Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Summer solstice tonight, anyone out and about?
  • Mounty_73

Anyone else out tonight for the summer solstice?

I’m squeezing in a bivi after dinner 🙂

CountZero

You should have been out last night, although you won’t have too many others around to bother you.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, but it’s fairly depressing to think that after waiting so long for it, were nearly halfway though “light enough to ride after work” season.

(Ps I’m aware that there are things called lights, but I don’t care for night time riding)

Mounty_73

And to make it worse, summer has started with a wet one! 🙁

CountZero

My mistake, I thought it was last night, it’s tonight, they’re talking about it on the local Beeb news now. There’s been a lot of chatter about it recently, so I got a bit confused about the day.
    I won’t be going to Stonehenge, though, not when they’re charging £15 to park. Apparently the solstice is actually today, as it’s a leap year.
    Tempted to go over to Avebury, ‘cos it’s only 15 miles away, and there’s a bunch of places I can park and walk the rest of the way, but I’m not sure I can tolerate a bunch of people banging away on drums; most of them have no sense of rhythm whatsoever. 🙄

scotroutes

Currently camping on the west side of North Uist and it just doesn’t get dark. Cloudy tonight though so I doubt we’ll see the full moon

philxx1975
    Free Member

Langsett is sunny tonight ,and warm

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.. No, though I might go for a wander down the beach after the Gurland game.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Nothing major, just a quick ‘grind what ya find’ dig around the woods across the road on the big bike. Half an hour’s arseing about, basically. Brilliant!

Drac

Big charity walk tomorrow so not for me.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Avebury itself was too busy so walked back towards it along the Ridgeway from Hackpen Hill. Hardly anyone about and a lovely evening. Full moon was great too.

metalheart
    Free Member

Currently camping on the west side of North Uist and it just doesn’t get dark. Cloudy tonight though so I doubt we’ll see the full moon

The (strawberry) moon’s up and it’s clear on the East….

slowoldman

To be honest I can’t see much point in all this going out on the solstice thing. It’s not as though we still worship the Sun is it?

RustySpanner

We’ll, I worship it more than I worship anything else.

Which amounts to my love of coincidence, a nice view, a vague guilt at my lack of spirituality and an aversion to cider.

scotroutes

Still another 35 minutes to the Solstice. Can’t see the cloud clearing 🙁

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s not as though we still worship the Sun is it?

Maybe more people should start worshipping it, might be less arguments then as at least the sun actually exists 😆

metalheart
    Free Member

C’mon Colin, the power of positive thinking and that!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Wednesday nearest the solstice is always an excuse for something a bit daft. Heading over to the Lakes after work to carry a bike up a mountain, and ride it down the other side.

(Clears sky in Northumberland at the moment)

rocketman
    Free Member

God it was quiet last night. Was there something on TV 😉

Can’t beat football for clearing the trails

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah the beach was quiet too, only a few Guls and Lapwings out..

But then the beach here is always quiet (well my part of it)

Didn’t see much of the Moon as it was cloudy, without Meatballs.

petec
    Free Member

quick pootle up the ridgeway after getting to work at 6am.

Front brake froze on – obviously a bubble in the oil. Then got a puncture in the rear tyre.

Slightly disappointing really.

Mounty_73

The sunset and sunrise ended up turning out much better than I anticipated, there was a lot of cloud early in the evening, but it cleared up nicely in the end.

I slept pretty good too, even after YET another self inflatable mat failed, this time its the valve that’s kaput! No more self inflatable mats for me!

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

I’m going out riding this evening – a day late and a dollar short !

brassneck

I won’t be going to Stonehenge, though, not when they’re charging £15 to park. Apparently the solstice is actually today, as it’s a leap year.
    Tempted to go over to Avebury, ‘cos it’s only 15 miles away, and there’s a bunch of places I can park and walk the rest of the way, but I’m not sure I can tolerate a bunch of people banging away on drums; most of them have no sense of rhythm whatsoever.

Still think it’s a bloody cheek to charge, after a childhood of picnics in the stones when no one seemed all that bothered about them. Plus 1 on Avebury, was going to cycle over but I’m getting too old and cynical to enjoy the end point.
    Maybe Silbury or West Kennet next year.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It was rubbish on Wednesday, I shouldn’t have bothered

I_did_dab
    Free Member

@ir_bandito – yes it was rubbish 8) Are you going to share the footage of your ‘little moment’?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

@I_did_dab: maybe….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Summer solstice tonight, anyone out and about?’ is closed to new replies.