Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Sticky front deore mech-just lube it up?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

Front mech occasionally won't drop from the outer to the middle or granny.

Not sure what is causing it other than squirt Gt85 into the spring and cables/outers etc.

Cable seems to be slack once released so I know it's not the shifer.

(Using SLX front shifter and Deore front.)

Thanks for any tips.

oldgit
    Free Member

It could be worn and just had it's day. Though I have had the same problem with a Deore until I could only get middle and outer or middle and inner.
    I went to XT on the same bike and all since and not had a problem.
    As it was pointed out to me, people don't think about how hard a front mech works shifting huge ratios.
    Anyway if it;s just started you might be better off getting a nice new working one.

bassspine
    Free Member

deore front mechs are prone to siezing, it seems to be in the pivots. take off the cable , spray with mechanic-in-a-can and work it back and forth for a while and you should feel it free up. (it may be easier to take the mech off to do this

zaskar
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips,

I just took it off and wiped off the grease-maybe it was too thick? but just cleaned it and lubed the pivots and popped it on.

Seems to be working a bit better.

One thing I noticed is that the mech is not moving a huge difference from outer to middle but the middle to granny ring seems like a huge amount.

Will check it after work 2morro so I get the alignment spot on.

Thanks for the advice guys. Aprreciated. 😛

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mine got some fine vegetation jammed in the pivot bit, had to kick it on down shifts on one ride until i got home and gave it a damm good clean and lube

oldgit
    Free Member

I think they're all rivited together so they do wear, but considering the strain they have to put up with going through the range it's not surprising. Is it wobbly at all?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Sticky front deore mech-just lube it up?’ is closed to new replies.