Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SS Road Bike – What ratio?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Soz if this one has been done before but I'm building up a SS road bike and have no idea of what ratio gearing to use.

I've got a choice of chainsets (4 arm MTB & 5 arm road) so should be able to get a chain ring to fit.

I also have a 16t freewheel in my spares box

What has anybody else used?

Cheers for any assistance

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Polished bars ken – you never did get back to me re. photos. What do you think?

fontmoss
    Free Member

ive got 42:16 freewheel on my cross bike which is bit steep offroad but fine on road-had 46:16 on another road ss which was bit steep

MrSmith
    Free Member

ratios for mtb's gear inches for road bikes.
    about 67-74in depending on terrain is a good place to start.
    there are plenty of gear inch calculators on t'web.

ken_shields
    Free Member

racing_ralph

Thanks for the pics and the bars look cool but I'm still not sure if I want to change

I'll let you know

MrSmith – Member
    ratios for mtb's gear inches for road bikes.
    about 67-74in depending on terrain is a good place to start.
    there are plenty of gear inch calculators on t'web.

Thanks for your help, I didn't think it was a difficult question but I was forgetting the appearance of the STW pedant. Apologies for not using the correct terminology. I am but a simple mountain biker, I only wanted to know what size front chain ring folk are using

MrSmith
    Free Member

46/17 or 73 inches.
    i wasn't chastising for not using the right terminology but offering advice to make it easier to work out a gear.
    i.e.put your freewheel ratio into the calculator and see what chainring(s) give you a reasonable g.i.
    40-44 will give give you 67.5 to 72.2 inches which will be a good starting point for on-road

http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

RichPenny
    Free Member

Surely no-one will be able to tell you, since we don't know how fit you are and how hilly it is where you're likely to be riding. I use 42/16 because I'm not that fit and I like to be able to make it up some small hills if I need to.

samuri
    Free Member

Anyone not riding 94 or greater is a poor excuse for a rider.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Anyone riding 94 or greater is a poor excuse for a human being 🙂

MrGreedy

As above, depends on fitness and hilliness. I ride 42:16 on my Pompino – that's on flattish terrain, but used mainly as a winter hack so rides tend to be fairly relaxed and gentle (spinning at anything over 18mph gets a bit frantic). I presume you mean freewheel, but if you were going fixed I'd suggest a slightly longer gear so you don't spin out and knacker your knees on descents so easily.

Edit – ah, you did specify freewheel; the advice still stands, you're bound to try fixed eventually!

epicyclo

48/18

Woody
    Free Member

Anyone riding 94 or greater either lives in Norfolk or looks like this

soobalias
    Free Member

2.7:1

paulfulford
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain but 48:16 is fine for the steep hills of London 🙄 and I could pretty much grind up anything on 46:16

ken_shields
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for the assistance. I think I'll try 42/44 with the 16 as I have those big rings already

Cheers guys 😀

cp

I run 18:48, which for me I'd a good combo- riding the hills of the dark peak and flattish stuff. That's on a 700c.

But it does vary a lot- if your a spinner or a masher.. I tend to push a big gear.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good job you posted this. I'm building a crosser for off road winter training in the Chilterns and was going to run a 36 up front.
    Bearing in mind I want to ride up climbs I always see people walking on even with grannies.

stever
    Free Member

With the 16t I'd try the 42 ring first and see how you get on. Good starting point and you'll know better than the rest of us after you've ridden it for a bit. I like 42×16 fixed on the road. I sometimes use a 38 and change to a 16 freewheel if I'm going offroad more, but it takes me longer to get to work 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ken I run 48/18 around the mean streets of North Buckinghamshire and it does everything I want to. Can still spin along at a fair pace and nothing is a major struggle up hill.

oldgit
    Free Member

I could do with a test run. Bearing in mind I use the 34 on my crosser for most off road stuff. I guess I'm looking for the 700c equivalent of 32/16 and 32/18.
    To me 48/18 sounds massive for off road hills. I'm sure for climbing something like Ivinghoe Beacon in deep mud or snow and ice will require something far smaller.
    Ah you're all talking road aren't you…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SS Road Bike – What ratio?’ is closed to new replies.