• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SSable Reynolds 853 29er frames availability ?
  • noltae
    Free Member

What’s actually out there ? Aside from custom .. Non ebbs prefably – From what I can gather it’s all rather thin on the ground …
    I got told that the SS ‘niche’ was so that typically enthusiasts leapfrog the mid range market and jump straight from entry level Cro Mo to high end. Custom – All new frames should have swap out dropouts and removable cable guides – I hate cable guides when their not housing cable …

oxym0r0n

Pipedream do one – cirrus? Salsa el mariachi not 853 but still not bog standard 4130

haggis1978

Does it have to be 853? What about the Ritchey p-29er? Ritchey Logic tubing, heat treated triple butted. Sliding dropouts. I’ve got one. It’s awesome. 100mm fork though and 1 1/8th.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

el mariachi not 853 but still not bog standard 4130

I’m pretty sure it is, they refer to it as CrMo manufactured by Sanko, not even heat treated according to the label. Seems about right, mines definitely heavier than the Swift it replaced, if it was nicer steel you’d expect it to be lighter.

I’d not get too hung up on wanting 853, if you want something that feels like a traditional steel frame, get a Swift, the EBB’s no trouble and there’s just enough give to remind you it’s steel.

martinh
    Free Member

Niner SIR9

letmetalktomark

Pipedream Skookum is what you be after.

Ticks a lot of the boxes.

Ride wise IMHO its what the Cotic Solaris should have been e.g. a 29” version of the Soul. Forgiving whilst not feeling noodley.

Belt drive compatible too for those extra nice points.

swanny853

Cotic simple?

Clink

Cotic simple?

not available unless 2nd hand

oxym0r0n

Don’t forget the Pace, if you can get hold of one!

noltae
    Free Member

Feels like SSers get a bum deal on frame choice and thus pay through the nose – tons of really nice affordable hardtails of the vertical drop variety 🙁

adsh
    Free Member

Feels like SSers get a bum deal on frame choice and thus pay through the nose – tons of really nice affordable hardtails of the vertical drop variety

And for those of us who will never single speed a lot of otherwise nice 29er frames are compromised with EBBs (Niner Sir 9, Singular etc) or drop outs that add weight, complication and potential unreliablility (Ritchey, Salsa etc).

jameso

SS is a bit niche, if you want SS-specific there isn’t a lot of choice. I’d forget about what alloy the frame uses and just look for a good steel SS frame based on whether you want ‘tough’ or ‘flexy/lively’. 853’s got nice properties but there’s cr-mo frames out there that are a more springy/flexible ride than some 853 frames. 853 in itself does not impart any particular qualities to a frame.

takisawa2

I must remind myself more often that the EBB is actually compromising the ride on my SIR.9. 🙂

neilwheel
    Free Member

I must remember to nip up my unreliable Salsa bolts again, it must have been at least three months now.
    I also don’t like the complex adjustable chain stay length either, makes my brain ache.

adsh
    Free Member

I know I suffer from engineering pedantry but EBBs do tend to creak more and I witnessed a DNF recently from a sliding dropout bolt loss. I’m sure both are fine with correct maintenance but they’re compromises for single speeding, which if you never intend to do is unnecessary.

takisawa2

🙂
    Granted.
    Shame Niner discontinued the MCR.9, as I can imagine that too was a lovely ride.

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for an MCR for 9 months. Have just given up and ordered a Curtis XC9. 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SSable Reynolds 853 29er frames availability ?’ is closed to new replies.