• This topic has 170 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Starting running – any tips?
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Are running threads the new ‘What Tyres?’ threads?

Aparantly if Conti have their way, we’ll soon be making ‘What Tyres for Running’ threads 🙄

TERREX X-KING SHOES
    Mountain-bike-inspired “tyres for your feet” directly moulded to upper for added stability; Moulded toe and heel caps; Continental™ Rubber for extraordinary grip

whitestone
    Free Member

@surfer Zatopek was doing his training from a pretty high base so he didn’t really need to put in huge amounts of “fluff” kilometres as he’d already done that. His training was aimed at going from 95% to 100% for which he needed speed work.

I’d a 10K fell run that I’d do from the house, there was roughly 400m of ascent in it. I’d got relatively unfit due to an injury so my times were in the 64min range. I began doing hill reps on the BW that runs past the house, just once a week. A couple of Km warm-up jog then as many reps of 300m on a 20% incline as I could manage then 1Km warm down.

After a couple of months my times had dropped to 60mins. Over the next month my time dropped to 58mins. Then one day I did 51mins! By the end of the summer my time was down to 49mins with a “slow time” of 50mins.

So, yes, intervals do work but you should do them for specific points not as a general workout.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve just stood on one leg, my knee ankle and foot moved around quite a bit, but I don’t think I “engaged” my core at all.

Then your core strength isn’t as it should be? I mentioned this as I have direct experience and my physio (who is a pilates instructor) identified my lack of balance as being a contributory factor in my getting an injury whilst training for the London Marathon this year. And the way to help avoid getting such injuries is improving core strength (which I knew and had been doing but originally with advice from a gym instructor rather than from someone who focuses on the core via something like pilates or yoga does). I pretty much did the same exercises with the pilates-based instruction as the ‘common or garden’ gym instructor and my core improved and, along with that, my overall stability.

Anecdotal and I am sure many others will have different opinions/experiences but that is my experience – that lack of balance is a symptom of poor core strength and poor core strength contributes to the risk of injury.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Someone with good core strength can stand on one leg and remain perfectly still.

Surely anyone with a half-decent sense of balance can do that. I can and I’ve rarely paid any attention to core strength.

Standing on one leg with eyes closed is trickier but still manageable after a bit of practice.

VanHalen

i ought to run again. i got to 5k at a decent pace (i thought) quite easily.

its just so, so , so sodding boring.

just go run. the first run will hurt like mad, the ones after ( if you do every 4 days or so) will be fine (well i say fine – it`ll still get you puffing like a 40 a day smoker walking up stairs, but the aftermath wont hurt so much). regularity is key to less pain and a decent progression

fancy shoes are ok i guess but just run wot you brung to start.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I let my thoughts drift when I’m running and find it very relaxing – meditative, almost. Sometimes listen to podcasts but as often as not end up not paying attention to them anyway.

fergal
    Free Member

Well it’s boring if you run on roads. Out in the hills on a nice bit of trail, expansive views, it still has the same aesthetics as riding singletrack all very rewarding.

johndoh
    Free Member

Surely anyone with a half-decent sense of balance can do that.

But core strength helps with balance. They are interconnected. You can *IMPROVE* balance by having a stronger core.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/balance-your-way-to-stronger-body#1

Digby

Whilst ‘core strength’ in and of itself is clearly a *good* thing the ability to balance on one leg without wobble is more down to the stability of the knee joint – this can be enhanced with the use of balance/wobble boards and is frequently used in the rehab of knee injury.

Is even that true? Ankle/foot comes into it as well

Yep – google ‘ACL/MCL knee injury proprioception wobble board’

Of course the ankle/foot comes into it … and so does the core – the human body is a ‘system of systems’

Stabilisation of the knee involves (but not exclusively) the hips, hamstrings, quadriceps, gluteus maximus and calves. If you do a one legged knee dip, these are the muscles used. Clearly if you have an ankle injury then the focus will be lower down the limb. Wobble/Balance boards often form part of physio recommended exercise for injury rehab for everything from the hip to the knee, to the ankle.

The yoga pose ‘vrikshasana’ or ‘tree pose’ engages these and more including the core abdomen muscles as your ‘other leg’ is placed ‘off-balance’

nickc

That would be walking…

😀 moving quickly, then.

lunge

Well it’s boring if you run on roads.

I really don’t get this at all. I’m too busy blowing out of my derriere to be bored, if you’re bored you’re not going hard enough!

But seriously, running is no better or worse than cycling, it’s just different.

