Home Forums Bike Forum STOLEN: Yeti ARC, Sheffield, Today

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • STOLEN: Yeti ARC, Sheffield, Today
  • shelf
    Free Member

Sorry to those who are on BikeMagic too…

My Yeti ARC was stolen from just off Mappin Street, between 3:45 and 4:30 this afternoon.

If anyone sees or hears anything pleeeeeease let me know! It’s a fantastic bike and I would rather have it than the insurance money.

Thanks,
    Stu

Picture here:
    http://www.bigalpsrun.eu/yeti

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your bike. Do you need a login to view that picture?

shelf
    Free Member

Thanks. You’re right – not ideal. Have changed it to one that should work.

Ta

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Wheres mappin street? I’m abbeydale road way and I’ll keep a look out.

Stolen from? Shed? Garage?

Just want to make mine more secure If possible.

shelf
    Free Member

Thanks.

Mappin Street is down near the city centre – just off West Street. University area if you know it.

It was chained to a lamp post, in a well lit bike parking area, on a busy pedestrianised street, surrounded by buildings.

Dannyp
    Free Member

Hi there

I have possible information/sighting of your bike today.

Give Steve at Langsett Cycles a call on 01142348191

sheffboy12345
    Free Member

hi, i live near hillsborough and iv seen the bike, a (coloured) lad about 15/16 riding it about. whats it worth for me to belt him and knock him off it lol. hope ya get it back cos it looks a beaut.

thepodge
    Free Member

Seems a bit odd that Sheffboy12345 has registered on the forum just to post that.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled in my area.

Would be handy if we at least had an email to get in touch with you if we do see it.

shelf
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought the site would email me when people replied! Thanks for the info everybody. If anyone does see it or have any information I’m at shelf <at> shelf bikes .co.uk

Cheers

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I hope you get it back, but why anyone would leave a bike like that in public baffles me. Locks mean shit to a bike thief. A pair of bolt cutters is all you need…

shelf
    Free Member

Thanks. And you’re right of course, but if I’m not going to ride it for fear of it being stolen then what’s the point, they may as well have it as I’d hardly use it… That and I don’t like buses.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I hope you get it back, but why anyone would leave a bike like that in public baffles me. Locks mean shit to a bike thief. A pair of bolt cutters is all you need…

I had similar comments when (one of ) my lock(s) was cropped through when my Slopestyle was locked up outside work. Maybe, like me, the OP has just the one bike for work and play. But anyway, out of interest, what chain were you using? Despite now using two substantial locks, I’m increasingly paranoid but have no other means of getting to work/shopping and in fact wouldn’t want it any other way. Bus? . . . no thanks.

shelf
    Free Member

Yep, I have (had) the choice of racing MTB or racing road bike to get me to work. We have some of those metal boxes you can lock bikes in, but not enough for the number of cyclists so normally it’s just the bike park.

The lock was a EBC armoured cable… Yes I know, should’ve been a D Lock! But that was in the bike shed on the road bike. I have put a second one on my christmas list!

Andy

Alternatively you could consider getting one of those massive almax chains or a Kryptonite chain and leave the lock at work so you dont have to lug it around?

Anyways fingers crossed you get it back!

sobriety
    Free Member

As a former student who was in Mappin more or less every day, I walked in rather than take one of my bikes. I’d recommend getting a £50 ‘special’ for locking up there as it’s less likely to be lifted, especially as now they’ve had something nice from there they’ll be looking.

mamadirt
    Free Member

The lock was a EBC armoured cable…

Yep, that’s what mine was too (Abus Steeloflex armoured cable – looks tough but super thin cable inside the outer armour) – fortunately I’d used a Kryptonite New York D-lock as well. I now use a Pragmasis chain – weighs a ton but I just look at it as training 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

i would rather buy and lock up a £50 halfords special if it was all i could afford than take my “proper” bike and leave it locked up out of my sight… 😕

(apologies to OP for stating that in here but the thread has forked partially onto that tack!)

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats shit.Using a cheap bike doesnt help they will still nick that.Sold a flat bared road bike to someone in Bristol while back £100.They had it nicked after about 3weeks and it was locked up.What can you do??????????.Hope you get it back.

shelf
    Free Member

Wow – that’s a hell of a lock! Weighs more than my dog.

You are right, I should probably get a cheapo bike or just run down more often, but I quite often go for a training ride on the way to or from uni so will probably get a bigger lock, or try to get there earlier and use the boxes!

Don’t really have the space at home for another bike either – thinking about it, I’m going to get a microscooter… Perfect solution!

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Bare in mind getting a cheapo bike doesn’t solve the problem. It’s all about how expensive it looks.

sobriety
    Free Member

Bare in mind getting a cheapo bike doesn’t solve the problem.

Gaffer tape is your friend in this situation, I managed to lock up a rockhopper wrapped in gaffer every day for several months at Sheffield station without it being thieved.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m not disputing that a cheap bike is arguably as likely to get nicked as an expensive bike, i’m pointing out that i wouldn’t want to lose my pride and joy so would never take that chance.

sheffboy12345
    Free Member

just to reply as the podge is a div and knows nothing, my uncle informed me about the bike and said it had been seen around here, as he and my cousin are in to downhillin, so when i looked and noticed i had seen the bike, thats the reason i registered an account on here to say i had seen it instead of saying nothing you tool. have you had any more info about it?????

shelf
    Free Member

Cheers sheffboy, I haven’t heard anything more and the Police have said they have no leads so are giving up. Turns out the one the guys at Langsett saw was a different one.

Where was it that your uncle thought he saw it?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bump!

Here’s hoping for a positive outcome.

richardwheel
    Free Member

Great news that you’ve got your Yeti back, it gives me hope that they can be found!

If anyone hears anything about my bike (Giant Anthem X with silver Reba Race forks), stolen 3 days before Christmas, please let me know. Here’s the original thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stolen-sheffield-1

enquiries [at] peak-photos dot co dot uk

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘STOLEN: Yeti ARC, Sheffield, Today’ is closed to new replies.