Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Stans No tubes – Can't be bothered with the faff?
  • si-wilson
    Free Member

Fitted the yellow tape today, just need to fit some tubes to settle it down and then find some tyres tht will seal.

might keep the wheels after all…

gingerflash

"Am i the only one that thinks Stans is a ball ache"

It's a ballache once, in the warm and dry of your garage/kitchen/living room. It's not a ballache in the pouring rain once or twice every ride fixing yet another pinchflat.

Mine (two bikes) have failed once in 12 months (1/2 inch cut). Just took out the rimstrip and put a tube in.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I've been very impressed with tubeless on my Evil. I am a serial pinchflatter and this reduced my average flats from 2 per ride to none for a year and a half (and counting)

I haven't converted any of my other bikes though as I don't have problems pinching on them (I guess the difference is the terrain / how much the Evil turns me into a hooligan 😀 ) that and thorns seem to be a non-issue here

I hear the comment about changing tyres but if you have a year round tyre solution (as I have) and struggle with flats then tubeless seems to be a nobrainer to me.

also, the faff wears off the more sets you do as there are tricks to seating the bead

si-wilson
    Free Member

Update time

Spent 2 days trying to get maxxis Ardents to seal! I had a little success, 2 layers of yellow tape and the thing inflated after much huff and puff, then realised i forgot the sealant! Popped a bit of sealant in and now the damn thing wont go up! I think i need a compressor….

This tubeless lark should not be this painful!

Anthony
    Free Member

Just screw the valve core out and insert the sealant afterwards using a syringe. I prefer to do it this way as I find it less messy.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Is it me,or is there still a place in the market for a faff free tubless solution……?

Unless you go the full UST tyre and rim route and accept the weight/price peanlty……..

grumm
    Free Member

Huh? Stan's Flow rims are entirely faff free – No drilling or rim strip or soapy water or compressor or anything required.

Once the yellow tape was on, which is no harder than putting on normal rim tape, my non-tubeless Bontrager tyres inflated a treat with a track pump, and have been fine. Didn't even need sealant though I have put some in anyway.

I really don't know how people manage to make it so difficult for themselves.

Farticus

819 with UST has been faultless over 7 years IME.

819 with non-UST tyres has been easy enough but had to cut the tyres off as the latex had dried out and sealed them totally after 2 years.

Now have 2 wheels with Stans. Flow with UST tyre – went up easily, stays up, no problems. Arch with Racing Ralph 29er non-UST & rim strip – err, went up easily, light as you like, no problem.

But … a mate has a set of Hope Hoops with Stans 355 & UST Schwalbe Furious Freds. One just won't inflate – gets to 25 psi and air escapes. Just can't get it working.

IME tubeless is great if you don't want to change tyres frequently, like others have said. Until the recent Furious Fred debacle I'd have blamed user error, but as I have failed to get it to work that can't be right 😉

si-wilson
    Free Member

Success! Used some CO2 and it went up just fine. It may be my track pump is a bit rubbish.

I was a 819/UST user for years and they were trouble free. Now i have my Flows inflated i think they should be fine.

soobalias
    Free Member

cant see the advantage of stans over ghetto.

if i upgrade from ghetto it will be to 819 on current thinking.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    Stans is a ball ache on normal rims and tyres.Bit hit and miss.Am using 819 and ust on my trail bike and tubes with sealant on my race bike(so i can change tyres regulary).Would like to try Stans rims to lighten up the trail bike but past experiences have put me off! UST has been great,reliable,bombproof and easy to fit.Think i'am happy to put up with the extra weight.Now if Mavic could build some lighter UST rims that would be good!
    Tanx Max

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Stans No tubes – Can't be bothered with the faff?’ is closed to new replies.