Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stans ZTR 355….How tough?
  • nukeproof
    Free Member

Needing a new 20mm front wheel as I’ve got some Pikes on order for my hardtail. Just looking at the Hope Hoops at Wheelpro and they’ll be doing Pro IIs on 355 or Flow. Now from the look of it Arch rims would be perfect compromise between the 355 and the Flow but they are not doing those as Hope Hoops but a custom front wheel build would be £158 at JRA…over £50 more than Wheelpro Hope Hoops.

Flow seem overkill for my riding (Surrey Hills) so how tough are 355s for the front? Currently running a Mavic 317 with Revs and thats been fine. The 355s are 19mm internally which is the same as the Mavic 719 on the back. Also had a set of 355 29ers and they seemed very good.

uplink
    Free Member

I reckon 355s are tougher than Mavic 317s

aviemoron
    Free Member

I have been using the 29er 355’s for nearly two years now on rocky terrain (Cairngorms area) and had no problems so far.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I reckon 355s are tougher than Mavic 317s

Yep, reckon you’re right

I have been using the 29er 355’s for nearly two years now on rocky terrain (Cairngorms area) and had no problems so far.

Yeah, found the same when I had a set.

I’m sure a 355 would be fine, just seems a bit lightweight when matched up with Pikes and 2.35 Highroller

cynic-al
    Free Member

My olympics have held up as well as 717s

nukeproof
    Free Member

Still can’t decide…anymore opinions?

355s as tough as Mavic 719s or should I be looking at the Arch rims?

Forks have arrived now and I’m itching to put them on but don’t have a compatible front wheel 🙁

nodrog2
    Free Member

355’s and flow both seem to be tough enough, my only concern with them would be that they don’t have eyelets. Having said that, i haven’t actually seen one of these rims crack yet.

SigmaF
    Free Member

Got 2 sets of 355 on Pro II’s

One set I’ve been beating on my hardtail with Pikes on the front….the other set I’ve been beating on my Meta with 20mm and Rr botl-thru….

So far, no issues at all…..infact, not even a pinch flat on the HT, running low pressures in the peaks with Crossmarks on the back….!!

No issues either running a 2.5 tyre on them!!

Plan to use them for the Mega too!! as the tubeless conv strip seems to hold up really well!!

convert

Just got some Flow rimmed Hope hoops. I wouldn’t worry about them being “too much” unless you plan on racing them and every gram counts or you want to put really skinny tyres on the bike and having built it with Pikes i can’t imagine you plan on doing that. They really do seem quite light, just a tad wider than average.

convert

Just got some Flow rimmed Hope hoops. I wouldn’t worry about them being “too much” unless you plan on racing them and every gram counts or you want to put really skinny tyres on the bike and having built it with Pikes i can’t imagine you plan on doing that. They really do seem quite light, just a tad wider than average.

GW
    Free Member

I fail to see the logic in sticking a sub 400g rim on 😕 20mm axle fork?

a nice burly fork with a weak flexy rim? why not just admit your completely jey and use Rebas?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can see the logic.

The rims need not be that flexy if well built, they will make the bike feel light (moreso than using non 20mm forks) and the stiffness of the pike will be nice too.

Clink

Some Rebas come with a 20mm Maxle…..

richc
    Free Member

You used the 355 rim then GW? if not how do you know its flexy?

STATO
    Free Member

a weak flexy rim?

Thats the point tho, they arnt weak or flexy. If your not bothered about weight then why not use some 6+ lb marzocchi DJ forks :0)

Black
    Free Member

Does anywhere have any 29er 355s in stock though?

willsimmons
    Free Member

I like Stans rims personally but they are not for everyone. I have had 355s and Olympics. I like the fact you can save a load of weight without the need for rimstrips etc for UST.

