things are getting everywhere now, eh?

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

‘njee20’ – ironic humour maybe? Can a ‘nutter’ ask if njee20 is on your birth certificate?

My name is Nick Evans, NJEE are my initials, it’s not En-Jee as most people think!

Just got the Winterfold thing though. My bad.

Njee I think we bumped into you a couple of times on sat

Yes I think you probably did, remember seeing a Rize just coming down into the Loggers Car Park at the top of Barhatch Lane, as we were going up. Conditions were awesome though! Only found 2 puddles all day!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Crazy busy at Peaslake today but didnt feel busy on the trails. Loving the summer bonus.

atlaz
    Free Member

chakaping – That was my mate. I tried his bike out last year, liked it, bought one too. There’s not that many around really, yours is the only one outside our group I’ve seen.

spacemonkey

apart from the coach party who passed us walking up Yoghurt Pots just a couple of secs after I’d crashed.

Years ago, I remember watching a mate crash into the first really swampy bit (bottom of the first rooty section) as the result of a German Shepherd leaping out in front. Oh how we all laughed because he stank like a shit pit for the remainder of the ride.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I walked the the trails today with the lady! Can someone clear something up for me, I’m sure the path that runs parallel to Ewhurst Rd, from the bottom of BKB is a footpath, yet I saw at least 5 bikes using the path instead of the road. Am I going mad in thinking it’s a footpath and thus out of bounds to bikers?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not 100% sure if it’s a footpath, but it’s not meant to be ridden, the residents of the houses at the end got (understandalby) annoyed with people shouting as they popped onto the road. It’s been blocked off a few times, but people still ride it!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Njee yes that was us we were on an epic loop just to make the most of the dry trails. Conditions were indeed awesome.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s a footpath and for some reason people think that riding along it and antagonising the locals is better than riding on the road. Don’t get it personally.

mashiehood
    Free Member

There is a sort of gate at the start (bottom of BKB) so I assumed if it’s blocked don’t ride it.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I’m just waiting for a rebellion from the locals a d the whole area will become hostile to bikers, shame as the minority of riders not sympethic to the area will ruin it for all.

njee20
    Free Member

Njee yes that was us we were on an epic loop just to make the most of the dry trails. Conditions were indeed awesome.

A retrospective ‘hello’ then 🙂

2 of our guys rode over from Lightwater, did all of the hills, then rode back off road, 75 miles, in that heat, rather them than me!

It’s a footpath and for some reason people think that riding along it and antagonising the locals is better than riding on the road. Don’t get it personally.

+1

mashiehood
    Free Member

75 miles, I thought we were crazy thinking of taking in box hill. We have been riding the hills for 20 years but never really explored the winterfold area so must do some research and walk the trails

winterfold
    Free Member

Riding that footpath does cause issues and there is no reason to ride it so if you see someone doing it politely ask them not to.

If they ignore you not much you can do about it – except maybe start a “bellends WTF?! 👿 “Name and shame thread…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Last time I looked there was a clear barrier across the start of it proclaiming it a footpath and making it difficult to get on to it to ride it anyway.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think that’s the point. Despite people making it obvious it’s not for bikes, some people think its worth doing

spacemonkey

That footpath is completely dull anyway. All is does it blend the ‘new’ finish with the ‘old, i.e pootle along for a few yards then drop onto the road.

Heard years ago that there was a trail leading above the houses. Never really looked and never found anything. Might have been an extension of the chicken run from the ‘old’ trail?

chakaping
    Free Member

chakaping – That was my mate. I tried his bike out last year, liked it, bought one too. There’s not that many around really, yours is the only one outside our group I’ve seen.

Small world eh? I think your mate bought Nick at Bikeactive’s demo Dune, and Nick got a 2011 one – so that’s four of them.

