Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Superstar wheels? Any good?
  • robw1
    Free Member

Someone mentioned these wheels to me. Are they any good? I have heard mixed reports about superstar wheels? http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pacenti-switch-am-26-wheelset-clearance.htm

robw1
    Free Member

if the above link doesn’t work (which I think it doesn’t!) its the pacenti / switch am wheels reduced to £149

chvck
    Free Member

Can’t speak for those rims but I have both the switch EVO and tesla hubs and they’ve been great. I get my wheels into water over the hubs quite often too. The wheels that I’ve had from there have been fine build wise but other people do seem to have had issues with tension and how true they are.

kimbers

as above, no experience of the rims but my switch hubs seem great so far and the build I got also in the sale – SS 29r rims has stayed impressive tight and true after 4 months on my hardtail

Yak

I’ve got a superstar switch evo/ pacenti wheelset. Spoke tension was a little lower than I would have expected, and I’ve had to re-true them twice in 6months. Mind you, I probably couldn’t have bought the components for the price of the complete wheelset, so its still a good deal if you are handy with a spoke key.

mcnultycop

Mine are ace, now, but had a build issue where both wheels simultaneously de tensioned. LBS redid them for me, sorted and been great for 2 years now (flow on switch evo).

Northwind

I’ve got a Switch/Pacenti XC 29er wheelset on my hybrid… The front wheel build is alright, the rear one pretty shoddy, the worst it’s ever had to deal with is a canal path but it went quickly out of true. To be fair to superstar, they do offer a rebuild service, I’ve just chosen not to use it due to inconvenience and not really being full of confidence that it’d be any better.

But as a parts kit, it was a superb deal and that’s kind of how I viewed it- even adding the cost of the rebuild by a competent wheelbuilder it was still good value. So no real grumbles, just a bit of a caveat before you emptor.

superfli
    Free Member

Bargains IMO.
    I have 26″ Crests on Switch Evo, 26″ Flows on Switch Evo and just bought some 650b Tactics on Tesla. My 26″ wheels are between 3+1 year old and have been great! Replace the bearings approx 18months, which is the same as my Hope Pro2 hubs.
    Cant comment on the Pacenti rims though

BoardinBob

Yes

Ran SS Slick hubs on XC-430 rims for 3 years with zero problems

Got two bikes currently running Switch hubs on Tactic rims and they’re both doing fine.

deviant
    Free Member

I use them, i have Tactic rims on Tesla hubs and they’ve been great…. Also have a set of their Elite-30 road wheels which are going into their second winter now.

As others have said, it’s so cheap it almost doesn’t matter if you get a crappy build as your LBS can always true/tension them and it still works out cheaper than elsewhere.

FOG

Have a set of SS Pacenti and Switch wheels which have been ok. I had read so much about crap builds on here that I obsessively check the spokes after every ride with no problems. The rims however are not great. I got a massive dink in the rear after a week in Scotland they must be incredibly soft because I managed to straighten them (sort of ) with a pair of mole grips and little effort. In contrast I have a very old set of Stans Arches which are still fine though rather scratched after 6-7 years .

jairaj

But as a parts kit, it was a superb deal

+1 Just view it as a set of parts that come partly pre-assembled, just needing a final tweak by your LBS or wheel builder. Even factoring in the cost of a spoke re-tension some wheelsets from SS still come in at a bargain price.

1981miked
    Free Member

Running switch Evo hubs on my bike and can’t fault them. Finish is great aswell, I used to run holes but couldn’t stomach the price for the wheels I wanted. Running some Mavic XC717 on the hubs. Very happy I purchased them, saw myself about £100 compared to the Hope Hoops.. And quieter!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Superstar wheels? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.