The biggest difference for me is that it’s constant effort. On my MTB I stop, look at a section/the view/wait for my mates. On the road bike you stop less but can still coast downhill/to junctions/to the cafe. On a run you just don’t stop, downhill, uphill, flat, all effort. I’ve grown to very much enjoy it.

surfer
    Free Member

So, yes, intervals do work but you should do them for specific points not as a general workout.

Well Zatopek died a few years ago so we cant ask him but given his intervals where seldom longer than about 400m and he went on to win the 5000m, 10000m and the Marathon in the same games (he had never run a marathon before!) then I think his intensive high volume interval training did the trick.

Zatopek was doing his training from a pretty high base so he didn’t really need to put in huge amounts of “fluff” kilometres as he’d already done that.

What do you mean “from a high base”? Zatopek did almost nothing other than intervals. After reading some books on him years ago I tried to find evidence of him training in the more “traditional” way with longer runs etc and I couldnt find it. Non interval training has value but really it is for “active” recovery and doesnt “add” in the same way that interval training does. People incorporate faster efforts into longer runs which is good and there are ways of introducing “intervals” within longer runs which are effective but it is the “interval” that adds the fitness.

he needed speed work

What do you mean by “speedwork” Zatopek ran his intervals close to race pace so for example 65sec ish, Thats not “speed” thats race pace.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think his intensive high volume interval training did the trick.

I think some other factors were in play, like say genetics.

whitestone
    Free Member

High base as in being fit (for the effort being undertaken) rather than having done SFA for years.

So how many others have trained in the way that Zatopek did or is/was he an outlier? Paul Radcliffe? Other modern marathon runners? What’s Mo Farah’s training regimen? Not being argumentative, just don’t know.

There’s been research done recently that seems to indicate that it’s training to exhaustion (muscle exhaustion) is what causes improvement. So you could do 20 x 100m intervals or 10 x 200m or 5 x 400m, etc(at the right intensity) and get the same effect. The research was done on weightlifting (not bodybuilding BTW) but it’s all muscle stress and adaptation.

Once you get to a certain level of fitness with regards to distance then there isn’t much point in doing big distances, your body’s adapted so you can just keep ticking over. When you get in to long distance (in these terms a marathon is short!) then it’s more about looking after yourself and ensuring you remain hydrated and eat properly. After 18hrs on the go your taste buds change.

surfer
    Free Member

I think some other factors were in play, like say genetics.

It goes without saying that he chose his parents well…

surfer
    Free Member

So how many others have trained in the way that Zatopek did or is/was he an outlier? Paul Radcliffe? Other modern marathon runners? What’s Mo Farah’s training regimen?

All “good” athletes use some form of Interval training. I dont know the detail of Radcliffes training but it was very high intensity and I know she never ran slow! I once passed her when she was at uni on a morning training run. She must have been close to 5 min miling! She also did a lot of volume but again all of it was quite fast. A lot of her training was done between 10k and HM race pace.
    The main point is that you have to spend time at close to, or even faster than your goal race pace. If you want to run 15 mins for 5k dont waste your time training at 6 min miling unless it is to warm up/down or for recovery.

nickc

you want to run 15 mins for 5k dont waste your time training at 6 min miling unless it is to warm up/down or for recovery.

always useful advice on a “How to start running thread” 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m not saying that they don’t use interval training, I’m asking whether interval training is the only type of training that they do.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m asking whether interval training is the only type of training that they do.

No, Zatopek was slightly unusual in that ALL he did was interval training. Other runners during the 50’s/60’s also did very high interval volumes and the evidence is strong that it is the most effective way to improve performance but most runners mix their training more. Based on similar concepts but most runners do more “multi” paced training such as “fartlek” which is just running fast and slow during a constant run or increasing the pace gradually during a run etc.
    Seb coe for example did multi paced training based around 5 “speeds” just more sophisticated interval training.

whitestone
    Free Member

So the next question (we’ll omit Zatopek from the answer since we know how he trained) is: Did Radcliffe, Coe, Ovett, etc. only ever do interval training or did they develop a reasonable base before they transitioned to mostly interval training?

thecaptain
    Free Member

surfer, just about all serious distance runners do a substantial volume of easy running. A decent proportion of faster/interval training too of course, but certainly this is much less than half the total.

Of course easy running for someone like radcliffe is still pretty fast compared to most mortals. But it’s easy for her.

surfer
    Free Member

substantial volume of easy running

Of course easy running for someone like radcliffe is still pretty fast compared to most mortals. But it’s easy for her.

