Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Strathpuffer
  • kirkland
    Free Member

Hi, I’m after some advice from anyone out there who has taken part in the Strathpuffer MTB event. Entered as a pair. Any advice from pervious competitors/years on kit, bike, how often to swap rider, things that may not be thought about etc.

breadcrumb

I’ve done the previous 3 years as part of a quad, so can’t advise on everything. Signed up as pair for the first time 2015.

Take spare sintered pads that you’ve already bedded in, the mud has mica in it and it will wear your bike at an alarming rate.
    Have a source of warmth for while you’re waiting to go out.
    Take different types of food, it’s hard to force the same thing down for 24 hours- especially through night.
    Consider a SS, less to maintain = more rest and less faffing.
    Don’t use a rear light, no need for one on the trails they just dazzle the rider behind.
    Take plenty of clothing, it’s never been that harsh while I’ve done it, good to put fresh gear on though.
    Have fun!

rickmeister

Have you got a pit gimp… ? Takes a lot of pressure off…
    Single laps during daytime, doubles at night …

breadcrumb

^ I like that lap idea- nice one.

We have a pit bitch, a damn fine one at that 😉

Spin
    Free Member

Single laps during daytime, doubles at night

My mates that did it last year have switched to this.

As for nutrition I know someone who did it as a solo and powered pretty much the whole thing with gels, about 48 of them. Grim.

terrahawk
    Free Member

If you’re seriously racing, stick to single laps and have a bike on a turbo trainer in your pit to stop getting stiff legs.
    Singlespeeds are surprisingly good at the puffer. I’ve done ok in the solo race on a SS for the past few years.

Eat food that doesn’t contain much fat. Drink coffee at 2am.
    Get a studded tyre for your front wheel. If it’s icy and you’re running a normal front tyre you’ll probably do a lot of crashing.

Look after your helper and thank them profusely afterwards. It’s a crap race to support someone. Cold, dark, damp and there’s nothing there.

epicyclo

terrahawk – Member
    …Singlespeeds are surprisingly good at the puffer. I’ve done ok in the solo race on a SS for the past few years.,,

And the prize for understatement goes to ^^ 🙂

It’s been warm the last few years, but don’t forget it’s capable of turning on some real misery, eg sleet on the lower part and then subzero up high, or just plain subzero the whole race. Take clothes to handle the worst.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Smile for the camera

joshvegas
    Free Member

Don’t be bullied off the course for a faster rider keep at it and let them work out how to pass you.

As for your pit crew I have done that too. I had fun, i strongly suggest you try and get a spot on the course so its a bit more interesting and if you try and get it on the return section you can communicate what you need as you go past towards the checkpoint and they can bring what you need to the fireroad for a smooth transition.

Oblongbob

Done pair and quad before – quad this year.

Agree with all the above, thought I tend to do triple laps in the night – means you have to go through the grimmest part of the process (starting your laps) fewer times. Once I’m going I might as well do 3. Also, you need less kit for changes!

Take lots of brake pads. If we have a wet year then you will go through them (couple of laps sometimes, though I think 3-4 laps out of a set if sintered pads is about average in crappy conditions at SP). Wouldn’t bother breaking them in though, the grit will do that first time you brake, and they’ll be half gone by the end of the lap.

I’ve done one year where it was more or less sheet ice on all the fire roads – on the bright side it was very fast – on the downside, you’re stuffed without spiked tyres – I’d say take two. 4 out of 5 years you’d be fine without, but on the year you need them, you’ll really need them.

B****r singlespeed, I like a nice low gear for spinning up the fire road and the odd steep sections!

Spare chain and cassette sensible. I’m being a bit of a wimp taking some super cheap waterproof trousers this year ’cause I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be wet. If it it bucketing with rain and sleet they won’t keep me dry, of course, but they’ll keep rate of water replacement, and therefore heat loss, down. Also I won’t mind gaffer taping them over the top of my shoe (overshoes if it’s really minging) – we’ll not be racing, and I’m sure the racers would scoff at the very idea of waterproof trousers.

Take good pile of socks!

A helper is a great thing – as a pair, it’s grim if you need to do maintenance and it eats into your rest time. They’re few and far between though.

Bin bags to dump your wet kit in after you’ve been out – you won’t want to reuse much of it.

A read mudguard is a bloody good thing – maybe not cool, but has the advantage of getting much less mud in your backpack/saddle pack and in your arse region – which makes for less abrasion, and therefore less grimacing in the shower when you get home.

breadcrumb

Wouldn’t bother breaking them in though, the grit will do that first time you brake, and they’ll be half gone by the end of the lap.

