Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Summer in Austria – anyone holidayed there who isn't minted?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

It’s booked 🙂

Staying at the hotel recommended by mick-r at the halfway point and then have bust our budget by staying here for 12 nights Hotel Seerose

Now I have to wait 7 months and ponder whether to bother taking the bike or hiring. Can’t wait, trys not to wish life away 🙂

Thanks for all the advice and help.

mick_r

Wow – hope you like it! Been a few times but we last stopped there on the way home in 2012 – was awful traffic Ulm-Stuttgart so we only managed to squeeze a couple of hours dash round museum (open until 7pm on a weekend so was really quiet and got the Jumbo / Submarine etc to ourselves). There is a big metal tube slide down from the Jumbo and a few other planes 🙂

Breakfast was good in the hotel. Speyer city centre is easy walking distance – felt like there were millions of ice cream cafes open in the evening but we eventually found an Italian tucked down a side street for pizza.

Sister muesum at Sinsheim 40km down the road is also good (can climb into Concorde and Tupolev “Concordeski” at jaunty angles on the roof). Makes UK museum efforts to exhibit Concorde look a bit lame…..

We’re currently looking at West Austria / Switzerland combo.

Selled
    Free Member

Ha…Fareham… I also lived there for a while. To add to the small world thing, Orangex said he stays at Haus Hislop, Claire is a good friend of ours also:)

Anyway, John, if you want a spin when you are here feel free to get in touch. Dsell00 at the gmail thing.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Try Garmisch Partenkirken just on the boarder in Germany, we stayed in an american hotel there that was quite cheap theres lots to do there and its only a short drive to Austria.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers Selled, if my memory recalls the offer 7 months from now it would be good to have at least one run out while there 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks selled, booked Reither almen for a week in September. Looks perfect!.

orangex12012
    Free Member

Hi selled I am going to hh in July Aug poss mention to Claire and arrange a ride but I would need to hire a couple of bikes ?I have only ridden her old rock hopper whilst there and also hired bikes from strass station and ridden up the valley.

Selled
    Free Member

Bike rental is no problem

http://www.alpbike.at/home/

As mentioned, I would happily show you some great trails. I will tell Claire we were in contact, drop me a mail or get Claire to call me.

Dave

Selled
    Free Member

Nobeerinthgefridge – when in September? Do a Google and YouTube search for Reith Almabtrieb.

orangex12012
    Free Member

Thanks Dave
    I will be in touch and look forward to riding. Just tell Claire its Nick and Tom riding she will know who we are.

orangex12012
    Free Member

Thanks Dave
    I will be in touch and look forward to riding. Just tell Claire its Nick and Tom riding she will know who we are.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

selled, 12-19 September, I’ll have a look at that.

colp

Very nice/reasonable apartment in Maria Alm available to rent next time anybody is looking.
    Bike tool kit, track pump and some spares included.
    15 minutes from Leogang. 😀

http://www.apartmentamade.com

johnj2000
    Free Member

Only one week to go now. Everything booked apart from return journey accommodation and we are yet to decide whether to take bikes. Can’t wait!

dknwhy

Got back from Saalbach-Hinterglemm yesterday. Didn’t want to leave! Such a beautiful, awesome place.

Take bikes if you can. Rental in Saalbach was around 30 euros a day.
    Tip for you: if you drink beer, it’s cheaper to buy a crate. Take the empty crate and bottles back to the supermarket and they have a machine that eats them and then gives you a voucher (5 ish euros) to spend on more beer!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Good tip dknwhy. The place looks awesome and I have just found out that it is a top fishing lake as well. Things just get better and better.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Selled, sent you a mail the other day, did you get it? Bikes are coming along with us now and I hope to get one proper ride in amongst the pootles with the family.

BillMC

Organise a day or two trip to Gyor in Hungary, stunningly beautiful, lunch for a fiver and a massive Leffe for £1.50. Friendly people and great offers on AirBnB.

BillMC

…oh and a factory in Gyor makes the majority of Audi engines. Could be of interest to some STWers. Didn’t see any Tudor watches though.

johnj2000
    Free Member

This place is awesome as a place just not obvious where any biking is yet

johnj2000
    Free Member

Just a bit too far to drag the family to Gyor BillMC. We are near Salzburg so wrong end of Austria.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Summer in Austria – anyone holidayed there who isn't minted?’ is closed to new replies.