Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Stay 26" or go 27.5"…?
  • andyr
    Free Member

Decisions, decisions….

Decided to change my ’08 Spesh FSR frame to something a bit more gnarr.

Current thinking is get a SC Blur TR frame (26″) with new forks and swap over all the other bits (reverb, XT brakes & shifters, SLX chainset, Hope Pro 2s, etc…) from current bike.

Or, save up a bit more money, get a 5010 frame & some forks, new rims built onto existing hubs and swap the other bits.

Why SC? Because I have succumbed to brainwashing.

What does the internet think? Apart from it should be yellow and 1 x whatever…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Not because it rides better, just because when you want to upgrqade/change wheels/forks you’ll be limited if you stick to 26 I guess.

If you’re happy with the 26″ kit that’s out there right now and will stick to it for the lifetime of the bike then go 26″.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

5010, because you deserve it :-)Both good options but Id say youd see more of chnage going with 5010.

br
    Free Member

What does the internet think? Apart from it should be yellow and 1 x whatever…

Presumably for the price of a 26″ SC frame you could buy a non-SC bike (Canyon, On One or the like, even Spesh) in 27.5?

or are you looking s/h?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think 27.5 rides better for me. More grip and traction. 29 was just to big a boat fro a shorty 5’8″ But were all different. I kept my 26″ and still ride it for winter stuff. But I take the 27.5 for serious riding, no contest.

andylc
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same boat. Spesh 08 Stumpie FSR already upgraded lots of little bits but I can’t see any great performance improvement happening unless it’s a more major change. Don’t care about 27.5 but everything has changed since my bike – through axles, different wheel sizes, tapered headsets, better rear shocks with different sizes that don’t fit on the Spesh, dropper posts, 2X10 or 1X11 rather than triple fronts.

Problem is the only bikes I can see myself getting are the Canyon Spectral or Strive, with the better kit on them so that’s 3-4 grand down the tube…that or YT Industries Capra which looks amazing but nearly a kg heavier than the Spectral for a similar priced end product. Strive is even more expensive but for a little more than the top YT Capra you can get a lighter bike with the adjustable travel, assuming that works well (can’t decide if it’s a gimmick or amazing)
    O and not massively keen on 1X11 setups, I’m sure with the varied riding I do, including plenty of steep climbing I’m going to need more than that range. I don’t go out enough to be super fit!

andyr
    Free Member

I have contemplated another bike (Canyon, YT, Rose, Stumpy Evo, etc) but I don’t want to get another bike where I’m not happy with a shifter/brakes/fork/whatever and want to change it. Everything I’ve got on current bike works how I want it (except the frame/shock – hence wanting to change, the forks I’ll stick on the Mrs’ HT).

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’m sure with the varied riding I do … I’m going to need more than that range.

You’d be surprised, give it a go – life is much simpler without a front mech.

No real reasons not to go 27.5 other than having a stack of 26 tyres in the shed. Rides very similarly to 26, arguably slightly grippier/smoother and a better choice of tyres and as has been mentioned you’re not going to be limited to whats is left of 26in stock further down the line.

iainc

if your thinking Solo have a look at the new Norco Sight 7.0 ….

chestrockwell

You’d be surprised, give it a go – life is much simpler without a front mech.

I think I ride similar stuff to the OP and 1×11 is not enough for me. Can’t say I find a front mech set up any kind of chore either.

I’d go for the Solo simply because you sound like you want to. If you get the other I bet you’ll always wish you got the Solo.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Get the bike that you want and ignore the wheel size thing – if it is a 650b, then so be it.

I’ve been a big naysyaer of the 650b size, but have just taken the plunge because the frame I wanted was 650b. It hasn’t been too expensive to upgrade because I took advantage of the Christmas sales.

Painey
    Free Member

Friend of mine used to have an Intense Carbine and after it got nicked he got a new one with 27.5″ wheels. Said he couldn’t feel any difference at all and when put next to my 26″ full suss there was next to no obvious difference between the wheels, although I do run large volume tyres.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Friend of mine used to have an Intense Carbine and after it got nicked he got a new one with 27.5″ wheels. Said he couldn’t feel any difference at all and when put next to my 26″ full suss there was next to no obvious difference between the wheels, although I do run large volume tyres.

Having just got a 650b wheelset, I was surprised at how they do feel noticeably bigger to look at / hold. I’ve currently got quite skinny tyres on them due to a tyre purchase balls up and compared to my 26 inch wheels with Hans Dampf / Magic Mary’s on them there isn’t that much difference.

pymwymis
    Free Member

My Liteville 301 is for sale. Then you have the option !

smatkins1
    Free Member

The Blur TR will give you the best thrills for your £££! TRc and TR frames often pop up second hand for very good prices.

