Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stone chipped windscreen caused by mud from tractors..
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Muddy field exit on the road, car coming other way flicks a stone up from the mud.

Is the farm liable or just suck it up?

jam-bo

I think they have a duty to clean up after themselves but proving liability? good luck.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Suck it.

Cougar

Most chip repairs are free if the smug radio adverts I hear six times an hour are to be believed.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah if you have windscreen cover..

robdob
    Free Member

Suck it up. You don’t know if the stone that affected your car was trailed out from the field anyway. Might have already been there.

Sliding on the mud might be a different matter though..

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Civil Action
    Civil action can occur where the presence of mud results in personal injury, damage to property, loss or inconvenience. The presence of mud can constitute a public nuisance and loss or injury can result in a claim for negligence.

Hmm from council website

zokes
    Free Member

Yeah if you have windscreen cover..

So you want to blame someone else for your lack of foresight?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pretty much yeah, problem?

It’s not my fault so why should I pay up?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is the farm liable or just suck it up?

Seriously?
    How do you know the stone was from the field? Why not claim off the car coming the other way? It’s from that car you got the damage.

Or just suck it up (which is the obvious answer).

Drac

Windscreen cover is usually standard.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You couldn’t see the Tarmac so I’m guessing…

zokes
    Free Member

Clearly, what you saw was what you got…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

If you were going fast enough to get a chipped windscreen on a road that clearly had mud on it, I’d suggest you were going too fast for the conditions.

Cougar

… or the other car was. He could’ve been stationary for the difference that makes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Windscreen cover is usually standard.

It is, but it usually affects your premiums if you claim and if the mud was left there negligently…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I was aware the mud was there as I live a mile away and it’s been there 2 days. The guy coming the other way was the one going fast.

The farm should take all practicable measures to clean up.

shermer75
    Free Member

Wysiwyg and mates apprehend unsuspecting farmer, later today:

soobalias
    Free Member

funny how you were driving, but its not your fault.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That makes no sense… If the car was parked would it be my fault?

Drac

It is, but it usually affects your premiums if you claim and if the mud was left there negligently…

No it rarely effects your premium.

You could approach the farmer and ask but proving it is the problem. Can’t see how another car flicking a stone up means wysiwyg was driving too fast.

muggomagic

Quoting from the Autoglass ad.

If your motor insurance covers glass damage, our windscreen chip repair could be carried out FREE of charge – and won’t normally affect your no claims bonus.

If they won’t or it can’t be repaired then I’m sure if you had this conversation with your insurers they would be happy to look in to it for you as they won’t want to pay out either.
    If you go down that route then you should probably get some pictures of the muddy road etc beforehand.

matt_outandabout

That is life, unfortunately.
    Ours cost £50 excess to replace screen, no charge for chips, and it does NOT affect your premium next year.

robdob
    Free Member

Pretty much yeah, problem?

Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! B B B B B But IT’S NOT FAIR! 😉

CountZero

If you were going fast enough to get a chipped windscreen on a road that clearly had mud on it, I’d suggest you were going too fast for the conditions.

🙄
    I had a windscreen completely destroyed by a stone thrown up by a van going in the opposite direction on a dark winter night. I was doing sixty, on a road with a sixty limit, in a Chevette. The stone would have been doing at least that, so 120mph. Common sense says he doesn’t have to be doing an excessive speed to have a large stone do significant damage, but you won’t let that get in the way of having a go at someone else’s imagined driving infraction, will you…

funny how you were driving, but its not your fault.

Care to explain how he could have avoided being hit by a stone thrown up by a car coming in the opposite direction?
    I’m really looking forward to seeing how you imagine he might have been able to do it, without actually swerving into the oncoming car, or going off the other side of the road… 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

OP: ‘I’m here to complain that the mud you left on the road contained a stone which was propelled by another vehicle onto my windscreen, causing a chip.’

Farmer Palmer: ‘Prove it’

OP: ‘Er…’

Farmer Palmer: ‘Get orf moi land’

OP: ‘I shall complain vigorously about this on a website for middle aged mountain bikers!’

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stone chipped windscreen caused by mud from tractors..’ is closed to new replies.