The term is relative and most top class runners would stay close to specific thresholds when training. Other than jogging to warm up and down for example Farah would not do any “easy” running. He may run well within his ability but it needs to bear some resemblance to what he is trying to achieve. For example his long run would be say 60 secs per mile slower than his Marathon goal pace (which may be around 2:07) so easy for him might be around 5:45 for 20 miles plus.

For mere mortals similar rules apply (assuming your goal is to improve performance) so Sunday 15 mile runs should not be done at jogging pace. They should be related to what you are trying to achieve. So often I see club mates jog their Sunday runs then wonder why they underperform when they try to run 2:45 for a Marathon when their Sunday morning 15 mile runs are at 8:30 pace.

whitestone
    Free Member

But you aren’t answering the question! You are looking at what the top athletes are doing now which isn’t what’s being asked.

When they first started out did they “just go for a run”? It may have varied in pace but it’s unlikely to have been “intervals” or even fartlek.

Intervals place a lot of stress on the body, it’s why they are effective in training, but the body also needs to be able to handle that stress. Even with a decade of club running and racing I developed ITBS when I increased the intensity of my training sessions. If you are just starting out then “just going for a run” is all that’s needed. Running/jogging until you are out of breath then walking a bit is effectively intervals but you shouldn’t be heading out with intervals in mind.

surfer
    Free Member

But you aren’t answering the question!

You seem to be under the impression that I am obligated to!

You are looking at what the top athletes are doing now which isn’t what’s being asked.

My latter ramblings arent in response to the OP but to another post above.

Do you mean this?

Did Radcliffe, Coe, Ovett, etc. only ever do interval training or did they develop a reasonable base before they transitioned to mostly interval training?

I dont know you would have to ask them but I suspect they incorporated them very early on. I know I did. In fact as a junior almost all of my training was interval based, run hard, jog, run hard, etc. You adjust to the stress by starting them at a pace you can handle with a recovery that works. If you are breaking down they are too hard but they are not something that only work for elite athletes they just need to be appropriate.

thecaptain
    Free Member

surfer, doing your general aerobic running at 60 seconds/mile below marathon pace is not spending a lot of time running fast neither is it between 10k and HM race pace!

I agree that some sessions of harder running is normal and appropriate. In my case, about 2 runs per week have faster intervals (based on the Jack Daniels book and plan if you’re interested). That leaves up to 5 days of steady running at 60s/mile below race pace, though I don’t really run 7 days a week. All the major sources talk about doing the bulk of miles at 60-90 secs (e.g. Daniels) or 10-20% (e.g. P&D) slower than marathon pace which is itself significantly slower than a half marathon pace.

I note you seem to have changed your tune from Radcliffe 5 min miling to Mo running 5:45. These are very different levels of effort and the latter would be much more common than the former, is my point.

surfer
    Free Member

I note you seem to have changed your tune from Radcliffe 5 min miling to Mo running 5:45

One was an estimate of what Radcliffe looked like she was running when I passed her. She could have been on a short run or be running a fast section or be near the end of her run. The 5:45 was for a 20+ mile run for Farah. You seem to be trying to conflate the 2. Why? What has one got to do with the other?

doing your general aerobic running at 60 seconds/mile below marathon pace is not spending a lot of time running fast neither is it between 10k and HM race pace!

I didnt say this, again you are taking different examples and combining them. The 60 secs per mile was Farah doing his long runs and in relation to his Marathon pace. This is not related to 10k/HM pace. That was in reference to Radcliffe. Different athletes run at different paces you know.

These are very different levels of effort and the latter would be much more common than the former, is my point.

Of course they are, what is your point?

thecaptain
    Free Member

My point is that you seemed to be saying that serious runners spent a lot of time running hard (specifically, at paces between 10k and half marathon pace), which is only true if by “a lot of time” you mean a small proportion of their time.

For example, the first one of your comments that attracted my attention:

Most distance runners include longer runs at threshold pace as well as hill repeats etc but whether that is simply because intervals every day is hard work and boring!

And then you said that Radcliffe never ran slow and did all her training at high intensity.

This all seems highly misleading if you actually accept that almost all distance runners run a large majority of their miles at least 60-90s/mile slower than threshold! It’s true that MP+60s is not a casual jog but it’s an easily sustainable pace that a serious runner could do for an hour or two every day, even twice a day. It’s not hard running by any stretch of the imagination. It’s what you do on the non-hard days. And it’s not just to fill the time either, it’s an important part of the training.

surfer
    Free Member

(specifically, at paces between 10k and half marathon pace),

I didnt. Many runners train for much shorter distances, 1500 etc. Their training would be different. I refered to 10k/HM pace specifically to Radcliffe who may train at that pace during certain sessions. Others may be close to 5k pace etc. Pace varies for athletes depending on the session, time of year and goals.