That’s why your pads aren’t lasting. They need bedding in with some heat.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve been procrastinating on the ice tyre issue for ages, thinking that the fat bike might cope well enough…

So incase I do buy some, any 29er recommendations? Am I wasting my time on the cheaper tyres?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thought I’d bump this, who else is going? I ended up getting a pair of the Schwalbe Snow Stud tyres in 38mm 😕 seemed logical at the time as in cheap enough and I could use them for commuting afterwards, I’ve a funny feeling they are not going to be any use at all though if the course is icy. The idea was using them for a few laps then hopefully I’d be able to switch to a more mud capable tyre.

terrahawk
    Free Member

The 38mm tyres will grip, the problem I had with them was the complete lack of comfort and stability on rough ground, so you’ll probably go slower. Also utterly useless in snow.

I’ve got a 2.2″ studded Schwalbe. It’s basically a Racing Ralph with spikes. Ideal.

Having said all that, at least the 38mm ones will help to keep you upright.

breadcrumb

I managed to stay upright when it was pretty icy (couple of years ago I think?).

I had a few moments but pick your line carefully and you stand a fair chance of staying upright. That said I’ll be able to borrow some ice spikers if it is massively icy.

Extended forecast isn’t looking too bad at the moment.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes by all accounts it could be mild again. Snow studs arrived today and hopefully they will be fine for a few laps if it gets icy, keeping upright rather than speed is the priority. If it is snowy I’m taking the fat bike anyway, used it last year and felt that the big tyres helped correct a lot of mistakes I would have made on skinnys.

Northwind

The puffer offer I always make… If anyone wants to borrow a pair of 26 inch ice spiker pros and can pick up and return (or post back) to Edinburgh, let me know. Also got a brand new ice spiker (not pro- amateur?) if you want to buy one.

Never going to do this race, it looks horrendous but I’ll happily facilitate other people putting themselves through it 😆

Oblongbob

Breadcrumb – the pads don’t last because of the abrasive grinding paste that is the mud in which they’re asked to operate, quite possibly including mica. Sintered pads don’t need heating to bed them in, they need worn slightly to remove any glaze and ensure their profile matches the discs nicely – that’s what breaking-in does. They’re made in bloody great furnace so a bit of heat from braking makes buff all difference to the structure or strength of the pad – in fact, it’d be pretty worrying if the type of heat generated during braking changed the pad structure. It’d be a pretty poor manufacturing process if the longevity of brake pads was determined by the amount of heat generated during the break in period. I’m not saying breaking pads in is a bad idea, but it doesn’t magically make them last longer, and they’re going to get broken in well enough on the first descent.

breadcrumb

I’ve never had to change pads at the event. Used half a set at most, that’s with 8 laps as part of a quad in pretty grim conditions. I’ve always bedded in my pads, more consistent braking and IMO better life span.

youngrob

Ahh, the pre puffer conjecture is the best part of the event. I’m doing a pair again and can’t wait. CRC are delivering extra riding clothes on a daily basis and I’ve got a spare set of wheels sorted, with ice spikers, just need to order a load of pads from Disco Brakes and I’ll be ready. Oh, and I might try to get out on my bike a couple of times this week too.

Good luck to everyone taking part. See you at the burger van at 11pm, a late night burger is a bit of a tradition for us.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I never noticed but is the burger van open all night?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I never noticed but is the burger van open all night?

Haha! Preparations going well I see!

joshvegas
    Free Member

It wasn’t open all night when I did it. Almost cried.

breadcrumb

Yup, I went down for a burger and they’d shut for a few hours. Gutting.

dazh

How many bikes? I’m thinking two. Tempted to take three but that’s probably overkill. Doubt (ie I’m sure) if my legs are good enough for a whole 24 hours of singlespeed. So thinking a 26in singlespeed, and a 29er with gears. The other option is a 29er singlespeed but I don’t have a studded 29in tyre and don’t want to spend 75 quid on one.

Dare I ask what tyres? Apart from ice-spikers if it’s icy, will ardents cope with the mud? Any better ones?

And last question, what’s the best time to turn up to ensure getting a good spot? We’ve got two camper vans (one per team, before anyone reminds me of the parking restrictions) we want to park next to each other.

Far too many things to think about with this thing! It’s like planning a military operation.

trout
    Free Member

850 competitors
    318 vehicles allowed for the teams on site

so going to be pretty crowded and earliest you can pick up your parking pass is 14.00 on the friday
    Good luck

AlasdairMc

As a Puffer virgin, what is the deal with parking? I’m a solo, unsupported – is there a loner’s tent I can dump my stuff in or is it worth me bringing a tent for it?

breadcrumb

You can park your vehicle along the side of the course. Or/and set up a tent.

