Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • STWers who ride road as well, is the price of petrol affecting your riding?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m less and less eager to drive 2 hours to the Lakes cos it costs me a fortune and I’m tending to grab the road bike instead.
    Is it just me?

_tom_
    Free Member

It’s why I bought a road bike! Sick of having to drive 1.5+ hours for a decent ride so thought I’d just ride what we have locally. Also considered trying bmx again as we have a few alright skateparks.

druidh
    Free Member

Hopefully, as the price of fuel keeps rising, the roads will get quieter. So, it’ll take me less time to drive anywhere and when I’m there, there’ll be fewer cars.

Double win!!!

aP
    Free Member

I’m just surprised that were ever people who’d regularly drive for 2 hour to go riding.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m just surprised that were ever people who’d regularly drive for 2 hour to go riding.

You are easily surprised then.

firestarter
    Free Member

i must be too 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

aP – Member

Really?

😐

In answer to the OP, no, not just you… But while work finances all my fuel & car, then no, I won’t stop driving 2hrs to ride..

I do ride on the road straight from my Door, but as I only have Delamere to ride locally on the MTB, I’ll gladly drive.

tazzymtb

luckily my singlespeed only works at low revs and freewheels downhills with my brain in neutral thus increasing my MPG (miles per giggles) and reducing carbon emissions at the same time.

*it wasn’t actually a serious question was it?*

aP
    Free Member

Life’s too short to spend 4 hours a day in a car. But then I don’t work in IT.

cinnamon_girl

When I had a road bike, I rarely rode from home. Too bloomin’ dangerous! Living in a high density area and sandwiched between two motorways doesn’t bode well. 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

More or less given up riding regularly offroad…..nearly always pick up the road bike now.

aP
    Free Member

From 25 years of road and off road riding experience high density roads actually tend to be less disturbing than open roads full of cockjockeys ragging their company s-lines in between database meetings.

bagpuss
    Free Member

The last couple of Sundays I’ve wondered if there really were less cars out or if it was just wishful thinking.

crazy-legs

More or less given up riding regularly offroad…..nearly always pick up the road bike now.

Same here.
    Road riding is easier, quicker, cheaper and given that my local riding (North Peaks) tends to spend about 9 months of the year as a drivetrain and brake pad destroying gritty paste, it also means I spend less time cleaning the bike.
    Just in the process of selling one of my MTBs, down to 1 MTB when that goes.

djglover
    Free Member

From 25 years of road and off road riding experience high density roads actually tend to be less disturbing than open roads full of cockjockeys ragging their company s-lines in between database meetings.

LOL, that sounds like a lot of people I know!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Druidh – any decent road loops starting out your way? Any distance.

druidh
    Free Member

SBZ – there’s a couple here: http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Road-Bike-Routes/

Easily extended or even joined to make bigger loops. The roads are pretty good – fast, but open and good sight-lines for motorists. Some of the back-roads are pretty rough mind!

Jamie
    Free Member

That is just nonsensical.

rp16v
    Free Member

im only about 45 mins ride from ashton court but sometimes its nice just to get out and sprint around the streets like your 12 again bouncing off damadged curbs,tree stumps or trying to get across a boggy field whithout stoping 😆
    other than that the slicks get used for the commutes thats it

cinnamon_girl

I still want a road bike. 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

So – buy one!

How about a Medium sized Focus Cayo?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The escalating price of Meths has forced me to resort to drinking supermarket vodka. 🙁

bassspine
    Free Member

I don’t drive much, and I’m always a light-foot driver, but it does seem that motorway driving is generally closer to the 70mph theoretical speed limit these days, and that local roads are a little quieter.

Also, I’m seeing a lot more cycle commuters, but that may be the warmer weather.
    I’ve been getting more road room from car drivers recently too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CG there’re plenty of quiet roads round here, just need to know where to look and put up with the occasional busy bit.

2 hours to ride? Fek me, I feel like driving the 10 miles to the far side of Swinley to ride tunnel hill, proidgepot etc is too far!

2 hours? I’d rather go visit my parents if I’m driving that far, my bikes good but it wont cook me a roast dinner!

boxelder

Time’s the issue for me – very limited, so don’t waste it behind a wheel if it can be helped (which, living in the Lakes, is easier 🙂 )

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

One of my motivations for buying a road bike is I’m done with driving in excess of an hour to ride offroad. Cotswolds have plenty of roads but not so great for mtb.

cinnamon_girl

So – buy one!

How about a Medium sized Focus Cayo?

Stop it! In less than a year I’ve bought and sold frames/forks twice!

MrSpoon – I find that after around 5 miles it gets better but … those 5 miles. 😯 I’ve done bits of the waymarked circular Berkshire route.

aP
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Why?

snaps
    Free Member

Road?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ride?

samuri
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Why?

Because you’re trying to make some sort of link between spending 4 hours in a car and working in IT. It makes no sense.

Jamie
    Free Member

aP:

Why?

samuri:

Because you’re trying to make some sort of link between spending 4 hours in a car and working in IT. It makes no sense.

yunki
    Free Member

I think the point ap was making.. Is that he would consider sitting in a driving seat for four hours per day a senseless waste of life.. whereas an IT manager would have vastly different standards regarding the issue due to the nature of their work..
    the comment makes perfect sense to me.. and is almost mildly humourous

but then I’m not trying to be deliberately obtuse..

samuri
    Free Member

Fair enough. I work in IT and I would hate sitting in a car for 4 hours no matter where I was going. I certainly very, very rarely drive anywhere to go riding. But lets not let any truths get in the way of a good troll shall we.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I use the road bike instead of the car where possible. And drive to less places to ride mtb. I either need to be sharing lifts with a couple of people who will contribute to petrol, being going somewhere thats just far enough that having to ride there and back means I won’t be able to have fun whilst there in case I don’t make it back or it has to be somewhere ace!

That said, since I’ve been back at uni I’ve ridden mtb once and my road bike for at least 1 proper ride a week, often more!

mooman
    Free Member

I guess i ‘m lucky then.
    We got great mtb trails 10minute ride from the door.
    And great rides for the road bike that can include the Bwlch & Rhigos within a 70mile loop.

No driving needed for any bike.

clubber
    Free Member

whereas an IT manager would have vastly different standards regarding the issue due to the nature of their work..

I’m an IT manager and find it odd that people will drive two hours regularly for a ride. HTH

mboy
    Free Member

It’s why I bought a road bike! Sick of having to drive 1.5+ hours for a decent ride so thought I’d just ride what we have locally.

Similar thing. To get to any decent riding is at least 45 minutes each way in a car for me, I do have stuff nearer but I find it boring truth be told! I’ll always gladly go out on the more local stuff in a group ride, but that’s not all that often, these days it’s mainly just me and my GF going off riding together…

Bought a road bike mainly to keep up the fitness, ride it perhaps once or twice a week, from my door, for a couple of hours, as I only ride MTB on Sundays really at the moment (though might change a bit as summers coming). And like many here, have downsized the MTB collection slightly too…

DezB
    Free Member

If you live somewhere 2 hrs away from where you meet people to go riding, why wouldn’t you drive there. It’s worth it! And it has F-all to do with what job you do. Nonsensical is damn right.
    I’d rather drive 2 hrs to go MTBing than road ride from home any day. Well, apart from the days I commute to work by road bike, of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘STWers who ride road as well, is the price of petrol affecting your riding?’ is closed to new replies.