Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stake pass – Lakes
  • fergal
    Free Member

I am hoping to ride my last Lakeland pass this week, via Esk hause to seathwaite then over Stake back to the old dungeon ghyll, what do you think is this a good route, opinions, experiences, appreciated.

boxelder

Up stake from borrowdale side is all rideable if you’re strong(er than me).
    Presume Esk House past Styhead tarn. Sounds good.

fergal
    Free Member

so I take it the descent on the Langdale side is good, have seen a pic with lots of switchbacks.

boxelder

Never done it, sorry

wl
    Free Member

Stake Pass up from Langstrath down into Langdale is a great DH – mint. Other was it’s rideable but dull – graded surface, tedious but rideable very tight switchbacks (relatively easy push up tho). Which bit is Esk Hause?

wl
    Free Member

Stake Pass up from Langstrath down into Langdale is a great DH – mint. Other way it’s rideable but dull – graded surface, tedious but rideable very tight switchbacks (relatively easy push up tho). Which bit is Esk Hause?

wl
    Free Member

If you’re pushing up from Langdale then riding down to Seathwaite via Sprinkling and Sty Head Tarns, that’s a great route. There’s also a footpath from Esk down to Seathwaite – I carried my bike up it a fortnight ago. Looked pretty good, but had some tough looking bits and some dangerous exposure in one or two spots.

thekettle
    Free Member

What you’ve planned is a good route, did it this summer. From Esk Hause down to Seathwaite is a good warm-up for the Stake pass finish which is excellent, and possibly the 2nd rockiest Lakeland pass after Rosset Ghyll. Enjoy.

wl
    Free Member

thekettle – has Rosset been sanitised now? I walked up a couple of years ago and they were ‘upgrading’ it. Rode it once, about 4 years before that – keep thinking about a return visit, but not if it’s all man-made now, like Dollywagon.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Yep its a great route fergal ,from Esk hause cairn theres an exellent trail heading towards Styhead but stay on the right hand side of the beck until it crosses over before the Grains gill footpath, its straight forwards from seathwaite farm to Langstrath but stay north of the Langstrath river on a white road on the map, the Bridleway on the Southern side is exellent technical riding but will take you ages, have a good one its a brilliant day out.

(The Bridleway from Rossett gill top is now pitched all the way to Esk Hause summit)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stake pass – Lakes’ is closed to new replies.