Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Superstar platforms. Left right specific?
  • Olly
    Free Member

Obviously the axels on pedals are LR specific, however are the BODIES of the superstar (cnc thru pin to be precise) LR specific (i actually have two pairs so could look myself if no one knows)

I want a Green pedal on the right and Red on the Left. My sister is into sailing so would probably appreciate it as a present for her new bike too. I want to buy a red pair, a Green pair, and then Mix them up, Obviously having the colours the wrong way around for “the other pair” doesnt work.

Cheers All!!

steezysix
    Free Member

Yeah, I think so. Hold them together, axles pointing up and you’ll see the leading edges of the platform point away from each other. So the whole thing is l/r specific. Sorry.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have a pair of thru-pins and have often thought the same, when you look at the bodies they look identical, just wondering if there was anything specific in the bore.

jonba
    Free Member

The bodies do appear to be L/R specific from the pictures.

From my knowledge of the internals I think they are identical. It would make sense from a manufacturing point of view but then so would making the bodies the same.

steezysix
    Free Member

That’s a very good point, I didn’t think about taking the axles out and putting them in from the opposite side!

Wibble89
    Free Member

The pedal bodies should be identical. However one end will have a bushing press fitted into it that you would have to remove and refit to the other end so that the axle could be inserted from the other end.

alpin
    Free Member

yes, they are L/R specific. no, i don’t think that threading the axle from the other side will work.

but if ou are buying two sets of pedals (grren and red) why not just fit one of each onto opposing sides of different bikes straight out of the box?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Can someone tell me which part of this pedal body is NOT symmetrical ?

I’ve often wondered if there is a bushing in both sides, therefore allowing the pedal to be reversed and get more life from it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

End cap on the left screws in x2. No thread on the right where the bushing sits on the axle.

If you put the opposite axle in one foot would be 10mm further back with the cranks horizontal?

paladin

Keep red-left and green-right for yourself , and give your sister the green-left and red-right. As a sailor she’d probably love that!

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe ask superstar if they will sell you what you want. They must have thousands and probably a few odd ones

wwaswas

Can someone tell me which part of this pedal body is NOT symmetrical ?

the ‘chamfer’ that’s at the back in the photo would be at the front if fitted on the opposite crank arm.

As above though, I suspect the same casting is used and then an insert makes them handed.

jonba
    Free Member

I did spend some time last night trying to work out the point group and whether they were chiral but it has been a long time since I studied symmetry. They are definitely chiral and I think C2V. They have rotational symmetry around the axis.

Either way the left pedal is a reflection of the right so they cannot be superimposed. As above the chamfer would be wrong. Look at the leading edge and the upper part is further forwards than the bottom. If you swapped for the other axle and put it on the other side the lower part would be further forward.

While the axles will go in they only go in from one side so this would not solve the problem.

I find it interesting that the pedals are designed this way. If I was doing it I’d make the bodies identical so that you had less SKUs, only the axle would be different.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve just serviced mine and can confirm that although externally they look the same, the internal bore is different in that one side has a bush and the other is tapped to accept the bearing lock nuts, therefore the axles can’t simply be swapped from one side to the other to reverse the handing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Superstar platforms. Left right specific?’ is closed to new replies.