Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Surface Jackets
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Does anyone have a Surface Pertex of Windjammer? I need a new waterproof(ish) for commuting, mtbing, generally bumming around in. Was looking at the Howies Dyfi but the Surface stuff is on offer on that website that we don’t speak of with the discounted sports apparel, so I’m being tempted by those instead. Possibly even one of each ‘cos I’m a tart.

DezB
    Free Member

I can give you a discount code 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Already a member 😉

Northwind

I just ordered one of the hoodies, looks good…

flyingmonkeycorps

It all looks nice doesn’t it? Mate has the shorts and really rates them, but I could definitely do with a wee packable jacket.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had a pertex jacket years ago. Seemed to rip/tear very easily. Has it improved?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the shorts are ace. as is the hoodie/softshell thing.
    the only reason i’m not getting one of the pertex jackets is i already have a howies dyfi and a couple of montane pertex gilets/smocks…

flyingmonkeycorps

Now thinking another softshell hoodie and a pertex jacket would be a good investment… This is why I’m always poor!

Rubber_Buccaneer

that website that we don’t speak of with the discounted sports apparel

How would one find out what website we don’t speak of?

flyingmonkeycorps

Sportpursuit.com 🙂

I think it’s only posting referrals that’s frowned upon (but if you’d like one, my email is in my profile!).

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m curious too.

Northwind

I don’t know if you’re not allowed to post referrals. Let’s find out!

(any referral funds, I will donate to an appropriate seeming charity- currently it’s £10 for each person that goes on to place an order so not to be sneezed at)

Rubber_Buccaneer

flyingmonkeycorps, you should have mail.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Is it the snugflex hoody you are all referring to as being soft shell?

flyingmonkeycorps

I am… Is it not a softshell type material? What’s it like?

I_Ache
    Free Member

No i was just interested as I am trying to stop myself from buying it. Looks like it would be great for those cold dry days and also mucking about in the snow when off the bike. Or even just as a normal hoody.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ah I see! Well a mate has the shorts which are a softshell type material, I think the hoodie is a similar kind of deal. Would hopefully replace my overly thick, stiff, weird fitting Dare2Be softshell quite well is what I’m thinking.

fathomer

Anyone got both a Surface Pertex & Howies Dyfi that wants to compare? I’ve been contemplating a Dyfi for a while but the Surface look good.

Jamie
    Free Member

The snugflex is a soft shell. Slightly thicker material, and not as stretchy as the Liquistretch shorts.

Great top, with the only thing that I don’t like about it being the reversed zips on the pocket. Silly decision made for no other reason than to be different/fashionable/annoying 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

How are the shorts Jamie?

Jamie
    Free Member

How are the shorts Jamie?

I ended up sending them back for sizing issues. The smalls I could hardly get over my fat muscly thighs, but the mediums almost were falling down. They do have the provision for a belt, but I didn’t want to go that route.

Other than that, they are a lovely 4 way stretch material, seem to have a decent DWR coating and look like a normal pair of shorts as opposed to the usual MTB nonsense.

fathomer

Sod it, I’ve ordered a nice blue one and a Snugflex managed to find it’s way into my order as well 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, the shorts are a pretty snug fit on the thigh but i’ve worn them every day on my commute for the past couple of weeks and they’re ideal for when it’s mild/chilly and a little bit damp out.

the snugflex jacket is slightly thicker, sort of fleece backed softshell material than the shorts but not dead heavy and tbh is a great jacket for cold autumn rides, or indeed general off bike use too. plus it’ll keep you dry in all but the very heaviest rain for a good hour, i find.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hmmm the shorts dont sound like they are for me, shame because they look lovely.

Jamie
    Free Member

Has anyone got a Windjammer or the pertex jackets? Looking for something packable, and possibly be also used for running.

I could order both, but that seems a bit excessive….although would solve choosing one.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ve got shorts and Windjammer in Akrigg red on the way. 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have the snugflex coming 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t hold your breath 😀
    Expect to get it as a Christmas present and the early arrival will be a treat for you

I_Ache
    Free Member

They arn’t that bad. I had some skiing trousers from them this time last year and they came earlier than they said they would.

