Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SS ratios on 29er ?
  • franki
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a SS 29er, after riding 26″ SS for a few years. The bike comes with 33:18 which feels a bit odd at the moment. It’s a bit too much of a grunt on slow speed, tight singletrack climbs, but spins up to speed and maintains speed really easily and I can rush “power climbs” with less effort than my old bike.

I guess the different wheel size and pros & cons of how it rolls will take some getting used to and I can always try to improve my fitness and get used to pushing harder on steep narrow stuff, but I’m not a big gear monster and used to run 32:17 ( or 32:18 for Wales / Peaks) on the 26″.

It’s got a freewheel, rather than sprocket & spacers, so I guess I’m limited to White Industires F/Ws if I go over 18t, which seems a bit of an outlay for occasional big hills use.
    I might ditch the 33 for a 32 to start with, but I’ll ride it more first and see how I get on.

As a noob to the big wheel world, I’d like some advice on what others run as standard and what you might run for something like the Dyfi Enduro. (As an example.)

Thanks!

JoB
    Free Member

32:18 on the SS 29er here, for everything, including the Dyfi Enduro, if you change gear on a SS to suit a different terrain you’ve bought the wrong bike

franki
    Free Member

JoB wrote:

32:18 on the SS 29er here, for everything, including the Dyfi Enduro, if you change gear on a SS to suit a different terrain you’ve bought the wrong bike

I see the sense in that, but I live in the mountain-devoid Midlands and 99% of my riding is Cannock or The Wyre Forest, so a big ride in proper hills comes as a bit of a shock to the system! I’m sure I’m not alone in the occasional gearing down.

JoB
    Free Member

gear down or man up, your choice

😉

Clobber
    Free Member

32:18 for normal riding, 32:20 for when it gets hilly/muddy for me

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got 32:20 at the moment for the North Yorkshir Moors, it’s still too much on the climbs and too spinny on the flats though 🙁 33:18 is aproximatley the same as 2:1 on a 26″ SS.

I use a 4.1m gear.
    It was a bit high at Wiggle Enduro 6 last weekend, but is fine for commuting and round the Wyre Forest.

miketually
    Free Member

32:18 on a 29er is near enough the same as 32:16 on a 26er. Therefore, it is the only acceptable ratio.

I run 32:17 on my 26er and 34:16 (fixed) on my 29er, because I’m a contrarian.

I’m a firm believer in run what you brung and not changing ratios (or tyres) for different ride/events (not that I do many of either).

bentos
    Free Member

I live in Norfolk (Norwich which is surprisingly hilly) and ride 34:18 here and change to 34:17 for things like the Dyfi, Peaks etc.

When changing from a 26 SS I used Sheldon Brown’s gear calculatorto transfer my preferences across the two.

franki
    Free Member

I’ve got 32:20 at the moment for the North Yorkshir Moors, it’s still too much on the climbs and too spinny on the flats though

That’s the thing I found odd coming from a 26″ SS. The slow speed stuff feels HARD, but you can fly along at high speed with no effort!
    The characteristics of the bigger wheel are much more noticable than I expected.
    I guess it’ll be MTFU then, eh JoB? 😀

Tbh, I’ve only just got the bike, so I need to spend some time on it, but the gearing felt strange – almost like it had 2 gears.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s the thing I found odd coming from a 26″ SS. The slow speed stuff feels HARD, but you can fly along at high speed with no effort!
    The characteristics of the bigger wheel are much more noticable than I expected.

nahhhhh, I started at 32:18 and it was fine, I just got fat and lazy over the winter.

singlespeedstu

Another vote for 32:18 here.

Though i have just fitted a 33t wonky ring on one bike to try it.

tazzymtb

34-19 is spot on for me for big peak district and north wales rides. works ace for racey stuff as well

thomthumb
    Free Member

as above add 2 teeth for 29er ratios. i like 32:18/20

so I guess I’m limited to White Industires F/Ws if I go over 18t,

nah. cheaper ones available. just googled & found 19/20s easily available.

rOcKeTdOg

32:19 for the NW Alps, great on the short sharp stuff, rubbish on the flat

Keef
    Free Member

Franki,35/19 for Cannock.unless it’s VERY muddy. 33/19 for away days,if you’ve got to fanny around with gearies,and like to chat……

Rorschach
    Free Member

33/18 was fine at the dyfi.If I had been in a racey mood I probably would have stuck a 17 on maybe.Only got a 33 cos they were cheaper than 32’s (stoopid 102bcd).

womble72
    Free Member

36/16 on my swift. No idea how that compares to the others above but feels ok for bumbling around my area.

charliedontsurf

Like they are all say 32:18 is good, I go 32:17 for a little extra speed.

But it’s a single speed, so you are never in the right gear for long, get off and push if you want. No shame in that.

drofluf
    Free Member

34:18 for me.

If you go for a cheaper freewheel steer clear of the Dicta ones. Mine self destructed the first time that it got wet, after 80 miles!

If you’re not convinced look at Park Tools removal method – not for the mechanically sensitive.

flashes
    Free Member

I use 34 X 16 on mine but it’s fixed…………

flashes
    Free Member

Actually, has anyone used the double freewheel? Thinking of doing a version of the Wessex Way, Tow path start, then South Downs Way. Thinking 34 X 16 / 18?
    Thoughts??

Sam

34-19 most of the time here.

womble – 36-16? You are a monster!

ds3000
    Free Member

Run 32:18 most of the time, however I have my first race coming up in a few months, IOM end to end, I’d love to stay SS but somehow I think it might be a disaster. Thinking maybe a 1Xsomething, say 7 or 8 with a short cage road mech and cassette.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SS ratios on 29er ?’ is closed to new replies.