Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 271 total)
  • Strava adiction
  • dobo
    Free Member

Since getting on Strava i think i’m getting slightly addicted. I’m finding that i now must ride certain segments as fast as i can or try to do even more meters climbing or increase my distance or when running increase my average pace speed etc.
    I’m finding it a good training motivation tool, wish i could download other peoples rides as a gpx though..

warton
    Free Member

the segments are very addictive, every ride recently has been planned to include as many as possible

mooman
    Free Member

Yes – it does add a bit more incentive to ride certain bits harder.

My KOM `s are slowly being taken away as the fast riders discover Strava ..

wallop

There is a whole thread dedicated to it on our club forum and it really, really shows who the competitive individuals are!

muggomagic

Me too. I now try and plan rides to take in as many segments as possible and really try to push myself to get a faster time. Before Strava I’d only ever just ride round and never worry about how long it took. I have been using the iPhone app, now I’ve bought a garmin edge so I can have the data on the bars and see how I’m doing. Really looking forward to my ride tomorrow I’m even going to pass on the Stella tonight.

Oggles
    Free Member

It is so addictive! I just checked through the segments I held 1st position and someone has poached a couple within a km of my house. (they really need to implement a notification feature)

I won them over winter on the cross bike – time to get them back now that the summer bike is out 😈

hugor
    Free Member

Love Strava. Very much changed how I ride too.
    I would love to find a way to mark start/end points of segments on your garmin and have it alert you when your entering/leaving one.
    Alternatively Strava could produce small plastic signs that people could pin to trees.

dobo
    Free Member

Strava alerts, oh thats a good one

DT78
    Free Member

Just read about this on mbr, must take a look this evening!

f me. fastest time for cwmcarn twrch is 46 mins, my fastest is just under an hour….

Anyway to upload from garmin connect?

mooman
    Free Member

Its heartbreaking to bust your gut to get a decent time – and then notice somebody has almost halved your time .. and after they had already ridden 117miles .. I now hate Dan Fleeman 🙁

dobo
    Free Member

Dan was clearly giving it everything he had if his heartrate is to be believed! 205, thats above my max which is about 190 these days.

some of the road ride kom are just incredible

mrmo
    Free Member

not to many segments by me, so i have been creating them, a fair few to give me something to chase when the weather gets better.

mattjg
    Free Member

My and my riding buddies are having lots of fun with segments, suspect we’ll be doing hare and hounds soon to make for exciting finishes.

I set up a segment so I could name it. Lots aren’t set with their ‘proper’ names, shame as trail naming is an art.

Some numpties are making segments of cheeky trails, dodos. Stop it.

hugor
    Free Member

I was pretty proud of myself for getting a KOM the other day, but after close inspection I found out that I’m the only person to have ever ridden it!

Who creates segments that they’ve never ridden?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Who creates segments that they’ve never ridden?

Didnt think you could do that! I tried to do it for some hills back home that I ride a lot, but have never done with Strava and couldnt see how to do it?

DT78
    Free Member

faff getting a track out of connect and onto strava, don’t seem to be able to name the export file from connect either which doesn’t help.

*grumble*

Think the competitive bit of Strava is good, but prefer connect as my main place to log tracks.

hugor
    Free Member

If you have a look at this segment it has been ridden by one person which was me yesterday so somebody created it without riding it.

mattjg
    Free Member

hugor, could be they rode it on a ‘private’ ride.

I can’t find a way to make segments I haven’t ridden.

Benefit of using a phone app is no faff with file synching and uploading, its all done for you. Disadvantage is elevations are wrong as they are taken from a db not barometer. Doesn’t bother me, it’s a toy not a serious training tool.

DT78
    Free Member

Ok another dumb question, loaded 5 tracks, is there any way I can see a summary of the segments / tracks and the overall positions without having to click into each activity, then click the segment and scroll to the bottom?

dobo
    Free Member

dt78 if you have a garmin device just upload it all from there straight into strava
    hugor i think strava automatically creates some segments if they meet a certain criteria like gradient/elevation per/km or something.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve got literally hundreds of local logs on the device, so just wanted to compare/compete on a couple of trail centres (which I’ve loaded ok now from connect with some faff)

Doesn’t seem to user friendly to identify your placings without drilling down through the detail. I’d like to see a score next to the title of the activities themselves. Some segment at afan I appear to be 6th, and 16th for the twrch at cwmcarn. Can’t be arsed to drill through everything though.

In wales for easter, given me some incentive to thrash it round, I know I can go faster!

hugor
    Free Member

DT78 when you go to the dashboard a summary of all your rides is listed and just below the ride is the achievements on segments.
    If you want more detail you need to click on the ride.

dobo
    Free Member

theres certainly room for improvement in several areas of strava but its major pro is that theres nothing else really like it.
    Hopefully it will improve over time.

a programmable report feature would indeed be useful to get to all the stats you need
    notifications on kom on certain segments, downloadable gpx etc. user created challenges, the list goes on.

DT78
    Free Member

Ah ha, thank you Hugor I’ve spotted it now, looks like you have to ride the same track more than once to get the PR’s achievements pop up, and I suppose as I’ve only got on segment in the top 10 why it I haven’t got many achievements yet.

Would still be nice to know the twrch run was 16th without drilling in though…wonder how long before garmin connect copies the idea?

fbk
    Free Member

I’ve uploaded a few rides from my garmin and it seems to create stages itself – every climb, be it road, off road, or walking up to section a trail has been given a segment and time. Unsurprisingly, I’ve got KOM in quite a few 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Only been signed in a week and already chasing times on local segments.
    But it’s added some fun and incentive to my comute.

DT78
    Free Member

What are KOM’s? Is that where you have a 1st place?

Maybe I should log some local runs then !

hugor
    Free Member

King of the mountain. 1st place on a segment.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have loads of kom s but mostly on bits only I have ridden lol

scaredypants

shit !
    I’d never heard of this before. I’m pretty sure there’s people who get up road climbs literally twice as fast as me, even on a good day

simondbarnes

I am King of the Warburton Toll Bridge

http://app.strava.com/segments/1084411

and the Trans Pennine Trail

http://app.strava.com/segments/1097800

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

It automatically creates segments, hence you being KOM on climbs only you’ve ridden.

There’s 2 near me it’s defined which are wrong, shows them as being massive climbs when it’s actually a pretty flat road!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve had that too. Totally flat road and it’s marked as cat 4. But hey im
    Fastes either way lol

jam-bo

Took 6s off my current favourite DH run this evening.

nick3216
    Free Member

^^^^ ditto the effect on commute

fbk
    Free Member

Time to take the car up some big climbs with my phone then – I rock 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Odd uploaded my last gentle 25 miler round lordswood, didn’t seem to setup any segments, do they have to be significant climbs? A couple of other segments already logged by other user are on my route. And I agree as.soon as the really fast guys get on it, it won’t be much fun!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I think it will set up some cat 4 by itself, but they have to be at least a given distance (500m? 1km?) at over 4% I think. You can add your own segments that are any terrain type at all.

plodtv
    Free Member

wish i could download other peoples rides as a gpx though..

so did I till I found: http://cosmocatalano.com/strava-gpx-export/

orangeboy
    Free Member

Would you not then see exactly where they start riding. Ie home mostly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘Strava adiction’ is closed to new replies.