Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Super star pads delaminateing yet again…
  • Milkie
    Free Member

I think yunki has brought up a good point about jabbing the disc on the pads..

60 day old pads, where were they kept salty humid place?

Isn’t it strange if you type “superstar pads trolling” and it comes up with that picture first!

Let’s add some pictures to make this thread worthwhile..

cookeaa

Spooky, I posted another thread asking about SS pads a few minutes ago obviously it’s disappeared without a trace due to the flurry on this one Cut ‘n’ paste below:

Like many people I swore off SS pads when I had a couple of pairs of the Composite/Organic pads separate from the backing some time back, but I’m willingto be won back over* (*I’m a cheapskate)…

It’s coming up to time for a re-stock of pads, My last lot of sintered Clarks were good so I’m thinking I’ll probably be after some sintered pads this time round.
    I’m assuming the disintegrating pads issue of old was confined to the composite ones – did anyone have the same problem with SS sintered? or for that matter their newer Kevlar jobbies?

And obviously I’d like to know how the kevlars compare with sintered, the claims on the website make them sound great but how are they really in terms of bite and wear when compared with a sintered pad?

Genuine question not looking for SS bashing troll action today…

hilldodger
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member
    What “dodgy batch” is that, Tandem?

The one about 3 years back 🙄
    seemed to particularly affect people on Mlehworld and resulted in insults aginst SS owners partner, an outbreak of gingerism, threats to burn down warehouse and general nastiness which would cause outrage if posted here………

portlyone

I use SS kevlars on my heckler, and sintered on my chameleon. Kevlars give great grip but only last a few rides in the wet peaks (understandably). The sintered ones stop me before tree filled death and last for years.

bigjim

cookeaa – I’ve not had them delaminate but the quality is very variable, the last batch I bought the pad material was too small and the metal springs just flop out the backing plates unless you bend them. I was very underwhelmed with the kevlars but lots of people seem to like them, I found the sintered better, though the kevlars do make that nice “vrrrrrrrr” you get from organic pads, rather than the “ssssssssssss” of sintered. So if you are also into the sound of your brakes that might sway your decision.

I’m not sure if i’ll buy from SS again after the last batch, but damned if I’m paying £15 a pair again.

Northwind

robdeanhove – Member

What? Well, yes, you really should oil your pads to prevent corrosion, just like you do your chain. Or maybe just some WD40 after a ride or when you’ve cleaned it to disperse the worst of the water! :-S

Very amusing. Actually, what you should do if a component becomes badly corroded is replace it, especially if it’s a safety-critical part, rather than waiting for the inevitable failure then complaining on the internet about it.

Or, if you’re using them in a very salty environment, which I assume must be the case here if the condition’s genuine, you ought to give the poor bike a hose down and clean occasionally.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glittergary – SSC stated there was a rogue batch that caused the issues of de-laminating pads and that this was not going to happen again. People continued to get pads that de laminated after this “rogue batch” was “removed” from sale

the “nastyness” from Mlehworld was because he ripped off and mocked 3 memebers with cranksets and then lied about it.

Northwind

Yep, tbh I think it’s fair to say that in the bike industry, it’s practically never a bad batch, it’s just a convenient feeble excuse.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

OP, where do you ride? On the bed of the North Sea?
    Theres less corrosion on the Titanic…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Has Mrs fruit raced against our jojo yet?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

*waves at Bruce*

slowoldgit
    Free Member

*gesticulates in return*

I think I’ll start a new brake maintenance regime. Wash, rinse and blow dry after every ride, spray brakes with WD40 and set fire to it, and then shine the disc with wax car polish. That should keep the kit nice and dry.

To think I’ve been carelessly leaving them to rust since my first ‘agricultural’ C2s about twelve years ago. I’ve been so lucky.

Northwind

Do you think that’s normal everyday corrosion on those? Seriously? Even the sets I’ve used for winter road use have never got anything like that. So assuming it’s genuine, I’m also assuming they came out of a phenomenally trashed bike.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If that’s aimed at me, NW, definitely no. Earlier today I changed out a pair of pads that have had several years’ neglect. Back brake: mostly used on long descents, and I haven’t ridden big climbs for yonks. There’s surface rust and traces of green paint on the old pads. The friction stuff is still stuck on there, except where it wore away to the backing and made the brake squeal. They’ve not been touched otherwise since I fitted them. It’s the benign neglect theory of maintenance.

Like you I wonder what state the OP’s bike was in, and equally what metal, plating and bonding went into the pads.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll bite. Check my picture. That is a “trashed bike” ridden in winter filth then mostly left in a shed for 9 months before being dealt with. I’d cleaned the parts I thought would rust but didn’t think about the pads. Nothing wrong with the OEM pads before I ignored them. Most certainly something wrong afterwards.

bigjim

Having laughed at this thread originally, same happened to me, the back brake started sticking and squealing and then pulled to the bars (made me go faster anyway). Pad surface had come off.

When I got home I had a look at the other pad, and the material was completely loose and only held in by the love of jesus.

Pads were bought in 2011, ridden in spring, then taken off whilst i had kevlars on over summer, fitted them again for winter. Bike is kept in my flat and dries quickly. Very surprised at the amount of rust on them but I guess they get hot and wet a lot, not sure that the water should be getting in behind the pad material so much though?

Guess the moral of the story is either don’t use pads for more than a few months, or don’t use superstar pads, not sure which!

matt_outandabout

Couple of rides: this is the pair of pads. Two sets did this, one set did four months. Who knows. And the owner was a chump who I refuse to give money to anymore – better people to give money too, even if it is a few pence more.

bigjim

I’m sure water shouldn’t be able to get between the pad and backing plate like this.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Use them all the time with no issues. Bike almost never cleaned. Maybe I am lucky…

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

lol… 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So in the interest of “science / research” when did you guys with failures buy your pads? I wonder if its date /batch related?

Personally – I’ve not had any problems – I’m working through the 4x deals I got in late 2010 ish.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

the web site says same stuff at half the price, he lies…

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Super star pads delaminateing yet again…’ is closed to new replies.