Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Stuff that lasts a lifetime
  • higthepig
    Free Member

Dried up weetabix.

My Dad’s shoe cleaning brushes, issued to him in the late 50s when he did national service.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Proper powertools:

Bosch blue, Makita, Hitachi – none of this own brand/diy stuff from the big orange shed.

+1 for the Halfords Pro socket sets and spanners bout a set recently – nice, solid tools.

scuzz
    Free Member

You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you’re satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you’ve got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you’re trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Victorinox knives

stever
    Free Member

Oh, glad you reminded me, my chopping board is almost due it’s centenary. Made at school, ahem, a while ago. Recycled from a desk lid stamped 1914 I think. Maybe we’ll have a small party.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I have a few gig t-shirts from the mid 80’s still going strong
    BUT have had a few Le creuset pots de-enamel, all be it they had been handed down to me!

cranberry
    Free Member

My parents got one as a wedding present*, and it got used semi-commercially for a decade or so. It is still in use today.

* I am knocking on the door of 40 and despite some rumours to the contrary, not a get.

kcr
    Free Member

Adventures and experiences that take you beyond the everyday will stay with you forever.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a grandfather clock from 1811.

As for Le Creuset – it’s good stuff, but doesn’t last forever. My mum’s thrown away her set from the 80s, as the enamel was shot. I’ll stick with the Aldi copies at 1/4 of the price.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Snap On and Facom handtools. I’ve had stuff for twenty five years and it still looks and works like new.

I have woodpiles that may outlive me.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

mcmoonter’s tractor

legalalien
    Free Member

I just got a Saddleback leather wallet. When it arrived we were discussing which future grandchild it could go to.

Last year I acquired a Kifaru rucksack. Quite bombproof and should outlast me.

flange
    Free Member

I have a Halfords Pro socket set and thought that would last forever, but the hex & torx sets have now achieved the consitency of dry crumbly cheese and have started snapping.

Halfords will replace these if they are from the Pro range – just walk in and speak to someone, no receipt needed..

bigblackshed

Bahco spanners, Knipex cutters and crimpers, Makita power tools.

Halfords Pro tools were made by Signet. Canadian Snap-on. Excelent for the money. Don’t know who makes the latest Advanced stuff though.

Bottom line is buy the best you can afford. I’ve got a mixture of tools and the older bits are generally a lot better quality. Just not so shiny.

MrBlond
    Free Member

I have some of these:

made by my great grandfather, use them to measure hubs etc

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Halfords will replace these if they are from the Pro range – just walk in and speak to someone, no receipt needed..

Bugger. Just bought replacements a couple of weeks ago

RustySpanner

Rega turntable.

Decent waxed cotton jacket.

Jar of Marmite.

Zamberlan boots – not quite for ever, but last pair kept going for 21 years.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Rolex watches,Works of art/coins.Oh,and GT Bikes.

maycontainnuts

Proper powertools:

Bosch blue, Makita, Hitachi

I use all the above brands in my work, they all get a hard life and all do pretty well, but all wear out/break between 1 to 5 years.

Hilti on the otherhand will last a lifetime.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I love stuff that lasts a life time or gets a full life and throughly worn out. Stuff I own that fits this spec:
    Brian Rouke Road bike now 33 years old still with original Dura Ace derailer and shifters
    Timberland all leather shoes, have been re-soled 5/7 times now 32 years old
    Swiss Army knife, had two new blades ten years ago, now 34 years old
    Specialized Stumpjumper bought new in 87, original derailers and thumb shifters-bullet proof!
    Mulberry wallet and diary both over 30 years old
    My workbench vice is from the 40s
    the odd SnapOn tool i bought 30 years plus, all going strong
    Some Le Creuset and our every day knife and forks from Mr Mellor now 22 years old
    My great coat from the fifties
    We have some furniture thats years old, my wardrobe is late 1800s, draws, slides, doors all fantastic, it will be going strong a few more generations!

other last a life time items
    Submarine jumpers
    original spec A2 and Irving jackets

D0NK

Shimano hubs.

pff front ones maybe freehubs not so much.