Northwind

Sportpursuit are erratic- no wonder, they don’t control the supply chain at all, so some stuff can come fast, some stuff comes eventually.

toys19
    Free Member

aphex_2k – Member
    Had a pertex jacket years ago. Seemed to rip/tear very easily. Has it improved?

I have the pertex jacket that broke at the seam, they rejected it and said it was my fault. Has put me off charge/surface/triton cycles (whom I bought it off) for ever. I was so incensed at the time that I was tempted to go to small claims, but for 35 quid I couldn’t be bothered, which I guess they were banking on. It was not even like it was a rip, it came unstitched and frayed at the seam and they were pretty arsey about it and spent a good few weeks deciding to be arsey. I’m sure others experience may well be better but once bitten…

Shame as it was a lovely jacket, packed down v small, v comfy, windproof, shrugged off the odd shower, but a tad friable..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/warranty-on-clothes-surface-pertex-jacket-and-triton-cycles

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s crap to hear, Toys. Hopefully you just got unlucky….or at least that’s what I am telling myself now I have ordered one.

….also ordered a Howies Dyfi, so if the stitching does look pap, I will just keep that and send the Surface back.

jam-bo

Dyfi is only £30 at wiggle.

I really like mine, but it wouldn’t keep out heavy rain for long

toys19
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    That’s crap to hear, Toys. Hopefully you just got unlucky….or at least that’s what I am telling myself now I have ordered one.

I’m using number 2 at the moment and have not had any issue. I actually think number one suffered from a manufacturing error. I measured the circumference of the cuff that the stitching went on, it is a full 33mm shorter than the other cuff, the new one has bigger cuff circumferences too. It felt a bit tight..

either way the TangoWhiskyAlphaTangoTangoYankee treatment I got from triton and surface/charge means I will never never spend a penny with them and would happily warn anyone else off, who cares if they make good products. If they are going to be out of hand dismissive when it comes to CS. I would not object if I thought it was borderline, but my jacket was hardly worn. I dread to think what Charge would be like in the event of a bike failure. Sod em, there are umpteen other bike and clothing manufacturers and retailers out there.

It has spoiled my wearing experience of the jacket, I used to really love it, but now it reminds me that there are people out there who are happy to take my money and not be responsible for providing a decent product.

Jamie
    Free Member

Dyfi is only £30 at wiggle.

That’s where I ordered mine from. No orange left, though, BOOO!

Thinking I might end up keeping that for running as seems to have more breathable bits of material in it, and use the Pertex for the bike.

It has spoiled my wearing experience of the jacket, I used to really love it, but now it reminds me that there are people out there who are happy to take my money and not be responsible for providing a decent product.

You should have taken them to court. I know it was £35, but just think of the warm fuzzy feeling you would have got. I think Surface stuff is ok, but I would never pay full whack for it.

toys19
    Free Member

You should have taken them to court. I know it was £35, but just think of the warm fuzzy feeling you would have got. I think Surface stuff is ok, but I would never pay full whack for it.

6 years. I still have time, I still might. It is not about the money is it.

Jamie
    Free Member

As I have Amazon Prime, plus free returns, I figured I would order some of the Surface Pertex jackets from Amazon, get the right size, then order from SpurtPorsuit knowing I’d wouldn’t have to piss about sending anything back as it didn’t fit.

I’m guessing it wasn’t just Toys jacket that had manufacturing issues…unless this double entry pocket is a ‘feature’*

Think I might give these a miss, and hope the Howies Dyfi are better.

*It isn’t.

footflaps

and hope the Howies Dyfi are better.

My Howies courier bag has that ‘feature’ on one of it’s pockets…

toys19
    Free Member

Careful how you send it back, they will say you put your finger through it…

Jamie
    Free Member

Careful how you send it back, they will say you put your finger through it…

Fortunately, going straight back to Amazon.

As an aside, after looking at my Snugflex, the stitching on the cuffs isn’t great, but at least that was bought from Amazon, so if anything goes wrong I know they will sort it out with no fuss.

…I did order another one in Grey from SP, so hopefully, if needed, their CS is just as good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Surface Jackets’ is closed to new replies.