Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Success stories of 26" gear in 650b frames…?
  • johnny

I know there have been a few threads about this, but i thought i’d start an updated one, as there are a lot more of the lower/slacker geo style frames around. I’ve just found a crack on my Yeti SB66 frame, so i’m thinking it’s time to shift to a new frame.

Cash flow dictates that it would smart to use my existing kit on a new frame, so i’d be interested to know if anyone has done this successfully and avoided pedal strikes from a slack, low BB, for example.

I would be running 160mm 26″ forks and 2.35 tyres. I’m looking for a 150/160mm -ish frame. Ideally it would be something with 142×12 rear, tapered headtube and threaded BB as well as sensible bearing sizes and robust build. Currently the Banshee and Transition options are looking the best ones, but i’d be interested to hear of others!

BillOddie

The wife is running 26in wheels in a On-One 45650B frame. 150mm 26er forks.

She seems to like it.

johnny

I forgot to say I’m really looking for a full-sus option, though a suitable long travel hardtail frame might be a good short term solution!

I also have a great 29 XC/trail bike, so I’m really looking for a longer travel design.

mildbore

Hora to the forum please!

rob2
    Free Member

I use 26″ wheels in a 660b heckler. Rides well.

I had use 160mm 26″ forks to get decent geometry (I’m sure 150mm 650b forks would be fine but I found the combined effect of 150mm 26″ forks and 26″ wheels left the bb far too low and the front too steep. The extra10mm of fork length made a load of difference which surprised me)

I don’t really get pedal strikes and not planning on changing the set up any time soon.

mattherby
    Free Member

Interested in this myself. Currently got a mega TR with 650b forks and 26″ wheels (it’s a 26″wheeled frame) but I’m quite keen to go for a Bird Aeris and run my 26″ wheels.

I’m sure the world won’t implode and I’ll be fine…. Maybe.

bone_idle
    Free Member

Spectral here with 26″ wheels and 160 fork, wow bike is a weapon no plans on changing the wheels. As long as you don’t have a super low BB what can go wrong. Bike will corner better and wheels spin up quicker.

win win

hora
    Free Member

I run 26 wheels in a Commencal V4 and 650b Mazz forks. I don’t think my setup would work with 26″ forks as the clearance would be zip. The trail helps too. On Fox 34 650b forks it was OK, Mazz best.

It’s super low, nimble and a beaut. I tried 650b wheels (new Hope 40T) etc ones and although it rolled quicker and rolled over lots more without having to think I reverted back to my older, worn Hope hoops in 26. It just feels..’alive’.

hora
    Free Member

forum/topic/650b-feel-alittle-underwhelmed

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t tried 26″ wheels in my Spitfire but I rode a mate’s SB66C last week as he was trying my hardtail and it felt quite similar but not as good (steeper head angle so less stable, slacker seat angle so less good at climbing).

johnny

Lots of good points here- it’s mainly the low BB that makes me wary!

I’m quite into the idea of either a Banshee Spitfire or Rune, which I’ll have to decide with some demos, but my instinct is that a slightly smaller bike, like the spitfire would be fine, as I’ll be running 160mm/26 forks. I’m not so sure about longer travel frames, as the a/c on the 26″ fork would be about 10mm shorter than the 650b equivalent?

I’d be interested to know what might happen on a Transition Patrol or a Scout… And I’ve seen some handsomely reduced Devinci Spartan frames too…

teethgrinder

26″ wheels in a Spitfire with 650b dropouts and Pikes.

Seems good to me, with the benefit of tons of mud clearance at the back.

jamesoz

Mattherby, I think if I were to run 26″ wheels on my Aeris I’d need steel toecap boots anywhere rocky.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Success stories of 26" gear in 650b frames…?’ is closed to new replies.