For a cheap way of livening up your riding experience this seems like a good move…

…but I would be reluctant to make any major 26″ purchases. My Blur won’t be getting any new wheels or forks in its lifetime with me. As a better investment long term and If you can afford it I’d go with the 5010.

mtbel
    Free Member

every 650b bike I’ve ridden so far has felt horrible.

how many have you ridden?

No idea what the internet thinks. I’ll wait until you’ve answered my question before making a firm decision regarding my “thoughts” 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Even my mate with a Bronson Carbon doesn’t think the 650b bit of it, is what makes it a good bike per se – but I’ve taken the stance that unless 26 makes some great comeback in the next year or so I’ll be going 650b next time around simply because that’s where innovation is going.

I don’t believe anyone anywhere is doing any R&D on a new 26″ Frame, Fork or Rim – 2013/4 really does mark the end of development for that wheel size so in the same way that very early 650b and 29er stuff was bad because they simply took a 26 design and made it bigger – new 26 stuff will simply be 650b stuff made smaller – sometimes that doesn’t matter, some times it does.

SOAP
    Free Member

My 26″ blur tr with big tyres. 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be buying any new 26″ gear unless I was planning to use it for a long time/until it breaks.

If you are planning on spending decent money, go 650b. If you are happy with 2nd hand stuff and like a bargain 26″

Much more to do with price, resale value and development that any increase in performance of wheelsize (sod all for the majority)

theocb
    Free Member

Alltricks were banging out Blur TR’s for mucho cheapness..well kinda :0(

So if budget is key, you’re looking to ride for a while and get your moneys worth then that might work for you.

Not much difference between the 2 frames you mention. You could always get a nice 650b 130mm Fork for the TR to cover both bases :0)

Resale value will hardly be effected whatever you do (if buying the TR on sale.). Buying a 5010 frame at £1800 you are going to lose big when you sell it on anyway.

br
    Free Member

If you are planning on spending decent money, go 650b. If you are happy with 2nd hand stuff and like a bargain 26″

This.

Got a Crest rimmed Hope evo wheelset with new(ish) folding High Rollers for £130 last week – new bearings too.

coogan
    Free Member

I went 650b last year as I figured it’d be daft to stay with 26 as nobody is really sticking with them and didn’t want to buy 26 gear that would be worth fack all pretty soon. I know a lot of folk have issues with it being forced on them (understandable), but I was in a position where I needed to replace pretty much everything anyway, so did. Love the bike, have no regrets.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d get a Banshee Spitfire and swap all your current parts across. When existing parts wear out or you fancy some upgrades you can go to 27.5 – you can change the dropouts and adjust the geometry so you can keep the BB height in the right range. You can even run a lot of 27.5 tyres with the 26 dropouts but the 27.5 ones give more clearance. The KS-link suspension pedals as well as VPP but is better with really rough trails or big hits. Geometry is longer and slacker than equivalent Santa Cruz bikes.

JCL
    Free Member

I would stay with 26″ and when 650b is dead in two years you’ll look like a genius.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Just rebuilding my Blur Ltc with 26″ inch wheels and feeling very niche

Liking it, now it goes nicely with my Krampus.

All I need now is a Brompton kitted out with some Boxxers and my journey to obscurity will be complete…

molgrips
    Free Member

So shall I not bother to sell 26″ tyres then? Even good/rare ones?

andylc
    Free Member

Like the look of that Norco Sight mentioned earlier…!

matther01
    Free Member

Some of the new full build Norco Sights have a discount at Evans (though not available yet). Think you can buy them frame only but not sure where in the UK.

andylc
    Free Member

Well then. That’s decided on my next bike!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Thought I’d report back having riden by 650b for the first time at the weekend.

My Switchback has replaced a Slackline which I loved but it was too small for proper riding so it’s not an entirely fair comparison.

The Switchback feel faster on the flats and on climbs but I don’t know how much of this is because the wheels and tyres are lighter than the ones on the Slackline (around 450g) or that the bike actually fits me. It feels good decending but is a bit less playful than the Slackline but I think this may be because it’s longer and slacker.

Overall, I’m really happy but if you have a 26 inch bike you like, I woudn’t rush to jump on the bandwagon. I personally can’t feel a difference that I can pin on wheel size only.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Stay 26" or go 27.5"…?’ is closed to new replies.