Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Strong Light Cheap- recommend me a wheelset.
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello looking for a wheelset for nephew , he weighs 200lbs approx possibly more, so needs to be strong but looking for the wheelset to be less than 1,800 grams and a budget of £300, less if possible?

What do people think?

carlos
    Free Member

Think you should pick two of what you want to be realistic

Strong & light = expensive
    Cheap & light = like cheese
    Strong & cheap = heavy

etc…

solarider
    Free Member

As Keith Bontrager said (and from the title of your post I guess you know!)

Strong
    Light
    Cheap

Pick 2

Having said that, £300 aint cheap. In terms of components, you’ll get fairly boutique for that. Hope hubs, DT rims (avoid Stans for heavier riders despite the temptation of weight), DT or Sapim DB spokes. Don’t be tempted by the bling of factory built. If he is heavy and rough on his components parts can be expensive and difficult to come by. Handuilts will be better suited to him, and easier to repair should things go wrong.

Who builds them is equally, if not more important. Find the best builder you can (I favour Harry Rowland, both for building and advice, although he is mostly into road wheels).

You don’t mention which discipline (XC, FR, DH?). Also consider 20mm or 15mm bolt through axel at the front and bolt through at the rear.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, it is for his ‘trail bike’ so xc/long days (6 to 8 hours/enduros, more adaptable the better but would think 20mm.

solarider
    Free Member

Not making assumptions about your age here, but if he is a young nephew, go for a hub that is convertible between 9mm QR, 15mm and 20mm so he can change if his riding preferences change.

vondally
    Free Member

lol he is 21, currently has my hope on mavic en521 whilst i am not riding, so realistically looking at hope hubs and lighter rims?
    Any suggestions?

campfreddie
    Free Member

i was skulking over on bike radar last night and i’m sure i saw a pair of hope pro ii on stans ztr rims for only £235(ish) including some nobbly nick (or racing ralphs)… to me, that’s a no brainer!

Wookster

Hope hoops mate the crests on pro II are a good bet.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Or flows for a slightly tougher option. I weigh about 12st and have hope hoops on crests – taken a few rock strikes and they’re still straight as an arrow , really pleased with them

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Strong Light Cheap- recommend me a wheelset.’ is closed to new replies.