Solo unsupported! Fair play!

youngrob

The best advice I can give is to get to Square Wheels as early as possible. There is usually a queue at the gate of the forest. Last year we parked the van almost at the top of the fire road and that’s where we’re aiming for again.

Oblongbob

Dazh – I’ve ridden once with a racing ralph on the back and a rocket ron on the front (2.25 I think), another year with nobby nics both ends (2.25 I think), a year with spikes on both ends (the very snowy/icy year), and once with a spike on the front only, probably a nic on the rear – the only time I had any real probs was when it got very icy at the top of the course during the night and I couldn’t get much grip without a spike on the back – ended up falling on my arse on one lap, but I mainly put that down to a 3am foggy head, but it would have been nice to have had the grip. Most of the track is fairly decent trail centre stuff or forestry track, so really grip isn’t too much of a problem for 95% of it. They seem to have stopped doing the really muddy bit through the trees, so even if it’s pretty wet it’s not too bad for mud. There are a few bits where I’d have liked something a bit more aggressive (like the off camber right hander on the main descent, grassy bits after the viewpoint, muddy link between the forestry road climbs near the start of the lap), but only for a few short bits and overall I’d be inclined to avoid anything too draggy. Bigger volume tyres are probably not a bad idea to minimise sinking into the fire track climb (not sure if it makes any real difference, but in my head it does).

I’ve never ridden ardent, but I reckon you’ll be fine on them – I’m guessing they’re somewhere between a ralph and a ron. Something with a bit more bite might be nice for confidence, but not necessary.

I seem to currently have a hans dampf on the front and a nobby nic on the back (both 2.35), so reasonably nobbly, and I think I’ll stick with them this year unless it’s icy, in which case I’ve got some nice ice spiker pros which I got cheap a couple of summers ago.

daveb
    Free Member

Done it in a pair a few times before, and again this time. As others have said, daylight laps single lap each, going into evening and overnight double laps and see how its going.

Its great fun, horrible at the time but once all over you will realise how much you loved it. I have said never again on my last two, this will be my last one……….

devs
    Free Member

My 5th. Done it as solo and pairs. I’ve changed one set of brake pads in the last 2 years and they were both wet and muddy. This is down to bedding them in first. I respect opinions saying that bedding in isn’t necessary but they are wrong :). If you put a fresh set on get your pit bitch to bed them in on the hill. If you don’t they won’t last the event. True story science fact right there.
    I’ve always done laps in pairs as a pair, maybe push it to a triple in the night to let your partner get some kip if necessary.
    I’ve used the big marquee as base when I solo’d because it was warmer than the tent I took. Take every bit of clothing you ever owned and change as soon as you finish a lap. Never let the wet kit cool you down. Take an old duvet or sleeping bag that you don’t mind getting mucky and wrap up in it as often as you can between laps. Ardents are fine but maybe too heavy if you are a serious racer. It’s a grippy course if it isn’t icy so fast tyres can be used but a bit of volume is nice up top in the wee small hours. I find the course really jars and hurts then. Don’t touch the condensation in teh portaloos, it hasn’t come from your breath and don’t wipe using the red light from your headtorch. 🙂

epicyclo

breadcrumb – Member
    I’ve never had to change pads at the event…

I suspect pads have improved considerably over the last few years, but also the course is nowhere near as muddy as it used to be.

I’m considering switching back to disks for this year as a result.

However I do have a suspicion that mud at around and below 0ºC is much more abrasive than when it is warmer – which could explain how long pads have been lasting in the almost tropical conditions we have had in the last 3 ‘Puffers. I’m a cowardly brake dragger so pads get a hard life from me. 🙂

If you are a soloist, the time lost changing pads can cost you a lot of riding time in the race (I usually am unsupported), so brakes with quick change pads are important. Try doing it in the dark after freezing your hands in icy water if you want some real life practice. 🙂

rickmeister

Epicyclo.. have you got a course condition update ? Snow, mud etc etc ?

dazh

Thanks for the very useful tyre advice. I have now become transfixed by the weather forecast models on the internet. I really shouldn’t look should I? 🙂

robbie
    Free Member

AlasdairMc I am doing it in a pair for first time this year, I have a big gazebo which you are welcome to share. Also have 2 pit bitches coming so plenty hands to give if you have any problems
    Give me a pm if interesred and ill drop u my no
    Cheers

epicyclo

rickmeister – Member
    Epicyclo.. have you got a course condition update ? Snow, mud etc etc ?

It had a tiny amount of ice on it the other day, but it will be well thawed by now.

The Norwegian weather forecast suggests snow early next week followed by sleet, so who knows?

epicyclo

View from revolving chair today

GavinB

So, are we thinking the Ikon XC tyres are a little optimistic?

breadcrumb

This should be interesting…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer’ is closed to new replies.