And then you said that Radcliffe never ran slow and did all her training at high intensity

Yes and thats true, why are you indicating that this is at odds with something else I have said. Radcliffe always ran at a high intensity so much so that she struggled to find even elite men to run with.

My point is that you seemed to be saying that serious runners spent a lot of time running hard

I dont think I used the word “hard” but serious runners cant afford to waste effort. Running to slowly (pace which offers no “training” effect) has an opportunity cost. What I said was that training has to bear relation to an athletes goal and has to be specific. For example you would never catch Farah doing a 10 mile training run at 7 min miling. Why would he, he can only tire himself out for his next “proper” session, trip over and hurt himself etc. It is a waste.

This all seems highly misleading if you actually accept that almost all distance runners run a large majority of their miles at least 60-90s/mile slower than threshold!

Which I dont. If you accept Farah runs his longest session at around 60 secs slower per mile than his Marathon race pace why would he run his shorter run slower?

Also what do you mean by “threshold”

molgrips
    Free Member

Running to slowly (pace which offers no “training” effect)

But cyclists do long slow riding, it’s called base training. Do runners not do this?

surfer
    Free Member

But cyclists do long slow riding, it’s called base training. Do runners not do this?

Some runners do and good luck to them but the training effect is small. Plus riding “tends” to be less injurious so there is less risk.

thecaptain
    Free Member

What I mean by threshold was the lactate threshold pace generally taken to be about 1h race pace i.e. between 10k and HM. Since you used both the term and the speed range I assume you were using it in the same way.

I’m not sure if you disagree with anything I’ve said. Maybe Radcliffe is a bit of an outlier in how she trained but the vast majority of running for distance runners is at a fairly comfortable (for them) pace. Yes, 7 min miling for Mo would probably be too slow, being roughly 40% over his marathon pace. If we are merely disagreeing over my interpretation of what you seemed to be saying then, whatever.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbdspttpIpw[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Rfn5TsT9Y[/video]

v8ninety

I’ve been ‘couch to 5k’ing for 19 sessions now. It still bloody hurts! Ankles, shins and calves mainly, crampy, achey pain that increases in intensity during the run, but is 90% better by the next day, do not injury as such. I’m determined to keep going, but I’m increasingly wondering if I’m just not cut out for running. It’s not been horrendous heart n lungs wise, mainly legs.

Should I give up, or will it get better?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Join a running club, club nights are a brilliant motivator to keep at it and get out the door on a winters night.

Go get a gait analysis and the right shoes.

Stick at it, a few years and it becomes a habit. I love that if I don’t end up with enough time to ride I can throw my shoes on and grab some decent exercise.

On from above, when it’s proper wet and freezing in the winter a 30/45 min run is so much easier than a 2hr ride.

oikeith

I agree with getting a gait analysis, I would also ask what stretching/foam rolling you are doing post running but also on non running days.

v8ninety

I have NO idea about stretching, although I do try to stretch the painful bits for 10-15secs per painful muscle. Wouldn’t know what to do with a foam roller tbh.

Have had gait analysis done and the verdict is that I over pronate quite pronouncedly. Hence I have some comfy new Brooks adrenalines, which may have helped a bit, but still pain pain pain if I run (at any pace; let alone a reasonable pace) for more than 10 minutes. It’s frustrating tbh.

MSP

You could try some hoka or altra shoes, they have a few more mm of cushioning than standard shoes, while keeping a fairly low heel to toe drop. Having heard good things about lowering the niggling joint pains after runs, I have gone for some hokas, seem good so far.

Also don’t worry about slowing it down while you adapt, you may be trying to push too hard as you already have aerobic fitness, but need joints and muscles to adapt as well.

v8ninety

Well, after all that, a really enjoyable 20th run. Still a little sore, but one of my best so far 😀

scotroutes

molgrips – Member

Running to slowly (pace which offers no “training” effect)

But cyclists do long slow riding, it’s called base training. Do runners not do this?[/quote]Some of us just run for fun too.

Rockape63
    Free Member

This thread sort of inspired me to do a few runs after giving up due to knee pain a couple of years ago. One 3.4 m run every Monday and starting to try on the last two, ( now done six) my time has come down every week now to 28mins, and the knee with the help of a support feels okay. 56 and still fighting! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Starting running – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.