Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans Alpha 340,harsh ride?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I recently upgraded to these on the roady and think they give a harsh ride compared to my old Mavic Open Pros.
    These are the newer model I believe with the reinforced spoke bed as the early ones kept breaking.
    Currently set up with 32 spokes front and rear on Hope hubs and running my standard 23mm Gatorskins.
    I keep dropping pressure and I still find the ride jarring.
    My next move is to set them up tubeless with a 25mm Hutchinson tubeless tyre.
    What’s everyone’s experience’s with these rims?
    Thanx,
    Max

onandon
    Free Member

I have a Alpha Pro wheelset
    18 radial spokes at the front and 24 in the rear (two-cross/radial with 2:1 drilling)

They ride very well, not harsh at all.

tyres are 25mm pro4’s at around 95ish psi

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’ve got hope’s with stan’s alpha 32 . Not sure about harsh, it’s a road bike after all, maybe a bit heavy. Going to convert to tubeless ASAP.

richpips
    Free Member

I have the old ones and wouldn’t describe them as harsh at all.

A couple of the spoke beds are cracking though. 🙁

maximusmountain
    Free Member

They aren’t harsh on the road, pretty shit off it though!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I thought mine were comfier than my Open Pros (with the same tyres and tubes and pressures)

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Ahh,
    Maybe its just me.Have recently bought a new track pump so maybe my pressures are off! Or maybe I’ve gone soft! Will try tubeless anyhow and am due for some new tyres!
    Thanx,
    Max

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

try some decent wide tyres and some latex tubes

aracer
    Free Member

Wheels have very little compliance compared to tyres – the difference between the stiffest and the flexiest is probably less than the difference a couple of psi in your tyres makes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans Alpha 340,harsh ride?’ is closed to new replies.