Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • stripped threads in my post mount…
  • rhid

I, like many, have stripped the threads in the post mount on my rockshox revs. The lbs said that helicoiling it is difficult. So so should I try myself or is it time for new lowers or even new forks?

How successful have your home helicoiling attempts been? I’m willing to try but have also found a few sets of damaged revs on eba, hence thinking new lowers could be the safer option.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much are the lowers? Could be a cheap and quick solution of the bushings are still good.

rhid

Sorry I should clarify, in this case helicoil is difficult as it’s the bottom mount and not very deep…or that’s what I got from it! Anyone in North wales who can recommend an engineering place that could sort me out?

rhid

Currently about 50 on ebay. It’s a definite option as a helicoil kit is about 30. And I could mess it up.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Did you strip it by putting the short bolt in the wrong hole??
    Tried Threadlocking it?

andyl
    Free Member

Try the eBay lowers. If okay then eBay your old ones with an honest description as someone might be up for fixing them. Do the bushings need matching?

Another option is bond a stud in I guess, if you trust it!

Helicoil would be worth a try though.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

We (18Bikes in Hope) have the correct helicoil kit for doing that, send me a good pic to matt@18bikes.co.uk and I’ll let you know if we think we can do it

Matt

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

double post

rhid

I would rather fix them completely as they are on my gfs bike. So either helicoil or new lowers! I think I did strip the threads by the short bolt method….that combined with clumsiness!

cloudnine
    Free Member

If it was the short bolt / long hole strip then you havent stripped all the threads.. id try the correct bolts with a bit of thread lock first.. will probably be fine

rhid

I tried that and there is no thread left! I appear to have made a mess of it!

matt I ‘ll drop you an email at the end of the week as currently in Portugal on hols!

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I look forward to it 😉

If you can measure how deep the hole is that would be handy too

Ta
    Matt

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘stripped threads in my post mount…’ is closed to new replies.