Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stripping a frame back to raw…. then what?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got hold of a 97 Pantera frame which is a lovely colour, kind of deep blue purple but it’s seen better days so I was thinking of stripping it back, polishing it up and getting it clear coated / lacquered to keep it shiny.

The stripping back isn’t too much of a problem but it’s the “what to do next” bit I’m unsure of. Is lacqering something I could do myself or best to go to a proper frame sprayer and get it done like a pr0? Other option is a frame skin/protector?

Just wondering.

Poopscoop

I have done similar in the past, its DIY job if you want it to be.

Have a look on Retrobike. This is right up their street. If you do a search on there you will probably find too much info on the subject if anything. lol

Good luck, will be a great build once finished!

Can we have pics once the frame is lacquered?

timba
    Free Member

Aluminium really needs to be etch-primed, you can get clear primer from a motor factor that stocks wheel refinishing paints. You could ask a wheel refinisher or car painter for a pro job (not that yours wouldn’t be 🙂 )
    Clear etch primer seems to be hard to find online, most are grey

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cheers guys… It’s probably going to be a winter project (it’s too hot in the shed, garage or even in the garden now, I’m melting here….I’ll geek it up on RB in the mean time. There’s a few scratches and gouges on the frame too so those will need sorting when it’s stripped.

I’m assuming that nitro mors is the way to go? Or worth hiring a sand blaster (or something finer?) to remove the paint?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Here it is in it’s current state (needs new running gear, BB, headset and wheels). Keeping the STX v brakes and levers. Got an old 8/9 speed rear mech on it, cables removed, a 80mm Syncros stem on and 680mm Truvativ world cup flat bars on. It will also have some bar ends on if I can locate some nice looking Onzas or x-lites

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If that were mine I’d leave it, such a shame to get rid of an original paint job, scratched or not.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Agreeing with dan. Wear the war wounds with pride

superstu
    Free Member

Definitely keep it as it is if it were mine. Touch up and really rough bits but keep it as it is!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmm the last few comments REALLY appeal to my lazier side… I just love the look of the silvery shiny-ness.

Now off to find an XT sharkfin….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stripping a frame back to raw…. then what?’ is closed to new replies.