• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Suggest a set of Good brakes!
  • adamhood
    Free Member

I’ve got avid 5 at the moment but even with nuke proof pads in they still squeal like hell when slightly wet and don’t stop me anywhere nearly as good as I want! Don’t mind spending a bit to get some reliable stoppage power.
    Please help me narrow my search a little 🙂

everyone
    Free Member

Anything Shimano or Hope.

simondbarnes

Deore

mc2
    Free Member

I’ll second Deore’s (M615’s)

Northwind

I love my Formula The Ones… Downhill strong, xc light, bags of feel, reliable and fully servicable to boot. Price aside I’ve nothing bad to say about them at all but the price thing is still quite a big deal! Considering how many pairs of Deores or XTs you could get for the same price.

v666ern
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-brakes-200

Snap! I opted for slx as crc didn’t have the xt I was looking at…being built now, hoping they are as good as they look!

jonnyrockymountain

I have tried hope, formula, avid, magura. But now on XT’s and they are far better than the others I have tried

adamhood
    Free Member

Gonna have a look at the formulas and the xt thanks 🙂

KonaTC

Can I suggest that you have a good set of brakes already, I am an Avid fan and you just need to set them up correctly.

the last few mins shows you how to set up the pads

Just remember you can get all brakes to squeal and under-perform with little effort.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My vote is with Hope, current set is 3 years maintenance free (just a couple of bleeds) and the previous ones are 6-8 years and going strong. Heaps of power and lots of feel/control.

adamhood
    Free Member

Kona TC – Member
    Can I suggest that you have a good set of brakes already, I am an Avid fan and you just need to set them up correctly.

the last few mins shows you how to set up the pads

Just remember you can get all brakes to squeal and under-perform with little effort.

Just watched the video, gonna give it a go tomorrow, if I still have no joy then I shall swop them,

superfli
    Free Member

+1 for Formula the ones. I just bought my 2nd set for my HT as my old hopes felt so poor in comparison. £130 for some 2012 models 2nd hand.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

current set is 3 years maintenance free (just a couple of bleeds)

😕

rickon
    Free Member

No one will believe me but Avid Trail 9. Simply awesome. Check out the bikeradar review, its spot on.

gogg
    Free Member

I was sorely temmpted by the Deore at £67 for a pair, and the SLX at £99 but decided to go bling and went for the clearance 2012 Formula RX at £99.95 an end. They were sweet on the Marin on Sunday, much better than my Giant own brand that I’ve been running for the last 5 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Suggest a set of Good brakes!’ is closed to new replies.