The downside in my experience is that they don’t take too kindly to truing or rebuilding. As a consequence of the lack of eyelets building requires relatively low spoke tension, which can make it more difficult than say a Mavic to get it completely ‘straight’ from new. Also if you have to true it up in the future then you can write the rim off for transferring to a new hub. The rims seem to get permanently ‘warped’, so rebuilding onto a new hub with new spokes and the requisite low spoke tension just doesn’t work. This may not be an issue with the heavier duty rims they produce but has certaily happened with a couple of the Stans rims I have had. Also I once ran over a coke can that was in some fallen leaves, the can managed to mangle the rim – the rims are pretty ‘soft’ in comparison to a Mavic. I’ve had a pinch puncture completely write off a rim which has never happened with a Mavic.

SigmaF
    Free Member

…..hmmm, maybe that’s more of an Olympic rim issue perhaps….

..the 355 profile is probably not too far off the Mavic 819, width wise (without getting all factoid and looking at cross-section diagrams)…..admittedly, does have a shallower sidewall but the bench depth and thus area is fairly large for the rim size….

They still seem to running super true…..which has impressed….but, I’m yet to take spoke key to them and discover tension issues…

The rims do build into a fairly stiff wheel and certainly don’t flex and compromise when running a Pike……infact, I’d go as far as to say that on the H/T the front certainly feels stiffer than the EX1750 it replaced…

Why not run a Reba and admit I’m jey? Well, when you surpass an intermediate level of mountain cycle adventure capability, nothing less than a 20mm will do!! Let me know if you need any skills clinics to accelerate your skills progression!!

convert

I also forgot to say that the other reason I really like the flow is that the slightly wider profile seems to suit me when it comes to how it makes tyres feel. It makes a bigger 2.25 or a small 2.35 like a High roller come up slightly bigger than it would on say a 717 to the extent that for most its as big as you would need in UK trail conditions. It also makes a 2.4 come up as big as most would need for “non hardcore DH” alpine type riding.

I appreciate others would use smaller/bigger tyre in similar conditions but it looks like its going to work well for me. Not ridden them enough myself yet to judge longevity but so for so good.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’ve got Arches and Flows, the Flows are significantly stiffer side to side. If it’s a 29er, I’d def go for the Flows.

nukeproof
    Free Member

SigmaF – Your original post sounds encouraging and what I wanted to hear…good stuff

Well, in the end I gave Roger at WheelPro a call and went with the Hope ProII on 355. He’s pretty confident of what they are capable of and I’m happy to take his advice given his experience of wheels.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As a consequence of the lack of eyelets building requires relatively low spoke tension

I built mine with enough tension – granted it’s not as easy as it is with eyelets, but it’s not difficult. I was wary of them, having had bad experiences of rims without eyelets, but these have been fine. Not rebuilt them yet though.

willsimmons
    Free Member

My point was more that the rims are designed only to hold relatively low spoke tension:

http://www.notubes.com/support_wheelset.php

In my experience means that when requiring a true up with more spoke tension the rim seems to permanently ‘warp’. This is fine for the wheel it is on as it will be straight again but you then can’t transfer the rim across to another build. I have seen a friend’s rim with cracks around the eyelets but I think that is because he racked the spoke tension up to remove a buckle.

I reiterate that I like the rims but there are perhaps as not as ‘fit and forget’ as a 150 g heavier Mavic.

turnip
    Free Member

I hate building stans as they are bendy warpy noodly pieces of crap, just get a mavic if you dont want to contantly piss around with them.

If built right they are good, shame they take 3 times as long to build right and not many people can be bothered to give them that much care.

Oh and £80 a rim is a joke!

GW
    Free Member

a 355g rim that’s not flexy? **** off!!

richc
    Free Member

so you haven’t used them? what about even held one?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Am i ok to run 2.1s on Stans Flow rims?? I presume so!

nonk
    Free Member

yeah.

trail_rat
    Free Member

certainly not use them has he …..

absolutely fine for me on my SINGLESPEED if anything going to find the flex then its that – and before anyone pipes up SS isnt real biking click my name to see what i do with it 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

trail rat….. your a girl and thats all singlespeeding is good for. being girly. Click my name tschhh 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

in fact, we could win pairs enduro at evrything you know 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

haah except anything the fort william rocket and his mate enter 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

haah except anything the fort william rocket and his mate enter

They sound slow!! Lets give them a headstart

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Stans ZTR 355….How tough?’ is closed to new replies.