Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stumpy FSR upper eye shock bolt replacement
  • vinylspin
    Free Member

While I was unscrewing the upper eye shock bolt on my Stympy fsr to replace DU bush I have managed to strip it’s hex head, too much Locktite (blue).. 🙁
    I did manage to take the bolt out eventually without damage to other parts, but I had to take the linkage apart etc…
    I purchased a bolt from ebay which was advertised as having 1mm fine thread, but it’s actually bigger, probably 1.25mm.
    Does anyone know where I can get one of these bolts on it’s own rather than buying the whole kit, it’s (M8 x 36mm 1mm pitch)?
    Please see my ad in the wanted section
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wanted-fox-shock-bolt

vinylspin
    Free Member

Anyone please?

gibber

Just checked mine… same problem! I rounded mine but it was still stuck in the frame so I got some bolts off ebay for when I need to service the shock, but as I’ve not had it out I’ve not checked the thread.

At M8 1.5mm pitch is standard, 1.25 fine, so it must be a 1mm in the frame.

Had a look around but those seem really hard to find, one of these would work as a temporary/ugly fix: Ebay bolts

Advert for these guys says they are hand made, so might be able to run a 1mm thread down a blank M8: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-M8-X-8-A480-STAINLESS-ALLEN-CAP-1mm-FINE-PITCH-/400364390057?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item5d3793c6a9

Theres a few out there for non-button bolts, but you’d have to put a thick washer under the head to spread the load out.

schnor
    Free Member

I use these (but 55mm) for my pitch and the thread is spot on. Steel BTW, not the stupid soft cheese alloy specialized use.

IIRC I went for the 20mm thread not the fully threaded, which yours looks like.

Seeing as postage is £2 for just one bolt, what I did was measure up as many the other bolts as I could and get them all in one go.

[edit]

I think I got this for the lower shock eye with a matching m8 nut / 2 thin washers

vinylspin
    Free Member

gibber, great find, that’s the seller I ordered a couple of “temp fix” bolts from, however they sent wrong thread @1.25, but they will resolve the error.

Thanks Schnor, these do look the business, btw do they rust?
    Regardless I have just placed an order, I hope to get them before the weekend to put my stumpy back in action.

schnor
    Free Member

No probs. Its been about 12 months now and I’ve taken the shock off 4 or 5 times – which was enough to round off the old alloy ones – but zero wear and zero rust 🙂

gibber

Nice one schnor, I’ll be getting some of those for the shock bolt. Just debating if I should take the FSR linkage ones out to check the thread is a 1.25 or not (do it now and risk stripping them… or wait until they really need changing… hmm).

Even £2 postage is better than £50 for a whole new set of cheese bolts.

Just have to be a bit careful not to strip the female thread out of the frame as the stainless bolts will probably be stronger (when we spec bolts at work we never put a stronger bolt in, just in case some muppet over tightens it – you wont see it fail until its in use!). For some reason bike industry designers seem to put in really weak headed bolts, I guess so no-one damages the component.

vinylspin
    Free Member

Schnor that’s reassuring,cheers.
    My damaged bolt is deffo steel with a bit of surface rust, but there was too much blue loctite on it’s threads which together with rust helped me to strip it fairly easily.
    It was right pain to take the bolt out..Even though the bolt is steel the female thread in the linkage is still perfect, as long as the threads are match it shouldn’t be a problem. The finer the thread is the stronger it is and more difficult to strip.

I dont think I will use any loctite this time round, just give it a regular check instead, what do you think?

schnor
    Free Member

Never really been a fan of loctite TBH. I just gave mine a light greasing and, as you said, checked at the end of every ride for a few rides until I forgot to.

Thinking about it, its doubtful it’ll fall out (famous last words!) as even just sitting there, the weight of the wheel / rear triangle means its always under some load. Dunno about your stumpy, but on mine when unscrewed I need to take the weight of the rear end then wiggle it out from the hex end, or knock it out with a screwdriver from the threaded end.

vinylspin
    Free Member

Agree, same here I have to wiggle the bolt out too.From now on grease it is then 🙂

gibber

I just spent 4 hours very very very carefully drilling the upper shock bolt out so I could get the shock serviced. Had to drill it out (from the non-head side) until I could tap a 6mm thread, then shove a stainless M6 bolt in and wind the alloy one out. There was no way that was wiggling out!

The actual bolt is an M8 x 0.75 pitch (i.e. finer than “fine”), and 33mm from base of the cap to the end.

So my previous suggestion won’t work as thats a 1.0mm pitch.

The closest thing to a match I’ve found is this one from the US, but min quantity is 25 and they’re $4 each. So might have to just cough up for the bolt kit from spesh and be really careful in the future 😡

http://www.titaniumpipe.org/fb/products/fasteners/screws/buttonhead/vupdc_Detail.php?UPDCID=31273003

gibber

EDIT that last one… its 35mm long with the last 12mm threaded – just found the extra 2mm in the carpet!

teethgrinder
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stumpy FSR upper eye shock bolt replacement’ is closed to new replies.