Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Student loans company say I owe them money – I paid it off two years ago!
  • Pook

I paid off my student loan a couple of years back. As you’d expect I was dead chuffed. Anyway, today I’ve had a letter saying that the payments made up unit the point they stopped them didn’t match the balance.

Basically, they are saying I owe them another £544.82, which despite the difference in owed v paid being £380 (according to them) as it is adjusted for interest.

As I see it, they should have picked any error up 3 years ago and I’m being charged interest on their poor management. And even then, the error is there’s in telling me I was done and automatically ending my payments.

Anyone else had this and know how to deal with it???

bradley
    Free Member

Agree to pay it back at £2 a month as that’s all you can afford.

parkesie
    Free Member

They are a useless bunch of £@&)s nothing more to add other than to ask them for a full break down of your payments to prove you owe them. If for no other reason than they probably have no real idea.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tell them to try and pry the money from your cold dead body and take it to small claims.

MSP

Do you have any correspondence from when payments stopped saying that it was all paid in full? (or wording to that effect)

Trouble with the student loans company is they are not covered by normal credit agreement laws, and seem to get away with far more abuse than anyone else would be allowed to because of it. They know they hold a special legal position and use it to excuse their incompetence.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Tell them to try and pry the money from your cold dead body and take it to small claims

The problem with this is that despite them being in the wrong, they’ll quickly manage to absolutely ruin your credit history if you don’t pay up.

Orange managed to put a few ‘missed payments’ against my record when I disputed I owed them £100 quid, despite them finally admitting after 3 months that they were wrong, and it was them that owed me the money! Idiots…

I’d be looking at the ombudsman

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If your’e dead sure you owe them nowt then let them chase you for it, then pull out the paperwork to prove it & shove it up their noses.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Student loans company say I owe them money – I paid it off two years ago!’ is closed to new replies.