Jar of Marmite.

not in my house

Saxa Salt tub

mine got full of damp and the salt turned a disturbing brown colour.
    Scaffold pole on-one frames possibly
    Hardtails work as new all the time, good shout.

portlyone

My broom has lasted for decades… 😉

DrP

Tattoos…?

DrP

Klunk
    Free Member

quality musical intruments, probably last several life times.

My Leatherman Charge has been driven over by a 2t pick-up and been through the washing machine – still as good as new.

ourmaninthenorth

Though I don’t own one, Aga range cookers.

Mrs North’s great aunt has an Aga in her farmhouse.
    It was installed in 1946.
    It was second hand then.

Just had a service and on it goes….

Klunk
    Free Member

my marshall jmp mkii head unit & speakers, 35 years and still going strong.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Proper powertools:
    Bosch blue, Makita, Hitachi

I use all the above brands in my work, they all get a hard life and all do pretty well, but all wear out/break between 1 to 5 years.

Hilti on the otherhand will last a lifetime.

Speaking in terms of DIY rather than a proper tradesmen – They’ll probably last me a lifetime as I’m coming to the end of our renovation and I’m guessing it’ll be a good few years until the next one.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

My Saxophone was made in the mid 40s. I’m 25 and am hoping it will last me.

I’d quite like to know the history of it actually.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

FIRSTLY bosch is mass produced far east rubbish & wont last the year .
    it used to be very good but like dewalt is now just tat painted a different colour to the rest .

due to our disposable lifestiles this will be seen as a rare thing to do.

miketually
    Free Member

My dad wanted a new hat for walking when he retired. He was going to get a Tilley hat, but he didn’t think he’d get the full use of it before he pegged it.

I like stuff that looks better as it gets used over a long period. Decent jeans, leather shoes and belts, wooden work surfaces, old bike frames.

Some nice blogs on this stuff: http://www.itsworn.com/

I like the Japanese idea of Wabi Sabi, too, which I think goes hand in hand with this.

rondo101
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject of Halfords advanced professional stuff, their 150 piece socket set is down to £100 from £200 today.

AndyP
    Free Member

Jar of Marmite.
    2 weeks, tops.

eyerideit
    Free Member

rondo101 – Member
    Whilst on the subject of Halfords advanced professional stuff, their 150 piece socket set is down to £100 from £200 today.

That’s the one I got and that was last month – My brother bought that set last Jan for the same price.

It’s a Bargain, also got the ratcheting spanners that are halpf price as well and from the pro range.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Myford lathe with my name on it. I think my Uncle bought it off the company he worked for during the war and he still uses it today, I’m getting taught in the dark ways of old skool manufacturing from a 93 year old!

soma_rich
    Free Member

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for AGAs.

Ours was installed in the ’50’s when the house was modernised. It’s duck egg blue, and solid fuel. Noone would have coal in their kitchen nowadays, but I couldnt live without it. We put a new riddle ring in at Christmas and you could poach lobsters from the kitchen hot tap.

My sister is a violinist. He violin was made in the early 1700s and her bow around the same time. Its travelled around the world with her, gets played every day and still has a fantastic tone.

porter_jamie

my dad has a compressor which is at least 50 years old, and still works, one of his lathes is a 1940’s ward, and was used up until recently daily. he has hand tools which are older than him too (ie 70 years old) which are almost as new.

You can still buy good stuff – i bought my brother a set of facom screwdrivers for about 40 quid maybe 18 years ago, and they have been used and abused a lot in the meantime – hardly any marks on the edges. quality kit.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Your heart.

stever
    Free Member

Buy a Brooks B-17 now and you can hand it down to your children and your children’s children. It might be broken in by then.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Stuff that lasts a lifetime’ is closed to new replies.