• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Superstar bottom brackets – have they stopped doing them?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I need a new ht2 bottom bracket for my commuter and usually always buy superstar, they’re cheap and last around 6 months whihc is fine.

Just gone on to buy a new one and all the have is press fit angleset.

No others to choose from. I find that a bit odd.

muddy9mtb

6 months? are you constantly riding cobbles? fit shimano or something else never changed yet been 3 years, they start from £9.50 on merlins

DT78
    Free Member

I imagine they’ve stopped as they were terrible. Mine lasted 3 winter rides, shimano is the way to go for cheap BB’s.

Other stuff ss do is good kit – the bbs weren’t.

Gary_M
    Free Member

6 months? are you constantly riding cobbles?

No but I thought 3000 miles wasn’t bad for a £20 bb

tomd
    Free Member

The BB longevity willy waving didn’t take long.

Have a look at the gusset BB. Works well and has replaceable bearings. That said, I’m not convinced it’s cheaper overall than buying SLX/XT BBs from the Germans.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The BB longevity willy waving didn’t take long.

Yeh I find they last a long time if you don’t ride much 🙂

muddy9mtb

3 years with many many miles on the clock, still going strong

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think a few people are struggling with the concept of this thread. I don’t care how long your bb lasts as it depends on many many things.

If you get 18,000 miles out of a bottom bracket then you’re doing well.

The fact that muddy9mtb has now said the ‘3 year thing’ twice suggests its something he’s very proud of 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

Good for you. I, like Gary, get ~6months from HTII BBs on bikes that are used regularly. It could be that we ride different bikes in different places in a different way to you, or it could be that we’re mechanical reprobates. Actually I’m sure it’s my Andre Griepel-esque thighs and the massive POWAH they produce that just wrecks them.

jekkyl

don’t you hate that moment when you’re screwing in the BB and it goes a bit stiff and you cack it for a moment, thinking you might have threaded the shell but then it eases up and screws all the way in no problem, phew !

muddy9mtb

okay you ride allot of miles have you always used this bb? just try something else for a change

Gary_M
    Free Member

okay you ride allot of miles have you always used this bb? just try something else for a change

oh ffs your not getting it. Superstar don’t have any other bb with the exception of a pressfit one, so all their usual bb’s are no longer available. As they don’t have them any more I’ll obviously try another one.

No not always a superstar bb on this bike, maybe for the past 3 years.

muddy9mtb

peace is served…harmony all round

(next time just stick to finding it a bit odd)

daveh
    Free Member

Uber ones have a return on the outer edge of the top cap so I’m hoping they’re going to be good. Must check thinking about it, must be getting on 6 months.

jeffl

Went for some cheap XT/SLX BBs from CRC a couple of weeks ago, £10 a pop. Seeing as it takes roughly 10 minutes to change seemed quicker and cheaper than shelling out for and replacing bearings.

DT78
    Free Member

Bit of an a attitude there Gary…wrong side of the bed?

I was basically saying the sealing on them is pants compared to the cheaper shimano alternative…water gets in (if you ride in the rain and mud) and seizes the bearings pretty quick on the SS bb. At least it did with mine, and I didn’t buy again. So in short, for a cheapo bb you can’t go wrong with a Shimano, unless you are after pretty colours I suppose.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Superstar bottom brackets – have they stopped doing them?’ is closed to new replies.