Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Stanton Sherpa. Any good?
  • silverpigeon
    Free Member

Was about to hit the buy button on Cotic Solaris and then came across this. Who’s riding one? Is there anything not to like?

Will be used mainly for trail/XC stuff

Bregante

Loads of threads about them on here if you do a search

There’s a 19″ for sale in the classifieds.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Did a search. Just wanted a bit more than opinions on what tyres are best. Got pics of the one in the classifieds. Looks pretty….

poey50
    Free Member

I love mine! The green is brilliant. 😀

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Cheers Poey.What size are you on. How tall are you etc?

icarus
    Free Member

I have one and I love it,perfect trail/xc bike,just a great ride.I’m 6ft.and ride a 19″ frame

poey50
    Free Member

Cheers Poey.What size are you on. How tall are you etc?

i’m 6 feet five inches, 36 inside leg and I ride a 21′ frame with 120 mm travel forks. Works for me!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Think I’m going to do it. Now to decide 29 or 27.5 wheels.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got a friend who runs his with 650b wheels and tyres. He prefers it to running it with 29ers.

I’ve had a very quick spin on it and it rides really well. I was surprised at how fast it is…if we stop pedalling at the same time it just seems to gain speed and us off.

I bank they’re really good looking too, but I’m a self confessed Stanton fan boy.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Done it! First new MTB frame for nearly 10 years! 19″ in Emerald green. 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Good stuff. The green is lovely in the flesh.

The Ti version is very pretty too.

letmetalktomark

Good decision.

I love mine.

I’ve tried mine with 650b+ but with a Hugo rim and Trailblazer there was enough, imho, room to comfortably run the set up.

40mm rim would be fine.

I run 100mm forks and 29″ wheels and it rides like a big bmx 🙂

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Can’t wait to start building this up . Was looking at the Solaris but this seems ticks all the boxes and was cheaper. I set out looking to build a 27.5 bike but am leaning towards 29 inch now. Things have changed a bit since I last bought a MTB. What’s all this dropper seatpost nonsense?

nickwatson
    Free Member

Excellent choice, welcome to the club. There is a Stanton Facebook group, for inspiration, if you do that sort of thing.

Nick

letmetalktomark

A trio of crappy pics:

silverpigeon
    Free Member

teadrinker
    Free Member

Awesome bike, love mine. I went with the grey because everyone else had the green.

letmetalktomark

teadrinker – Member
    Awesome bike, love mine. I went with the grey because everyone else had the green.

Weirdo 😉

alexh
    Free Member

Cough, seat post dropping, cough oval steatpost.

Bad batch about as both my friends went back to Stanton

letmetalktomark

Interesting …. The only sour bit with mine is the slipping post despite all the tricks.

That said mine was one of the first out of the door **waves willy** so maybe unrelated i there were batch issues.

Cowman

Im 6’2″ and have a 21 inch one. Fits well with a very short stem and wide bars.

The short stays do mean its quick off the mark and the sizing works well for getting the power down and through the rear wheel, no matter how steep the climb. I would say this is an unsung trait of the frame, it climbs very well, lots rightly say its fast, and will accelerate away when allowed to. The slack head on the 29er makes for a very confident high speed ride.

I find the stand over just on my tolerence with the 21″, and an uppy downy post is essential for me to throw the bike around and get it off the ground, which took some time to getting used to. This is my compromise though I feel to have a very comfortable bike on long days out.

letmetalktomark

@Cowman – are you running 100mm or 120mm forks?

I’ve sacrificed standover room for TT length and I’m still running a 90mm stem, 761bars on a 21” above ^^^

Cowman

120mm forks, with a slightly generous sag.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

So, forks and wheels. I really need some help here. When I built up my last bike, 29ers were for weirdos,650b were for tri bikes and 75mm was all the travel you needed up front. I haven’t really been keeping myself up to date with the trends.

What do people recommend? I read somewhere that 27.5s are the future.

survivor

@teadrinker….

that grey one looks nice. I love my green goddess but if I kill it I’d replace with grey now I know what it looks like. ..

nwill1
    Free Member

Great choice of bike…great colour!! I’ve only heard of one example of issue with seatpost and thought it was Switchback issues not Sherpa!?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Doesn’t it only affect the use of droppers because the clamp isn’t torqued up as much?

I thought it was only the Switchback’s too and due to some dodgy Reynolds tubing.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Here’s my first one(regretted selling it)

And the replacement

teadrinker
    Free Member

Cheers survivor, i was a little nervous getting the grey but once i opened it i was so happy with it. The finish on these frames are stunning.

I’m glad i didn’t get the green in the end not with all this seatpost slipping talk eh Mark 😉

adsh
    Free Member

They do look lovely. What is the mud clearance like with a 2.25?

irishdave
    Free Member

It depends on the brand. I have a Purgatory 2.2 which is good, but with a Michelin Wild RaceR 2.25 it’s fine fine but gently dusts the paint off when the wheel flexes if you get a bit side ways. If you use something like a 2.2 X king or Mountain king then would be no problem.
    I’ve had mine about 18 months now and love it. I use it as a non genre specific bike. i.e. last year I raced xc on it, did the Dyfi enduro and a couple of other welsh marathons on it, Penmachno round of Welsh enduro and the Tour de Ben Nevis. It handled them all brilliantly, I was the limiting factor.
    Started out with 100mm rebas but opened them out to 120 and it felt better.
    Weighs about 27.5 with dropper, pedals and bottle cage.

Things I’d change would be more clearance at chainstays, second bottle cage mount and lower top tube so brake levers don’t hit the top tube when i crash.

I don’t intend to get rid of it. unless of course somebody gave me the Ti version..

ade9933
    Free Member

why not 27.5+ ?

irishdave
    Free Member

i like 29.

roudsey
    Free Member

My sherpa fits x king 2.4 s fine, had the seatpost overream issue, fixed it by using 27.2 seatpost and carefully adjusting a fat shim, advantage is a bit more flex out of the post, which I believe genesis bikes also do.would definitely need a coke can shim for a dropper though. Stanton should really have issued a shim for all those overreamed frames. Wouldn’t part with the bike though!

roudsey
    Free Member

My sherpa fits x king 2.4 s fine, had the seatpost overream issue, fixed it by using 27.2 seatpost and carefully adjusting a fat shim, advantage is a bit more flex out of the post, which I believe genesis bikes also do.would definitely need a coke can shim for a dropper though. Stanton should really have issued a shim for all those overreamed frames. Wouldn’t part with the bike though!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Yep! Mine went back to the shop (who remain in denial).

Still looking….

ratherbeintobago

The short stays do mean its quick off the mark and the sizing works well for getting the power down and through the rear wheel, no matter how steep the climb. I would say this is an unsung trait of the frame, it climbs very well, lots rightly say its fast, and will accelerate away when allowed to. The slack head on the 29er makes for a very confident high speed ride.

How do short stays affect acceleration in any way?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Sherpa. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.