Such a fun bike, I’m really loving mine.

atlaz
    Free Member

spacemonkey – I know where it is (walked down it when hiking down that way but not ridden it). I wouldn’t bother; in terms of a fun to pissing off the locals ratio, it’s on the low side.

chakaping – That’s the one exactly. Oddly enough, rode down Holmbury a couple of months back and some bloke asked me if mine was from Bikeactive as he’d test ridden it there.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Still nice conditions and much cooler!! Took the STW advice and parked at Starvael – surprisingly quick and easy to the Tower. Great explore through all the bomb holes in the rhoddies and then the longer singletrack further North. Unfortunately had mega wipe out trying out WMB skills from their DVD which blew my confidence. Back to the top and then a lovely moderately challenging switchback trail down into the valley on the NE side. That was really good fun and helped re-build a bit of confidence. Pathetic attempt at the climb back to the Tower, with wheel spin about 3/4 of the way up leading to a dab down. Useless. More exploring of the same basic area before finally discovering the amazing stuff above the CP. Wow, lots of drop offs (many too much for me) and really fun bits.

I think its time for some skill coaching now. I am crashing too often and hurting myself every time I go out. Plus getting on to sections that are beyond my technique and level of courage. So stopping too much and bottling out or crashing by going too slowly especially bomb holes with rooty lips!

1. Skill training
    2. Practice
    3. Time for flats – spds are making me bottle things too often?
    4. Of course – a better bike. Using pretty basic trek hardtail with only 100m. No excuse really but would love to try a better bike!!

Only saw one other biker – hi, the the guy on FS with black and white shirt near the Tower!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

heihei

Had a quick spin over Puttenham. Found the smaller jumps on the video. Had a crack at some (first time) and wimped the others. Still not up to the one at 1:25-1:35!! I have a very basic Trek 6500 so not sure it is made for the bigger jumps…well that’s my excuse!!

Finally found a little bit of singletrack on Puttenham that I knew must exist but could never find the top section. Really nice tight singletrack which is starting to get overgrown and links into other tracks that reduce the climb back up to the top. No other tracks on it, so put 3 sets on today, so that it doesn’t get too overgrown!! It follows the side of the slightly overgrown valley that descends from the big house at the top.

10pmix
    Free Member

Windy Willows as I do it starting from the tower. Shot this very morning…what a great trail it is too. Sorry about the smudge!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MN-ruIa_zE[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think I may have ridden bits of this by accident then. I recognise the top. Get lost around 0:40 but then recognise the two little bombholes at 1:02/1:05, then made the mistake and stayed straight on at 1:15 where I think this leads to two awkward bombholes that I wimped!! Then missed the section from 1:58.

Thanks for the video 10pmix – I am inspired to go and find the correct route now!!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hmm. Don’t think i know that trail. Can someone mail me off forum?

lotus777
    Free Member

i’d like to know too , please.
    it looks like it needs a bit of ‘running in’ 🙂

spacemonkey

Nice vid 10pmix. As it happens, I found it on YT last night.

It’s funny how people have different names for trails because going by your vid we call ’em:

0:00 Magic Tree (because of the weirdly isolated one at 0:22)
    1:25 Kickstart
    1:50 Windy Willows (well, what we call the start of just as you turn right by that bushy clump. It heads off in loads of directions after 100yds or so, with WW being the one that kind of carries on until it suddenly breaks right at the third or fourth split)
    2:39 Trench Warfare (if you dip in under that fallen tree and follow it round)

Little play area on the left just before TW too.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Damn it whats the tune??? I know that so well but cant remember!…..

singletrackmind

Doomsnight?

singletrackmind

At 1.05 , the Laurel bush on the left at the bottom of the drop = Robs Bush . I have ended up in it twice.
    That route is a good one, best ridden more or less in one go , and no silly gap jumps so mere mortals can feel like riding gods ( if they dont fall into Robs bush )

lionelblair
    Free Member

Wow – I’ve been out in Surrey Hills a few times but never found this trail – anyone kind enough to give a newbie some directions? Off forum if necessary? Thanks.

10pmix
    Free Member

Cheers. Much as I ride the area and find new (to me) trails I don’t know the names of any of them (no signs of course and no one I ride with knows either!). I only found out (some of) this was called Windy Willows on this thread. So any names of the other bits are welcome!

Tune is Plastic Dreams by Jaydee. A club classic from circa 1992…

Found some other new bits on my ride last weekend along with some old faves. Anyone want to play guess the trail 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfK-7wfozW8[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Really? Sounds like “Jet Boys” by The NY Dolls to me…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills conditions today’ is closed to new replies.