Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Stoves: Wood Briquettes/Logs/Nuggets for backboiler & rads???
  • back2basics
    Free Member

Hiya,
    anyone on here any experience which (if any) are better than just seasoned hard wood, we need to keep a long very hot heat to run our rads and hot water off the back boiler of a upcoming new stove….(would prefer not to use coal)

examples are here Link to place that sells them

thanks anyone!!!!

meeeee
    Free Member

ive used these before and found them very good:

greenfires

edit: they are ‘hotties’ logs, so can probably get them from other places as well

Stoner
    Free Member

on a p/kWh basis they’re not actually very good value for money.

They do give of a decent hot heat but the packaging, processing, happy-clappy marketing adds up.

Last year when I ran out of seasoned wood I bought a similar product from a local joiner. He would use an automated hydraulic press to process all his wood waste (kiln dried timber) and the briquettes (c.3.5″ diameter, 4″ long) would drop into a builders agg bag. I paid around £50 for 400kg, which at 5% moisture is around 2.5p /kWh.

However, that link, even if you buy at 1 ton at a time, is costing around 7.5p/kWh

If you buy in 10kG bags, at a time its 20p/kWh

Other things to bear in mind, they do tend to swell when they burn so dont overload the burner. Also they dont dwell as an ember, they burn out so the fire is hard to revive if you have let it die unlike wood embers.

You will find getting hold of cheap willow or poplar, and season it yourself for a year and then even better in a greenhouse for a few months, will give you a hot burn, good for flue gases, and much, much cheaper.

PS I always recommend reading this
    http://cosi.co.uk/HeatingAndChimneys/LOGSBioFuelPriceComparisons.html

back2basics
    Free Member

great thanks stoner

hey as an aside, i just read on that you can get an RHI grant from the governement if the wood burning stove is your only source of heating for the home, as long as its MCS accredited and Installed…
    hmmmmmmmmmmm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Stoves: Wood Briquettes/Logs/Nuggets for backboiler & rads???’ is closed to new replies.