Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • subbuteo – basically, how do you play?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

picked up a great subbuteo set from the car boot the other day, sort of one you would long for when you were a kid, well i did anyway. set it all up for a game with my 8yr old but beggared if i can remember exactly how to play.

i had a look online but just got longwinded tecnhical rules, can anyone give me a very quick run down of the basics?

Junkyard
    Free Member

flick player towards ball – you miss ball it is their go but if you hit it is your go again. Repeat till a goal is scored.
    It is sporting to let the other player get to the goalie first before shooting.
    Think they get to flick one of their player to block your progress as well but not hit the ball after your go iirc.
    he wanted to call the game hobby but was not allowed and subetto is the latin name for the hobby bird- trivia fact

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

can you advance your players before you flick the player on the ball?

nicko74

Does it come with a thimble for flicking? Sounds flicking painful if not…

McHamish
    Free Member

If I remember correctly, you set it all up in the dining room before dinner on boxing day. An hour or so later you discover the dog has trashed it and chewed everything.

Then for the next few weeks you find little chewed up football men in the back garden after the dog has ‘digested’ them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Get annoyed playing it in your mates house cos he’s cheating smash it all up stamp on the players upset his mum get banned from his house.

Even better if he’s got the floodlights and stands with hand-painted fayns.

SMASH SMASH KILL DESTROY!

Junkyard
    Free Member

can you advance your players before you flick the player on the ball?

NO but you can use any of your players on the pitch

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

after the dog has ‘digested’ them.

my lab ate one of my chainsaw gloves, you should’ve seen what that looked like a day or so later when it came out!

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

From memory, you get 3 “flicks” of your players, ie you flick the man onto the ball, causing man to move, which keeps it “your turn”, and at the same time, you can flick 2 others into positions where they may receive a ball from the next – to siumulate team mates running up the field. You then continue to make progress flicking a man at the ball and making contact, and another 2 off the ball flicks, until such time as you fail to make contact with the ball.

to prevent infantile “long ball games” the ball must be ahead of the shooting line (twixt half way and penalty box).

Remember to flick “properly”, or if we end up playing, and I have 9 of my precious Aston Villa no 74 team hanging in the goal netting, as you went “ping ping ping” like a machine gun, its fist pie for you sunshine.

To be honest, at first, it seems dull and slow. but trust me, when you get up to speed, and can accurately flick the little guys round things applying spin ;like on a snooker ball, and can jut the ball how har/soft you want from a decen distance, it can become incredibly fast paced. You end up losing the ball say, by passing it into an opponents figure by mistake, and then the other guys all over you, flick flick and can score before you get in place for the keeper.

Practice, does actually make it a brilliant game. its exactly like snooker,which is shit till you have some sort of skill, then makes sense from there.

Cougar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subbuteo

Players maintain possession as long as the figure they flick makes contact with the ball and the ball does not subsequently hit an opposing figure, although the same figure cannot be used for more than three consecutive flicks. Shots at goal can be taken once the ball is over the ‘shooting line’, a line parallel to and equidistant between the goal line and half-way line. Goalkeeper figures are attached to a rod that fits underneath the back of the goal. The offside law is in effect, but only pertaining to figures that are forward of the opposing team’s shooting line (as opposed to the half-way line, as in actual football).

ObDisclaimer, I know nothing about Subbuteo (though I hate football and love board games, so I think I’d quite like to give it a go…)

theotherjonv

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na12OyJEgJ8&feature=related[/video]

duntstick
    Free Member

PS3

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers guys. i’d read that you had three flicks but it did’nt seem to make sense that you could’nt also advance players or move into defence.

cougar… carboots and ebay. this set, 3 or 4 teams, grandstands (spectators, filmcrews etc), pitch etc cost me a fiver. i hate board games, but this is fun.

duntstick… boy has fifa 11 on the wii. same game different fun.

yossarian
    Free Member

Did anyone ever have rugby subbuteo? I remember a bonkers scrum machine in the shape of a rugger ball and goal kickers with one articulated leg.

Pigface
    Free Member

Subbuteo cricket as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘subbuteo – basically, how do you play?’ is closed to new replies.